Why become a member? ×

Brighter Flatwound string recommendations?

TorturedSaints

Looking for advice . . .

I'm using generic new stainless steel flat wounds (.45-100 Picato brand) on my J copy passive fretless (dark fretboard, not maple) into a Quilter BB800 (contours set flat) and my Barefaced One10 for a new jazz project.  Neck, bridge and tone controls all turned up max.  While the sound would be good for dub or reggae, I would like a bit more top end (as would the pianist).  Any particular flat wound strings that would fit the bill? Current tension is fine, so not wanting to have a new set up with really low tension strings.   Or should I have asked this question before I changed from Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (which were also dull).

thanks

R

I gig with TI flats but I recently put D'Addario ECB 81 flatwounds on my USA SUB bass and they are definately brighter than the TI flats and a little higher tension too.

In fact, I bought two sets of ECB 81s to try on other basses.  That was months ago and I haven't got around to fitting them yet.  This is a good reminder to get on with it. :)

Here's a link to a very good article by the Bass Whisperer on flatwound strings.

https://www.bassplayer.com/gear/flat-world-a-roundup-of-flatwound-strings

Frank.

Edited by machinehead
add a link
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I gig with TI flats but I recently put D'Addario ECB 81 flatwounds on my USA SUB bass and they are definately brighter than the TI flats and a little higher tension too.

Thanks Frank.  Other research suggests the Ernie Ball Cobalt Super Slinkys, but I prefer real life testimonials like yours!

3 hours ago, TorturedSaints said:

Looking for advice . . .

I'm using generic new stainless steel flat wounds (.45-100 Picato brand) on my J copy passive fretless (dark fretboard, not maple) into a Quilter BB800 (contours set flat) and my Barefaced One10 for a new jazz project.  Neck, bridge and tone controls all turned up max.  While the sound would be good for dub or reggae, I would like a bit more top end (as would the pianist).  Any particular flat wound strings that would fit the bill? Current tension is fine, so not wanting to have a new set up with really low tension strings.   Or should I have asked this question before I changed from Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (which were also dull).

thanks

R

I also have a Quilter BB800 and a pair of Barefaced one10s.

I find that if I leave the EQs all centred the sound can be quite dark with this rig.  When I do the same with my Barefaced SM or BB2 it's a bit brighter.

I'm going to suggest that you try changing your EQ settings. Try turning the "contour" knob slightly anticlockwise, then turn the "depth" knob anticlockwise as well to remove some bass.  Experiment with the various combinations to get a sound you like.  You should get more top end.

Hopefully, if this works for you, you'll save some cash by not buying new strings, which is good. :)

Frank.

• Thanks 1

D'Addario, Fender flats and EB Colbalt's are all 'brighter' sounding flats.

However, a simple way to increase top end is to change the pots and capacitor. I once had a generic set of flats, they sounded a little muddy, so I changed the cap from 0.047 to a guitar 0.022, and pots from 250k to 500k and suddenly there was a lot more articulation and top end, but still retained low end thump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I find that if I leave the EQs all centred the sound can be quite dark with this rig.  When I do the same with my Barefaced SM or BB2 it's a bit brighter.

I'm going to suggest that you try changing your EQ settings. Try turning the "contour" knob slightly anticlockwise, then turn the "depth" knob anticlockwise as well to remove some bass.  Experiment with the various combinations to get a sound you like.  You should get more top end.

Hopefully, if this works for you, you'll save some cash by not buying new strings, which is good. :)

Frank.

Thanks again Frank, I have had a play with the EQ, but will try what you suggest.  I did wonder whether it was the voicing of the speaker in the One10 as well, as the SM and the BB2 are the hi-fi ones - I think taking my ST to a jazz rehearsal is a bit like overkill though 🙂

To be fair pretty much any flatwound will be brighter than picato which are about the darkest flat out there, Chrome's are bright for a flatwound, people say TIs are but tbh I don't hear it, Cobalt's I can't recommend as they are a flat that is made with the purpose of sounding like a roundwound, don't see the point.

• Thanks 1

I’ve had TIs, Chromes and Cobalts, and my findings were that the TIs were easier to eq than the others. I think the Cobalts were the brightest of the bunch but they still sounded like a flat wound no matter how eq’d. Whereas the TIs seemed to take whatever was given better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2019 at 20:46, markdavid said:

To be fair pretty much any flatwound will be brighter than picato which are about the darkest flat out there, Chrome's are bright for a flatwound, people say TIs are but tbh I don't hear it, Cobalt's I can't recommend as they are a flat that is made with the purpose of sounding like a roundwound, don't see the point.

I find Fender (mad by d ' addario) very muddy sounding esp compared to Picato. The must be made to Fender pecs as I found the .same with Fender made flats.  They also manage to put the change in diameter from the wrap to full diameter n the E just at the machine head of my Fender bass, so are a bugger to tune.

5 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I find Fender (mad by d ' addario) very muddy sounding esp compared to Picato. The must be made to Fender pecs as I found the .same with Fender made flats.  They also manage to put the change in diameter from the wrap to full diameter n the E just at the machine head of my Fender bass, so are a bugger to tune.

I've never found D'Addario or Fender flats muddy, I've always gotten articulation across the board with them. Labella and old school flats yes, but not hybrid flats. Does you tone knob work?

Cobalt's I can't recommend as they are a flat that is made with the purpose of sounding like a roundwound, don't see the point.

Not my experience with them at all. I definitely recommend Cobalts. I asked the same question here a little while ago and that led me to the Cobalts which I use on a stock US P. They don't sound at all like rounds (I have D'Addario rounds on the Jazz and had them on the P before the EBs). I'd describe them, as bright flats with all the bottom and lower middle that flats are famous for, but with a really useful crunch in the lower treble, which can be dialled in and out on the bass in a flash. Love 'em.

This old thread may be handy

• Like 2

I have tried nearly every Flatwound string going, and if you are looking for the brightest then that would be EB Cobalts. Before they came on the market the brightest were Chromes, and as for TI's well they don't come close to Cobalts for brightness but have more midrange qualities.......So go for EB Cobalts.

• Like 3

On 10/08/2019 at 19:47, machinehead said:

Frank.

I didn't save any cash Frank!  I tried what you suggested and it wasn't bright enough.   Unfortunately I saved even less cash when I bought a EUB, so I will have to go and confess that in the GAS Challenge thread . . .

31 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I've been on and off with Chromes and D'dd flats, but don't care for the feel. Back to D'add rounds and just wind back the toppiness on the bass.

The coating on D'Addario chrome's wears off in a few weeks, once this happens they sound awesome. But the coating does make the strings sound poop to begin with.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hooky_lowdown said:

The coating on D'Addario chrome's wears off in a few weeks, once this happens they sound awesome. But the coating does make the strings sound poop to begin with.

most of mine have been on 6-12 months 

I don't remember posting any of that! Right now I'm not sure that any of my basses have flats on, all I have played for the last 12 months are my 6 strings, both with rounds on. I haven't opened the cases of my fours for a year or more. 

I was in a strange state last night, serious lack of sleep over the weekend, so I think I posted nonsense, though I probably thought it was relevant at the time!

I think I stopped using Chromes a while back because of the sticky feel of them, and changed to LaBella flats. But for my current band, the sound of the rounds is more appropriate, and I prefer the feel of them as well.

Edited by FinnDave

I have Cobalts on all my basses, bar one (a Rob Allen with the intended LaBella tapewounds) and I really like them. They feel great and sound like worn in nickel roundwounds to my ears. I initially put them on my fretless to reduce board wear, but still keep a really nice roundwound mwah and ended up fitting them to my fretted basses too. Downside, they’re not cheap.

• Thanks 1

On 10/08/2019 at 16:38, TorturedSaints said:

Looking for advice . . .

thanks

R

Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats are the brightest ones I've tried that don't suck all the mids out. You can use the passive tone control to get the traditional thumpy flats sound, or go for a brighter sound that is much like rounds that have 'lived a little'. From your description, those are the ones I'd go for. Versatile string and good tension (meaning not low or too high)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobalts CAN sound like roundwounds that have lost some of their brightness, but they're very much a flatwound string and sound like one if you want it to. That's the strength of that string: it gives you a flats sound, and a bit extra should you want it. You can easily remove that extra brightness but you can't add it if it's not there. I found some other bright flats have the brightness but can be lacking a bit on the mids, sounding scooped. The cobalts seem to have everything I want there, so it's for me to remove anything I may not want in any given situation. 

Disclaimer: not associated with EB, I just liked those cobalt flats :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

Cobalts CAN sound like roundwounds that have lost some of their brightness, but they're very much a flatwound string and sound like one if you want it to. That's the strength of that string: it gives you a flats sound, and a bit extra should you want it. You can easily remove that extra brightness but you can't add it if it's not there. I found some other bright flats have the brightness but can be lacking a bit on the mids, sounding scooped. The cobalts seem to have everything I want there, so it's for me to remove anything I may not want in any given situation. 

Disclaimer: not associated with EB, I just liked those cobalt flats :)

Out of interest, which flats lacked mids?