Why become a member? ×

Light ("Weich") strings

NickA

Realising that I have only Jazz to play until September; I decided to take the D'Addario Helicore Hybrid strings off my DB and put on my old set of Thomastic Spiros.  The Spiros have been sitting in a box for 20 odd years (!!) and when I dug them out I found that the D string has a knot in the peg end (must have snapped some time) and the E has gone AWOL.

So, off to my local bass shoppe on Monday to buy at least a new E .. probably a D too ... oh sod it, probably a whole new set (£166!)

Has anyone tried both Siprocore Medium and Spiroco Light (weich)?  What is the difference in sound? 

I think my spiros date from when spiros were spiros and the three different tensions weren't an issue.  I quite like the idea of a lighter string that's easier to hold down - but don't want to sacrifice tone.

NB: the bass is a fairly hefty 43.5" scale German affair - solid and loud with a big fat tone when bowed, and pizz sustain that goes on and on and on and ..........

Spiro medium is what I have played for the last few years. My action is fairly high compared to modern standards and yet I find them easy to play and they give me all the tone I wanted. I played light gauge years ago and frankly I liked them too, just not as beefy on my bass. On your big German bass the mediums should sound immense. And with you having played for years, I don’t think tension should be a bother at all. All the very best.

I had a mixed set of 4/4 Spiro Mittels (I bought the G new a year ago, rest were s/h of indeterminate age from TalkBass) up for sale on the forum for a cheap £55 posted. Withdrew them this morning (for use as gigbag backups) but would still sell them on if you wanted? 

Edited by Clarky

Those perpetuals have a good write up:

"Extremely energetic with very little effort and a juicy right hand feel when played pizzicato, yet strong and complex with good stability under the bow." 

Maybe true at the price (though still less than Eudoxas!)

Anyway, that's an offer too good to refuse.  PMd you.

Why do the Ds always give out first?  Just cause it's the longest string and there's more to fail?

• Thanks 1

2nd / 3rd hand strings received from @Clarky today.  Thanks mate. 

The bass indeed sounds huge (it IS quite large) - but it's the extra attack, sustain and articulation that are so nice to have back!   The Helicores (though bowable) are dull and thuddy by comparison.

Thomastik Spirocore - there is no substitute.   Others may be more subtle, but these babies swing! 

Dont try slapping though, they'll have your thumb off.

• Like 1

I can’t remember how long I’ve been using Med Spiros on my double bass. They seem perfectly playable, with good attack, tone and sustain. Funny thing is, when I play my Kolstein EUB with softer Kolstein Heritage strings I find I have to play them a lot harder to get close to my usual DB sound.And then that’s when I get blisters!

So the paradox is that mediums are kinder on my fingers that softs. Med Spiros keep in tune and last forever.