Why become a member? ×

Rumble 500 combo?

TRBboy

Hey everybody! 

So, I currently have an AWESOME rig consisting of an Aguilar AG700 and a Vanderkley 2x12, but for some reason right now I really want a Rumble 500 combo (probably with an ext. Cab)....

..... Am I nuts?! 

The attraction is that the combo would be smaller and more portable for practice and small pubs, there's a built in drive channel, they look freaking cool, and I could free up a bit of cash that's tied up in my current rig. 

There's a bloke not far away selling one of the combos, but can't decide what I should do.... 

Any experiences /thoughts /opinions welcome. 

3 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Hey everybody! 

So, I currently have an AWESOME rig consisting of an Aguilar AG700 and a Vanderkley 2x12, but for some reason right now I really want a Rumble 500 combo (probably with an ext. Cab)....

..... Am I nuts?! 

The attraction is that the combo would be smaller and more portable for practice and small pubs, there's a built in drive channel, they look freaking cool, and I could free up a bit of cash that's tied up in my current rig. 

There's a bloke not far away selling one of the combos, but can't decide what I should do.... 

I had a Rumble for a while, moved it on because the build quality was a bit iffy, and although it's light, it's still deep and with just the handle on the top it's not that easy to carry around, wasn't impressed by the drive section either. But there's obviously a lot of love out there for them, they are light and loud.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Muppet said:

When I need an amp that's quick to set up, easy to transport and I can be sure of the sound i want I grab my Rumble.  It just works.  If it's cheap enough it's worth it even as a back up if nothing else.  

Yeah I was thinking that, even if I leave it at our rehearsal space it saves me taking my rig out there every week. Do you find it's man enough on its own, without an extension cab? 

4 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Hey everybody! 

..... Am I nuts?! 

You have a rig that sounds so good you have to put "awesome" in capitals!! And you want to change it for a combo and you didn't say what that sounds like. Half a dozen reasons and the sound wasn't one of them!

IMO this is not a good move unless you hear this combo and decide if you can live with what might be a less than "awesome" tone.

Edited by chris_b
  • Like 2

The Rumble 500 is an excellent combo. A friend owns one and it's definitely more than loud enough, on it's own, to cope with a heavy hitting drummer.

Sounds good too.

I bought a Rumble 100 for the smaller quieter gigs I play and it's great as well.

Both combos are absurdly light.

I own a GK MB800 and an Ashdown ABM 500, paired with Barefaced cabs. Which I use at bigger gigs. And frankly, sometimes I think about getting rid of them and buying a Rumble 500, just for simplicity's sake.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Yeah I was thinking that, even if I leave it at our rehearsal space it saves me taking my rig out there every week. Do you find it's man enough on its own, without an extension cab? 

Yes it can easily manage without the cab.

11 minutes ago, gjones said:

I own a GK MB800 and an Ashdown ABM 500, paired with Barefaced cabs. Which I use at bigger gigs. And frankly, sometimes I think about getting rid of them and buying a Rumble 500, just for simplicity's sake.

I've a ABM 600 and a Barefaced Supertwin too and sometimes  I take the Rumble 500 instead ;) 

• Like 1

this typical GAS, we all do it, an idea worms it's way into your brain and you've got to get one and try it out, then you usually (but not always) find it's not for you after all, but hey, if it's second hand you won't lose much money on it when you move it on

• Like 1

I've owned one and it's a lovely combo, I really regret selling it.

They are very competent combos, however, I sold mine and switched to an Aguilar TH350 + Schroeder 1212L. The Rumble couldn't keep pace with the volume of the band I was in, the Aggi and Schroeder did comfortably.

I wouldn't switch the Aggie and Van for a Rumble, especially if your current set sounds really good.

• Like 1

I ran the 500 combo alongside a 1x15 cab for a while. Sounded really good, bags of room. 

Changed the car, so couldn't fit it in, so moved it on. Only reason.....it was a great combo, very useful on its own. 

I think the Rumbles are great (terrible name, though!). I've previously run a 1x15 as well, which I often gigged on its own, it was great. My practice amp is a Rumble 40, had it for a few years now. 

I don't own any others now, as I went back to separates (Markbass and Markbass...now Barefaced - thanks Rhys re the BF!).....but I'd recommend the Fenders greatly.....and I'm plugging in a Ricky as well. When I did stick a P in, it went to a different dimension! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Storky said:

I have to admit I’m in the same mindset as the OP. I’ve got 2 Vanderkley  1 x 12 and a Mesa head. And I’m thinking of a Rumble or Ashdown, or Mark Bass!

GAS is a terrible thing. 😏

Although I would still love one, I've come to my senses now and realised it couldn't replace my current rig. So, I'm back on looking at basses now! 🤣

7 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

Although I would still love one, I've come to my senses now and realised it couldn't replace my current rig. So, I'm back on looking at basses now! 🤣

And so it goes on. I appear to have accidentally brought a fretless SpectorCore! (Arrives tomorrow hopefully!)

I don't own one but I have used one on many occasions and found it great. They sound pretty good, though I don't imagine any better than your current set up.

Light as a feather, mind, although I can't think that your current rig is exactly a back-breaker. Are you sure that you're  not just a little unhappy with your playing? That's what GAS it usually means for me! Up your practice regimen: much cheaper...

Good luck with whatever you decide

Shug

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Storky said:

And so it goes on. I appear to have accidentally brought a fretless SpectorCore! (Arrives tomorrow hopefully!)

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Indeed! I only received a new bass last Saturday and already eyeing up the next thing! 

• Like 1

I had one for a while.  it was light - but not quite light enough.  It was loud - but not quite loud enough.  And I wasn't struck on the mid-focused tone much, either.  But I realise that last bit was me :)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

What did you get mate, another Sandberg? 

No.... In a completely out of character move, I made a snap decision to buy a Fender Player Jaguar! Gigged it for the first time Saturday night, and I was blown away by how fun it was to play and also how well it fitted with my band! (rock covers). 

The first 4 string and first passive bass I've had for nearly 10 years.... And it's got a lot of what I've been looking for. Seems to be a more organic, 'full' time from a passive instrument. Don't get me wrong, I still love my two Sandbergs, fantastic instruments.... In fact I've been in touch to ask if they could do a passive PJ, with kind of traditional style pickups! 🤣

Also been eyeing up the American Performer Precision though.... 😍

received_655470654932154.jpeg

22 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

That's very cool! Can't believe you've gone 4 string and Fender!! 👍🏻

Nor me! Loving it so far though, they've really created a great bass at this price point, sounds and feels lovely!