Why become a member? ×

Spector Rudy Sarzo...oooh.

NancyJohnson

16 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

This from Sweetwater (yes, I’m sad enough to have e-mailed them about it)....

“Thanks for reaching out. The one he's playing on the video was the first model created, I believe they have since adjusted the bass to what we see on the site.“

“Reaching out” - What’s wrong with “contacting us”? Grrr 😡

So, the signature model is different to the artists bass... Pretty sure that's not unusual, is it? 

19 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

This from Sweetwater (yes, I’m sad enough to have e-mailed them about it)....

“Thanks for reaching out. The one he's playing on the video was the first model created, I believe they have since adjusted the bass to what we see on the site.“

“Reaching out” - What’s wrong with “contacting us”? Grrr 😡

I think I'd like to see what I'm buying rather than photos.  Andertons will have them soon enough.  Possibly.

25 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

So, the signature model is different to the artists bass... Pretty sure that's not unusual, is it? 

Very unusual. Most musicians play their signature model with the same specs as the catalogue model. Sometimes you'll get an import model with some cheaper parts but generally they're identical.

For example, Billy Sheehan's Attitude bass, built in the custom shop at Yamaha Japan. The real deal Attitude you can buy yourself, also made in Japan at the Yamaha custom shop, with all the same stuff Billy has on his bass. If you buy the cheaper version, you don't get the woofer pickup, the signature Dimarzio, the scalloped fretboard, the detuner, the countersunk bridge, the dual outputs, the deep neck pocket and bolting system etc. So basically nothing like Billy's bass, but they were about 20% of the price. 

Of course, some companies are less scrupulous than others. ESP have offered loads of Kirk Hammett signature guitars, many of which he has never even held. They're just cheaper copies of his custom shop guitars with changes made to keep the price down so they can sell them to kids who want to look like the artist rather than selling the instrument as a tool which happens to have a useful set of characteristics as requested by the artist who helped come up with the instrument. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Probably, but I guess Bass Direct should be getting some too. It will be interesting to see what the UK price point is given that they are made in the Czech Republic. You would think they would be cheaper than the Sweetwater price.

You'd think, eh?  This is the UK mindset. Businesses know that prospective buyers are prepared to shell out more once the carrot has been dangled.  If it's more than £1,800 they can kiss my dimpled arssssse and I'll put the swag towards a holiday.

Edited by NancyJohnson
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Meddle said:

Which makes it doubly baffling. Sarzo hasn't been on the radar for decades, unless you think that n'th generation Blue Oyster Cult are still somehow in the public gaze.

He's probably got one of the strongest multi band rock CV's in the genre that Spector have been most recognised in. He's still got years of playing in him and he'll be in plenty of videos playing it - thats worth the cost of slinging him a few basses to play.

And i agree, if they've shifted the neck and bridge further inboard its going to have a massive stretch out to the headstock. I always wanted a Spector and when i got one i was gutted that i couldn't adjust to the reach...

SIMs pickups and a Tonestyler - for the man who can’t make up his mind what bass he wants 🙂

Interesting that such a versatile sounding bass should come from a guy who’s carved a career playing MOR 80’s hard rock.

Edited by Drax

14 hours ago, NancyJohnson said:

You'd think, eh?  This is the UK mindset. Businesses know that prospective buyers are prepared to shell out more once the carrot has been dangled.  If it's more than £1,800 they can kiss my dimpled arssssse and I'll put the swag towards a holiday.

You'll be looking at low £2k's for this. Off on holiday you go.....

Sarzo has moved to Spector because for a while he was playing with Geoff Tate (ex-Queensryche) and the ONLY way he could get the right tone (the Eddie Jackson 'grind') was to get a Spector. He bought & played one exclusively for a couple of years...LOVED it... and then discovered SIMS pickups. Spector & SIMS then hooked up to produce this 'signature' bass.

• Like 4

Another demo of the Sarzo. Not a great review for hearing differences in sound between the pickups..... but he seems to love it. Funnily enough, I thought the best one was the PJ.... which a standard Spector has anyway... lol!

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

Rudy has an extremely long resume and a reputation for being one of the nicest guys in rock. He may not be a top player but his credentials for getting the job done in the settings he plays are up there. 

For his new Spector bass though, I remain unconvinced. To me, it just doesn't look right with the bridge staying where it was. Re-carving the NS shape to give more access to the upper frets seems like the ideal solution but I can imagine it would be a costly process over the usual shaping methods used at the Czech facility. Moving the bridge spoils the visual balance of the bass and I bet will make 1st position feel like a real reach. I'm not usually one to complain about 'bridge over torso' basses where 1st position is offset, but this will surely be quite a reach.

Euro and above Spector basses uniformly sound great (though I'm less keen on the Aguilar equipped basses, perhaps). However, Rudy's bass didn't sound all that great. I don't know if it was just the tone in the video, or the annoying static hum that got worse at certain points. It was quite noticeable when he flipped the bass over to look at the back. 

Edited by Chris2112

3 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I wish Eddie jackson would figure this out as well!

He still records with them.... he's just worried about using them 'live' since he had his 2 faves stolen on the road back n the day.... :(

On 12/08/2019 at 10:21, Mastodon2 said:

I do feel that the upper fret access on Spectors is terrible

+1. I spend a lot of time up the top end and so far as I’m concerned they may as well not have the extra frets.

Compared to the Seis I had at the time the ones I used were just so unplayable, relatively speaking. Access was way worse and the necks were three times the size. They didn’t sound as good either, IMO.

Edited by 4000