Why become a member? ×

Bass ‘boards’

Quilly

I'm sitting on mine right now!!

To be honest I think it's one of my best buys - it enables you to 'feel' the bass as if you're sitting in front of a massive speaker stack. I use mine as part of my studio/office setup for playing bass and listening to music. It helps with timing, feel, and it's nearly silent. I haven't used it 'live' yet but will be in a few weeks. 

I use a Porter & Davies Bass board on IEM gigs. We have no back line, everyone is DI'd (except drums & brass etc). The bass board is great as it gives me weight back into my sound thats missing from IEM's alone. It does sound like a gimmick, until you try it. 

LRM_EXPORT_80699184639248_20190812_121219137.jpeg

Edited by Lee-Man
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

They are great. They put the feeling of big (even stadium sized) bass back into the room on a silent/large stage. Expensive, fairly big and heavy to carry around and can be quite complex to fit into the rig.

Both P&D and Eich are compromised on their amp front though. Maybe myself and @intime-nick will have something to offer up in due course.

54 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

They are great. They put the feeling of big (even stadium sized) bass back into the room on a silent/large stage. Expensive, fairly big and heavy to carry around and can be quite complex to fit into the rig.

Both P&D and Eich are compromised on their amp front though. Maybe myself and @intime-nick will have something to offer up in due course.

Come on where is it?!?! 

What if you strut about the stage, Simon Gallup stylee? Need a whole stage worth of bass board flooring - may as well play on a thin hollow stage.

I remember playing a club in Spain where they'd boarded over an empty swimming pool to make the stage. The whole stage was bouncing up and down all gig.

16 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

I have a 2x400w 1u power amp I might try with mine, however I think driving it with a dedicated bass amp has the advantage of using a compressor before the board and also being able to EQ the response. I find treble does produce a sound from the board itself but not any extra ‘shake’ that I can feel - however soaking up the bass and low mids with the high and treble off produces a nice even rumble across the whole range plus its audibly quieter which is good for home use. 

I’m surprised these aren’t more commonplace given the trend towards IEMs. I remember at the LBGS last year people were fascinated by the one on the Eich stand. 

1 minute ago, Twigman said:

What if you strut about the stage, Simon Gallup stylee? Need a whole stage worth of bass board flooring - may as well play on a thin hollow stage.

I remember playing a club in Spain where they'd boarded over an empty swimming pool to make the stage. The whole stage was bouncing up and down all gig.

I can’t remember who it was but when I was researching I saw a touring setup of six ‘Large’ bass boards on stage. I think it was Tony Levin or someone like that. Probably quite good if you’ve got decent roadies. 

1 hour ago, ped said:

I have a 2x400w 1u power amp I might try with mine, however I think driving it with a dedicated bass amp has the advantage of using a compressor before the board and also being able to EQ the response. I find treble does produce a sound from the board itself but not any extra ‘shake’ that I can feel - however soaking up the bass and low mids with the high and treble off produces a nice even rumble across the whole range plus its audibly quieter which is good for home use. 

I’m surprised these aren’t more commonplace given the trend towards IEMs. I remember at the LBGS last year people were fascinated by the one on the Eich stand. 

You are kind of there in the first paragraph... but there's something else missing...

The problem being is - IEM is all about portability of not carrying around a rig or monitors. If you then carry around something the size and weight of a bass board, you are keeping the stage quiet... but not minimising the gear that you are carrying. And bass boards... and associated amps... are heavy and not particularly portable.

And again, when a setup comes in closer to a grand... 

Edited by EBS_freak

5 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

You are kind of there in the first paragraph... but there's something else missing...

The problem being is - IEM is all about portability of not carrying around a rig or monitors. If you then carry around something the size and weight of a bass board, you are keeping the stage quiet... but not minimising the gear that you are carrying. And bass boards... and associated amps... are heavy and not particularly portable.

And again, when a setup comes in closer to a grand... 

Yeah I guess so - I never move mine about but they have a nice big handle underneath so carrying it isn't too bad.

However everything else being equal, I still think I'd prefer an IEM and board setup than a big bass amp behind me at a gig. You can hear/feel yourself so much better (aware that sounds filthy)

Given the shape of the boards I don't think it would be too difficult for someone like Eich to make one with a power amp built in. Maybe they will.. they actually have a headphone out on the bottom so you could get by with that and a power chord if you wanted to (several times I've had only my bass in ear and balanced the level with the noise from he rest of the band)

3 minutes ago, ped said:

Given the shape of the boards I don't think it would be too difficult for someone like Eich to make one with a power amp built in. Maybe they will.. they actually have a headphone out on the bottom so you could get by with that and a power chord if you wanted to (several times I've had only my bass in ear and balanced the level with the noise from he rest of the band)

Possibly - but mounting a power amp brings with it other issues. But that a side, there is something about the Eich design which fundamentally lets it down... but that's all I'm going to say on that front ;)