Why become a member? ×

Pickups for a Steinberger Spirit 5-string?

prowla

I bought a barebones Steinberger Spiriti 5-string a while back.

EiM829P.jpg

I intended to make a Rickenberger out of it, by using some Rickenbacker bits from my parts box.

yQP0CIf.jpg

Unfortunately, the pickups aren't wide enough for the 5 strings, so I'm having to shelve that idea and think about putting some other pickups in instead.

I do have Status and Warwick ones, but they are bigger than the existing holes and my woodworking skills are not great, plus I don't have a router (or indeed a workshop!).

Can anybody advise whether there are any drop-in replacement pickups which might fit the bass without requiring surgery?

(I've also not given up on the Rickenberger, but I'll be needing a 4-string to base it on.)

26 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I put some EMG pickups into a Hohner B2V that were a drop in fit - I imagine they are a similar/same size?  I can rummage through my emails and try to find which model.

Thanks - were they passives?

5 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Hah, not EMG at all but were Aguilar DCB G3 soapbars which have a bar magnet so work nicely with a 5.  I replaced the EMGs with these.  Sounded nice, too - an improvement. 

Ta - they're a bit pricey (being Aguilar, of course!).

• 3 months later...

Well, I managed to acquire one pickup for the Spirit 5 and I've just wired it in today. It's not bad, but I'm still keeping an eye out for another, or replacements.

I also shifted my Rickenberger plans to a 4-string, which is coming along. Sadly, the outgoing 4-string pickups don't fit the 5-er.

7 hours ago, metallum said:

Not a problem..Aguilar DCB G3 but it needs drilling?

Well, there are approaches you can choose from when upgrading.

I tend to try and put a budget on upgrading cheapies and certainly going past the value of the instrument probably busts that; otherwise it might just be a better option to get a better one in the first place.

Since Spirits are sub-£200 instruments (s/h), I would most likely baulk at a pair of £80 pickups.

(Of course, that's my approach - no reason why yours has to be the same!)

Yes...it does..:/ But I can choose Aquilar G4 or Bartolini same size pickups.

When drilled it covers all the holes after recent pups.. So for 5 string Spirits its the best option..

Thank You for help..:)

My oldschool spirit is really well made. So I can invest a little..:) It's the most comfortably exercise bass I had..:) while watching TV..:)

• 10 months later...
On 24/11/2019 at 00:29, metallum said:

Yep!..It's totally not standard size..:( Just finished restoration work..Love this bass..VERY comfy playing..It has Aquilar preamp.. Bougt it as a travel buddy..:) It was in terrible shape

IMG_6471.jpeg

Hallo Mister. My friend, bassman fromour band, already bought the same guitar as on picture. But we do not know its history. Seller said its made in USA. What year of production? It must be short time we suppose.... Its sounds nice, but its "by Steinberger" - so where was produced and by which company a bass You put a picture? Thanx for response. BR from Poland

Edited by basofka

An update - I spent ages looking for a 2nd original pickup, but in the end a pair of EMG 40Hz 5-string pickups came up and now they're fitted to the Spirit 5; I did have to do a bit of surgery with my Dremel and now need a couple of surrounds to cover the gap either side of the pickup bay, where the EMGs are just slightly narrower.

The bass sounds really good now - surprisingly good, I'd say!