Why become a member? ×

Whats the going rate for the average pub gig?

krispn

I can't remember exact figures from , but I recall between £20 and up to £40 on a good night in the early 90s, so we were probably getting £100-£200 as a five piece in the Midlands, originals, pubs and small local clubs. I think my first band (covers) used to ask £60-£80, in the late 80s in South Wales. Looks like places were a bit more generous when they didn't have the internet and wide screen TV to compete with.

51 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Cool article, In the States if your were making $18,000.00 annually in 1969 you were doing pretty good.

Blue

. Jimi Hendrix – $18,000

That's probably $2 for everyone that watched him, most of the crowd had gone home by the time he closed the festival.

Most interesting is to see the pecking order. 1 Arlo has parity with a CSNY!

9 minutes ago, rogerstodge said:

Scam 69, Punk/ new wave covers band not a sham 69 tribute as you’d expect with that name, I’ve actually left now, decided to take this year off as they were far too busy for me but doubt they’ll take me back

I've seen you at the Crown in Hornchurch....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

. Jimi Hendrix – $18,000

That's probably $2 for everyone that watched him, most of the crowd had gone home by the time he closed the festival.

Most interesting is to see the pecking order. 1 Arlo has parity with a CSNY!

Yeah, Jimi's time slot was weird.

Blue

18 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I can't remember exact figures from , but I recall between £20 and up to £40 on a good night in the early 90s, so we were probably getting £100-£200 as a five piece in the Midlands, originals, pubs and small local clubs. I think my first band (covers) used to ask £60-£80, in the late 80s in South Wales. Looks like places were a bit more generous when they didn't have the internet and wide screen TV to compete with.

We got $500.00 this past Sunday. You really can't get anymore $ for a 4 hour bar gig in my area.

Blue

On 13/08/2019 at 18:25, AndyTravis said:

£250 in Manchester when I did the pub covers thing a few years ago

That's pretty good cash. Pub gigs are 2 hours , right? Right now $500.00 for a 4 hour bar gig in my neck of the woods is the top of the scale.

Weve pulled as much as an extra $200.00 in tips.

Blue

I'd wondered if we tried this over the Edinburgh festival gig (in our regular venue) if it might generate some extra as there is a big culture of the 'tips bucket' for payment thing but it would be rude seeing as we do get an actual wage!

2 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Yeah, Jimi's time slot was weird.

Blue

He was booked to 'close the festival' which was going to be the end of Sunday night, but things over-ran and over-ran. They gave him the choice of sticking to his slot, but he said he would stick with the closing spot.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, krispn said:

I'd wondered if we tried this over the Edinburgh festival gig (in our regular venue) if it might generate some extra as there is a big culture of the 'tips bucket' for payment thing but it would be rude seeing as we do get an actual wage!

We never use a tip bucket at festivals , fairs or private events. We only use it at bars.

Is it a cultural thing. I pay $20.00 for a haircut and I tip an extra $5.00. I doubt she sees much of that $20.00. She keeps the $5.00.

Blue

9 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

It's not  'festival' gig per se but the Edonburgh Fringe comedy festival is happening for the month of August and a lot of the up nad coming folk and 'free' gigs which are put on in bars and clubs across the city use the tip model and essential are non paid gigs.

We only play bar gigs.

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1