Why become a member? ×

Foreigners welcome

Newfoundfreedom

As some of the regulars on here may or may not know, I now live in Bulgaria, having made the break from the UK 4 years ago (hence the forum name).

I'm a newborn bass player, now I'm my mid 40's, having not really played since leaving school at 16.

I've tried joining / starting many bands over the years in the UK, but due to very busy work / life commitments, nothings ever really got off the ground. 

So, quite randomly, I met a few other British musicians out here in my local area. Now this might not sound like a big deal, but this is central, extremely rural Bulgaria, not a holiday resort. So the chances of us meeting in the first place are extremely remote. Plus my wife is the singer, having done the club scene in the UK for many years singing and running a karaoke business. 

Anyhow. We decided to try and get something going a few months ago and after a bit of hard work and rehearsals, we've done several gigs in the past few weeks.

We decided, as a band (especially given the local pay rates) that it was never going to be about money, so we may as well try and raise some money for a good cause. So all the gigs we do go towards raising money to support a charity helping children in care here in Bulgaria. 

Tonight we played a local, extremely rural bar in a small village, which was probably 80% Bulgarian, 20% British (due to our promotion) audience. 

It was an absolutely superb gig. Outdoors in the heat of summer (30C degrees at 11pm) and the audience, both Brits and Bulgarians were brilliant, and we managed to raise a fair few quid for the charity. (zov.org.uk if anyone's interested) 

So here's the icing on the cake.

After the gig we were given this by the owner and staff of the bar. It's a framed, printed bit of paper which is absolutely worthless at face value, but to me it's priceless. 

It says.

Thank you MissEducation (our band) 

Keep doing good things.

Bulgaria is as much yours as it is ours. 

From Krichmata (the pub) Lesicheri (the village) 

Best payday I've ever had! 

IMG_20190811_031157.jpg

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Like 37

5 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

As some of the regulars on here may or may not know, I now live in Bulgaria, having made the break from the UK 4 years ago (hence the forum name).

I'm a newborn bass player, now I'm my mid 40's, having not really played since leaving school at 16.

I've tried joining / starting many bands over the years in the UK, but due to very busy work / life commitments, nothings ever really got off the ground. 

So, quite randomly, I met a few other British musicians out here in my local area. Now this might not sound like a big deal, but this is central, extremely rural Bulgaria, not a holiday resort. So the chances of us meeting in the first place are extremely remote. Plus my wife is the singer, having done the club scene in the UK for many years singing and running a karaoke business. 

Anyhow. We decided to try and get something going a few months ago and after a bit of hard work and rehearsals, we've done several gigs in the past few weeks.

We decided, as a band (especially given the local pay rates) that it was never going to be about money, so we may as well try and raise some money for a good cause. So all the gigs we do go towards raising money to support a charity helping children in care here in Bulgaria. 

Tonight we played a local, extremely rural bar in a small village, which was probably 80% Bulgarian, 20% British (due to our promotion) audience. 

It was an absolutely superb gig. Outdoors in the heat of summer (30C degrees at 11pm) and the audience, both Brits and Bulgarians were brilliant, and we managed to raise a fair few quid for the charity. (zov.org.uk if anyone's interested) 

So here's the icing on the cake.

After the gig we were given this by the owner and staff of the bar. It's a framed, printed bit of paper which is absolutely worthless at face value, but to me it's priceless. 

It says.

Thank you MissEducation (our band) 

Keep doing good things.

Bulgaria is as much yours as it is ours. 

From Krichmata (the pub) Lesicheri (the village) 

Best payday I've ever had! 

IMG_20190811_031157.jpg

Superb, that's what I call a glowing endorsement. People can be wonderful, even to strangers. You are now locals it seems.

• Like 2