Why become a member? ×

Is music getting worse ?

funkgod

Is music getting worse ?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Is music getting worse ?

• Is music getting worse ........Yes
    • Is music getting worse ........No

I am interested to see how many musicians think music is getting worse, cant just be me. i will be honest i don't know what is in the charts right now, i think as we get older we choose a direction and tend to explore that to the point of it getting so involved everything goes by the way side, i am very guilty of this, on saying this i do believe music is getting worse. here is a vid, i wonder how many people agree with this, and the big question for those that agree  is there a way back ?

i realise this topic is going to open a few cans, so i am going to try add a poll to see if you agree with the vid or not. Be interesting to see the outcome.

The TRUTH Why Modern Music Is Awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVME_l4IwII

Edited by funkgod

A really interesting video. Is it just  music or is everything getting worse ? Films, tv, literature and even politics have all been dumbed down for the reasons stated in the video - risk aversion and the need for a commercial return. Conversely , the fact that it's now much easier for more people to make music with garageband, fruity loops etc. can only be a good thing as who cares about chart music anyway !

4 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Musical taste is developed in our youth, so what we like as teens tends to stay into adulthood. 

Screen_Shot_2018_02_12_at_08.15.56.jpeg

I totally agree with this. It's certainly true in my case. I still listen to pretty much exclusively the same bands I did in my teens. I've hardly gotten into any new music for years, and even then, never in the same way as I did then. It's weird, but for someone who likes playing music, I don't actually listen to much at all any more. 

• Like 1

I think that you could have had this debate at any time since the turn of the last century.

I believe that with the advent of every new genre the criticism has been there - from Jazz, through R'n'R, the Beatles and the Stones (get yer hair cut laddie!!), Prog & Heavy rock, Punk and through to the various forms of Electronic music which many would say takes no musical ability.

Personally I think that music has been going down hill since the end of the 80s, but Jon Milner said something similar in American Graffiti about music since the death of Buddy Holly. 

Just put it down to age...

There isn't the same investment in bands anymore - record companies want an instant return, Cowell needs a new boat so they have to deliver immediately or they're gone. They don't get the same chance to develop their skills as songwriters and artists.

I love Queen and can listen to most of what they recorded but it took 4 albums before they were ready to deliver A Day at the Races. Don't get me wrong, I love the first 4 albums, but this was to me the point where they started to deliver their best work.

It's the throwaway culture that also happens to include pop music. The stuff that is in the charts now will be forgotten about in maybe 6 months.

Plus, as has been mentioned before, pop music isn't aimed at us. It was when we were spotty teenagers but not now. The charts seem to be  full or songs that sound like nursery rhymes with words repeated ad nausem, a bit of rap and random noises.

Has anyone else noticed that there is a trend again for singers to sound like they are from Jamaica? I remember that period in the 90s where every black artist had dreads and claimed to be from Kingston Jamaica despite actually hailing from Croydon.

• Like 3

What grinds my gears with songs from chart/pop/AirPlay genres is when half the lyrics are blanked out because they are unsuitable to air . FFS if the song isn’t suitable , don’t play it !

why promote this stuff when it is so full of language that has to be removed, that it really can’t tell the story it is intended to tell 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

There's great music being made currently. We just have to look harder to find it. 

There's great music being made currently for people who are 40-50 younger than me! My listening preferences are music from my teens and early 20s. Sadly, those days are long ago. I am rarely subjected to modern music, as my children have long since left home (and both prefer older stuff anyway!) and am not exposed to radio or television.

43 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

There isn't the same investment in bands anymore - record companies want an instant return, Cowell needs a new boat so they have to deliver immediately or they're gone. They don't get the same chance to develop their skills as songwriters and artists.

I love Queen and can listen to most of what they recorded but it took 4 albums before they were ready to deliver A Day at the Races. Don't get me wrong, I love the first 4 albums, but this was to me the point where they started to deliver their best work.

It's the throwaway culture that also happens to include pop music. The stuff that is in the charts now will be forgotten about in maybe 6 months.

Plus, as has been mentioned before, pop music isn't aimed at us. It was when we were spotty teenagers but not now. The charts seem to be  full or songs that sound like nursery rhymes with words repeated ad nausem, a bit of rap and random noises.

Has anyone else noticed that there is a trend again for singers to sound like they are from Jamaica? I remember that period in the 90s where every black artist had dreads and claimed to be from Kingston Jamaica despite actually hailing from Croydon.

This is a very good point, it`s rare that a band delivers its best work on its first album - ok a few do, Never Mind The Bollocks, Appetite for Destruction spring to mind - but usually a band has to mature, such as Queen/U2/Oasis etc. It seems to me that the music industry now wants instant mega-return or they`re not interested. Which is a shame as I just wonder how many non-instant-hitters there are that had a killer 3rd or 4th album in them around that we`ve never heard of.

I reckon it`s time for electric guitars again - it seems to be a cycle, electric guitars for a few years, manufactured pop for a few years, repeat, repeat. The manufactured stuff has been around long enough now, lets get some yobbos back on stage playing live and not playing the fame game in the way that the companies would like.

In my opinion? Yes. 

Last 24 hours I've listened to Hendrix, The Stooges, Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers.....can't think of anything this century that comes close. I'm a rock, soul, jazz fan. 

Today.....souless, sanitised....I think there was a turning point around the early 00's.

And I'm in my early 40s.....so wasn't around for so much 'classic' stuff at the time.

Last week I put on Miles Davis Live At The Filmore. 49 years young, and more of a challenge/immersive experience than is possible today. Sadly. 

• Like 1

What were your parent’s thoughts on this, when you were in your teens?

My thoughts no, definitely not. I love jazz, and experimental music, both of these are in my opinion very healthy. I think one of the reasons why it’s so healthy is partly down to technology, people can record professional quality albums in their spare rooms, then they have sites like Bandcamp to distribute it through. Some artists I know are producing amazing and beautifully packaged music.

• Like 2