Why become a member? ×

Push pull volume control wiring help please.

Cuzzie

Second question of the day......sorry folks.

Another build is a passive 2 pick up jazz bass and I would like to have 1 knob to control it all - no tone - just volume.

I have this pot from Noll Electronics, it’s 250kb and here is what they say about it.

This potentiometer is for volume use. Its on-on double pole push-pull section can control pickup switching or active-passive switching for electronic circuits.

90A71820-42DB-4269-8BAE-FFED228B56B1.thumb.jpeg.74431ae21d035a6d156c04ffccd4ee8c.jpeg815CAAAB-7FD9-43BE-B077-130DB319BC37.thumb.jpeg.2dc54b17d8d455e41786ae355d4f727a.jpeg02D7E708-92B3-4C18-B2EB-3AD25C3CD5A9.thumb.jpeg.2137db8e1d5a9335bc281f63fe12ec57.jpeg

Now, what I would like would be neck on its own on, and switch to both on together with a push/pull.

If not achievable I would consider neck on its own and bridge on its own.

More than that I guess I would be looking at a pick up selector switch.

the bass has no holes drilled for pots yet, I am just looking at being as minimal as possible.

All help gratefully received!

Well, my gut reaction would be, why have just two pickup positions when three is more versatile.

I have a Cabronita Telecaster one volume and a three way Les Paul type selector switch. Nice simple and uncluttered.

You could probably opt for a mini three way switch if you wanted it to be more inconspicuous.

9 minutes ago, John Cribbin said:

Well, my gut reaction would be, why have just two pickup positions when three is more versatile.

I have a Cabronita Telecaster one volume and a three way Les Paul type selector switch. Nice simple and uncluttered.

You could probably opt for a mini three way switch if you wanted it to be more inconspicuous.

Completely not unreasonable that - and I may go that way - don’t really see myself using bridge on its own was the main reason I think

2 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Just wondering if a single stacked knob may be a solution (top for neck / bottom for bridge)? 

It may come to that, but I bought in a stacked knob for another bass (another thread posted at the same time!) and this one for I cannot remember why, but trying to work out if I can use it.

i suppose I could probably wire it as a kill switch I think so it’s either both on or all off?

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

It may come to that, but I bought in a stacked knob for another bass (another thread posted at the same time!) and this one for I cannot remember why, but trying to work out if I can use it.

i suppose I could probably wire it as a kill switch I think so it’s either both on or all off?

Beyond my tech know how sorry mate, luckily there is now an expert present! 😁

11 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

@Cuzzie " Now, what I would like would be neck on its own on, and switch to both on together with a push/pull. "

Yes you can do that, but with both pick ups on you'll have no balance/blend between them = less than ideal!

Yep all true - a lot of this is thinking aloud, but it’s starting to look like I should get a switch or a second knob

Connect the neck and bridge so, that the switch can override/bypass the bridge pickup. Then connect the live wire (signal) to the pot.

You can connect the signal to the center of the pot and ground to the other end and output (jack) to the other.

Bypass dpdt switch schema can be easily found from the net. Use picture search.

Edited by itu

• 2 weeks later...

So to close the loop, big thanks to @itu for patiently helping me to get the diagram right, I wired it series parallel in the end, here is the schematic for the interested....

C0806EC2-FDF3-4E58-9817-C76DFB8AC83F.thumb.jpeg.1d8486a40e5248bd2a5788a1f159af6d.jpeg

And a massive 👏🏿 To @mybass for sculpting a cracking piece of wood into a gorgeous bass, I feel privileged to have popped together.401E0CCC-AD0B-46FA-8308-1AD8327DBE5E.thumb.jpeg.21e13a83bd04727f838d36806d6572c7.jpeg

Awesome Gotoh resolite GB 350 tuners, Atelier Z pick ups, TI flats.

Sounds very very nice

• Like 4