Why become a member? ×

Wal Pro II-E, form an orderly queue

Rich

On 11/08/2019 at 15:15, Rich said:

Yes, it might be a JG serial, but non-original neck, non-original case, control knob missing? Yup, that's definitely worth £1500 over the odds. Cough.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264427326214?ul_noapp=true

Forgive me if I've missed something, but what shows that this has a non-original neck?

18 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

Forgive me if I've missed something, but what shows that this has a non-original neck?

Roughly speaking, there are three ages of Wal headstock.
Generally the earlier PB basses and most of the JG basses would have looked like the one on the left (mine is PB1533 and it's like this).
Later PB basses and the early Customs were like the middle one, with the outer laminates dispensed with.
Finally, the later Custom basses (Mks.1 and 2) have the headstock on the right.

Please note that this is massively simplified and that there are some variations. But I do not believe there is any way that JG1152 would have left the factory with the slimmer headstock. Hence my conviction that this is not the original neck. More info here. https://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/

wal headstocks.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Roughly speaking, there are three ages of Wal headstock.
Generally the earlier PB basses and most of the JG basses would have looked like the one on the left (mine is PB1533 and it's like this).
Later PB basses and the early Customs were like the middle one, with the outer laminates dispensed with.
Finally, the later Custom basses (Mks.1 and 2) have the headstock on the right.

Please note that this is massively simplified and that there are some variations. But I do not believe there is any way that JG1152 would have left the factory with the slimmer headstock. Hence my conviction that this is not the original neck. More info here. https://walbasshistory.blogspot.com/

wal headstocks.jpg

Very informative post, I really enjoy reading stuffing like this.

As an aside, people should check out the seller's other auctions. He has an amazing collections of old 70s and 80s guitars, largely old Yamahas. His prices seem a little high, but it's would be hard to imagine seeing a collection like that anywhere else. Looking at it, I was actually wondering if he wasn't some famous musician from the 80s flogging off his old gear.

Ah the great and well known Joey Morewood.  For a man with so many lovely guitars and basses he appears to know nothing about any of them.  Disingenuity I fear, in pursuit of a greater margin.  Wouldn't touch this bass with a bargepole at anything near that price.

Dealt with this seller once.

never again.

Think it’s the single most bizarre buying experience of my life.

I still to the day can’t express how sad it made me. No matter how good the bass was, it was a shite experience.

The bass I bought was originally listed at £725, I agreed £400, ended up paying £280 when I saw it and sold it soon after for £300 after making it loads better.

I don’t like to call people out and make a fuss, but this guy is a bit of a crook to be honest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NickA said:

Ah the great and well known Joey Morewood.  For a man with so many lovely guitars and basses he appears to know nothing about any of them.  Disingenuity I fear, in pursuit of a greater margin.  Wouldn't touch this bass with a bargepole at anything near that price.

4 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Dealt with this seller once.

never again.

Think it’s the single most bizarre buying experience of my life.

I still to the day can’t express how sad it made me. No matter how good the bass was, it was a shite experience.

The bass I bought was originally listed at £725, I agreed £400, ended up paying £280 when I saw it and sold it soon after for £300 after making it loads better.

I don’t like to call people out and make a fuss, but this guy is a bit of a crook to be honest.

What an informative thread this has turned out to be!!! :D So you guys know him?

Like I said above, I thought his collection was very impressive, as I've never seen so many old Yamahas in one place like that, and he has some models I've not even seen before. However, as you've both suggested (and was also suggested above) his prices do seem to be on the high side.

I guess at the end of the day, if his prices are too high, people won't touch his auctions.

Know OF him.  Through similar Wal selling attempts.  He usually has two or three Wals, they are often proclaimed to be for sale, but prices are rarely mentioned.

This Wal, specifically, has an unexplained replacement neck ( no bad thing for a player, tho a collector wouldn't like it ) also has a knob missing which, in this case means the shaft is broken or gone; needs a new pot soldered onto the PCB and short of 3d printing one , a new knob would be hard to find.  At around £3000 it might be a decent budget way into Wal ownership for someone prepared to do or commission repairs & renovation.

Edited by NickA

It's also on Mr Morewood's own site ..https://elitevintageguitars.com/category/wal-bass-pro-ii-e/

Better photos and, yes really, a jg build plate.  seems the last two jg basses (1152 and 1153) were pro 2es.  This then could be the FIRST Pro2e ( well, some of it)

JG_list_cropped.JPG

And it's ash not "mahogy"..

Thanks to Mr Raggarts Wal history ... from which I have cribbed with impunity 🙂