Why become a member? ×

Setup issues w/my new Sire M2

wishface

1 minute ago, Christine said:

I suppose it could be a peculiarity of the string where it vibrated more but the tighter they are the less movement it can make and the less chance you have of fret buzz

Who knows (ie, not me). That's just how it feels. I don't really understand how strings work enough to explain these things. I just pluck them :D

33 minutes ago, wishface said:

Also: this bass has two stringing options, back of the bridge or through the body from under the bass. Is one better than the others?

On the basses that I've had with that option, I've not been able to detect any difference. Others will tell you that the sustain/resonance or whatever, is vastly improved by stringing through the body.

1 hour ago, Christine said:

I suppose it could be a peculiarity of the string where it vibrated more but the tighter they are the less movement it can make and the less chance you have of fret buzz

I suspect the strings are heavier gauge, so have more tension, so have pulled the neck more curved, raising the action to above where the buzz occurred previously.

• Like 1

Regarding re-stringing... I normally go through a setup routine to check if a change of string has affected the relief and intonation and that's even when it's the same gauge. As I said earlier, buzzing high up is usually due to too much relief. Clearly whenever you fret a string you're eliminating any problems with the nut. If you've reduced fret buzz with the old strings that you've now put on then I suspect they're of lower tension (than the original set) so the neck now has less relief. 

Edited by HowieBass
Corrected spelling
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, HowieBass said:

Regarding re-stringing... I normally go through a setup routine to check if a change of string has affected the relief and intonation and that's even when it's the same gauge. As I said earlier, buzzing high up is usually due to too much relief. Clearly whenever you fret a string you're eliminating any problems with the nut. If you've reduced fret buzz with the old strings that you've now put on then I suspect they're of lower tension (than the original set) so the neck now has less relief. 

I would agree with this regarding strings 

an M2 probably comes with 45 to 105 as they are Marcus's favoured gage

the heavy gage would definitely create more relief ,and the newer strings would also pickup the buzzing more when amplified.  

• Like 1