Why become a member? ×

Peavey Foundation Bass Day

luckman67

I have had a lot going on at work recently so playing bass has been hit & miss for a while. Anyhow I've been moving things around this morning and opened up, the case containing my 1986 Peavey Foundation bass. So I tuned it up and gave it a quick clean & put it through my Fender Rumble 200 combo I had forgotten how, good and easy this bass felt to play & how well made they were as well.

Will be playing this a lot today

20190811_135931 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Yes, my 80's Foundation was a better build - I loved the earlier bridges especially - it felt an altogether more solid bass.

Sound wise I'd say there's not too much between them.

Maybe the earlier bass had slightly more definition in the sound.

Edited by Tim Chapple
  • Like 1

I loved the body & headstock shape more than anything, I always thought that it was Peaveys best design. Your right about the sound of the SF pickups in both basses not much really to separate them, bar for the 80's body being Maple & the 90's being Alder IIRC.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, luckman67 said:

Lovely sunburst. Hindsight can be a cruel thing when you, regret letting something go only to want it back.

Yeah I could kick myself for selling this on... I felt at the time that I should have a Fender.... the Mex precision I ended up with sounded nowhere near as good.

• Like 1

I have three.  I need to play them more.  The metallic pink one is probably going to be parted out as it is very battered and the tuner bushes are tending to pull out of the headstock.  The others are a pair of fretted and fretless sunbursts.  I don't really like sunburst much, tbh, but the matched pair was just too tempting :)

• Like 2

I'm of the opinion that Peavey made some fine basses.  Particularly ( in my case ) 2 Peavey basses i used to own ..the active  Rudy Sarzo which was their flagship back in the day. I belive they only made them for 2 years, and from beautiful woods.

And my C4 , another beautiful looking neck through bass. Both had fabulous tone

Psarzo2.jpg

Psarzo1.jpg

PVC4b.jpg

PVC4a.jpg

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, fleabag said:

I'm of the opinion that Peavey made some fine basses.  Particularly ( in my case ) 2 Peavey basses i used to own ..the active  Rudy Sarzo which was their flagship back in the day. I belive they only made them for 2 years, and from beautiful woods.

And my C4 , another beautiful looking neck through bass. Both had fabulous tone

Psarzo2.jpg

Psarzo1.jpg

Even now in 2019 the Peavey Sarzo is one stunningly beautiful bass 😍

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 2elliot said:

Wonderful bass. I've been on the hunt for an 80s Foundation for a while... black and maple with super ferite pickups.  

This is the video that made me want to find an 80's Peavey Foundation, in the classic Black & Maple look 😎

• Like 2

I've always been intrigued by these basses. They get rave reviews but they go for next to nothing in the USA which surprises me as they're USA made and look really well made basses. Peavey build quality is great when it comes to guitars, so their basses shouldn't be any different.

Maybe one day I'll pick one up for the right price.

• Like 1

I missed one a couple of years back in sunburst with a gig bag, £100 from Music Express.  I thought I'd find loads at that price only to find that they were, a well kept secret & then the prices started to creep up. I can't complain though my 86 Foundation with OHSC delivered, was less than a new Squier VM Jazz.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...