Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 1974 (Original) Black/Maple/Blocks - SOLD!
£3000
Nottingham

clarkpegasus4001

After a rethink on the price, a huge price drop to £2750, now £2350! (sorry I couldn't change the main add price after I had posted it originally).

After some considerable consideration, I have decided to sell my original 1974 Fender Jazz bass. 

The bass has the original black factory finish (custom colour for the time), with a black pick guard and complete with a maple neck with pearl blocks.

All the parts are original to my knowledge. The bass is also lightweight at just over 8lbs. I am the 3rd owner, the guy I bought it from had it from 1980 and he bought it from the original owner.

The bass is dated from the neck plate 502248 (source - Fender Vintage 50,000 to 58,000 = 1974, and the pick ups which are stamped 74 (one clear to read one not really readable but it is the original one). The original pots are dated  from 1973, and the neck is actually dated from 1972 (02033923) meaning Jazz bass, Maple neck, Wednesday 27th September 1972). There is nothing "funny" about this, it was common place for Fender employees to just grab parts off the shelf. All the parts are original to this bass except the pick guard. Somebody had tried to relocate the thumb rest but the holes have been refilled. I managed to source an original 1974 pick guard from the USA so it's back to original! 

The bass came to me with a generic 70's case, however I bought a period correct Fender case from Tony Williams (bass player of Stealers Wheel fame and who toured with Jethro Tull in the late 1970's). He very kindly sent me a certification of authenticity with the case and a Jethro Tull touring tag (see pics). 

The bass was set up to perfection by Xperience Guitars in Nottingham, (low action, currently with Rotosound 105-45 Swing Bass strings). All the electrics work fine, the bridge pick up has been repaired but it is the original one, and rest assured everything functions exactly as it should. There are a couple of marks on the neck, non of which effects playability. The bass has marks, light scratches, dents etc... and crazing as you would expect, but overall i'd say it is in excellent condition for it's age. It sounds sweet as a nut too!

So, the bass comes with the period correct case with certificate from Tony Williams, the original pick guard (pick guard replaced with an original 1974 part), original thumb rest with screws, and the original covers too! I am also including an original long screw and saddle that I bought as a spare from the USA. The only parts not original that i'm aware of are the covers screws which are 1970's period correct replacements. I have never used the covers or thumb rest and they are in excellent condition. I have placed them on the bass for photographic purposes.

This bass has been used for gigs in Judas Priest tribute band Hell Bent For Priest, Ronnie James Dio tribute band DIIO (D2O), and classic rock and metal covers band Synner. 

I am only selling this bass because I rarely use it anymore as I am using my Musicman Sabre all the time these days.

I think I have priced it fairly at £2750 (new price - £2,350) which includes UK postage (elsewhere at cost,) given I have seen these go for way more than this and that's with missing/changed parts, refinishes, missing case, etc..... I will post but i'd far sooner you came to my place to see and try this beauty for yourself. I live about 5 minutes from junction 26 M1 Nottingham.

This is a proper classic, and sorted vintage bit of kit that will only keep on increasing in desirability and value. It plays and sounds wonderful and is in great condition for it''s age, and lightweight too. In fact I have not seen a better one for sale for ages. 

I will only accept cash on collection, bank transfer or (PayPal if you are willing to pay any additional costs). Please be aware that buyers from abroad not in the EU will incur import duty and tax, paid for by the buyer. 

In all cases this bass does not leave my possession until I have the money in my hands. I may possibly take a P/X or possible exchange (a Pre-Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray in Sunburst ideally) but a cash sale is much preferred please.

Check out the pics.

Tony.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.JPG

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Edited by clarkpegasus4001
  • Like 12

Really nice bass Tony!
Great to have the authentication material with it too :)
Sadly, it's out of my price range (Mrs S would go nuts! lol)
And I already have way too many.... sigh! ;)

GLWTS - though I'm sure this won't be here very long

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 13:03, Marc S said:

Really nice bass Tony!
Great to have the authentication material with it too :)
Sadly, it's out of my price range (Mrs S would go nuts! lol)
And I already have way too many.... sigh! ;)

GLWTS - though I'm sure this won't be here very long

Thank you sir, very nice of you to say so.  

I've already had offers of swops/P/X but i'd sooner have a cash sale at the moment unless it's something that really takes my fancy. I already have a couple of other vintage basses. 

All PM's replied to. If you wish to offer me a specific P/X, it would be good to send me pics and info of the bass you wish to P/X.

I might consider an interesting (and sensible!) straight exchange or P/X, try me, I can only say no, but a cash sale is still preferred. PM me a sensible offer? I doubt you will find an original cheaper 1974 Fender Jazz anywhere. Thank you. Tony.

On 17/09/2019 at 19:15, clarkpegasus4001 said:

All PM's replied to. If you wish to offer me a specific P/X, it would be good to send me pics and info of the bass you wish to P/X.

I might consider an interesting (and sensible!) straight exchange or P/X, try me, I can only say no, but a cash sale is still preferred. PM me a sensible offer? I doubt you will find an original cheaper 1974 Fender Jazz anywhere. Thank you. Tony.

You certainly won’t find a better value one. I was hoping to win the lottery and send you a pm by now but sadly for both of us it hasn’t worked out

56 minutes ago, OliverBlackman said:

You certainly won’t find a better value one. I was hoping to win the lottery and send you a pm by now but sadly for both of us it hasn’t worked out

A lottery win wouldn't go amiss for the both of us then mate  😉  I'm surprised it's still here. PM sent. 

10 hours ago, iMilanek said:

What are those "some Eastern block countries" you do not like?

That paragraph as been removed my friend. I'd sooner not ship to Italy only because i've read of insurance/postage issues with the Italian post however I will consider it, and Africa because of a poor scamming record. No offence intended. Any country not in the EU will incur extra costs of course. A PM has been sent to you to explain what I meant originally.

2 hours ago, clarkpegasus4001 said:

That paragraph as been removed my friend. I'd sooner not ship to Italy only because i've read of insurance/postage issues with the Italian post however I will consider it, and Africa because of a poor scamming record. No offence intended. Any country not in the EU will incur extra costs of course. A PM has been sent to you to explain what I meant originally.

All good. Just asked, thanks🍻

As it was close by, I couldn't help myself but to pop over and play this bass. It checked out as the vintage instrument described, and it was a cracking bass to play, particularly if you play plectrum style. It's got the 70s jazz bass sound in spades. Guess I'm going to have to sell a bass or a kidney....

I can vouch for Tony  too. Although we've only met twice, he's always been a friendly, upfront, and straightforward guy.He's a damn good player and he certainly knows his stuff re vintage fenders.

A vintage bass from one of the genuine guys on Basschat.

Edited by loweringthetone
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, loweringthetone said:

As it was close by, I couldn't help myself but to pop over and play this bass. It checked out as the vintage instrument described, and it was a cracking bass to play, particularly if you play plectrum style. It's got the 70s jazz bass sound in spades. Guess I'm going to have to sell a bass or a kidney....

I can vouch for Tony  too. Although we've only met twice, he's always been a friendly, upfront, and straightforward guy.He's a damn good player and he certainly knows his stuff re vintage fenders.

A vintage bass from one of the genuine guys on Basschat.

That is so nice of you to say those lovely words, I really appreciate it. I'm glad you took the time out to come and have a play on my bass. I'm surprised it's still here TBH, it deserves to be played. It was lovely meeting you again and I hope we meet up again sometime in the future. Cheers Tony .

• clarkpegasus4001 changed the title to Fender Jazz Bass 1974 (Original) Black/Maple/Blocks £2,550

You guys are hard work! ha ha, Ok, another £100 off the asking price, now £2550 inc UK postage, elsewhere at cost.

I will still consider a P/X or swop but cash is much preferred. Don't let this vintage beauty slip you by at this price Open to serious offers.

Cheers Tony. 

• clarkpegasus4001 changed the title to Fender Jazz Bass 1974 (Original) Black/Maple/Blocks - SOLD!
  • MB1 locked this topic