Why become a member? ×

NAD - New Ampeg Day

rubis

IMG_0497.thumb.JPG.569eb1b28d18ab170ffb4033b4e2a2ab.JPG

Treated myself to a new amp, my first valve bass amp, and very pleased I am too. 

I noticed it while on holiday, on Gear4music's website and they had 7 in stock at £375!  

I have wanted one of these for a while and missed out (last time we were on holiday!) when Kenny's Music were discounting them heavily, so I thought 'what the hell' 

It will be for home practice and recording, and will hopefully match up nicely with my home built P bass 

I have another project in mind...…..I am going to have a go at making a B15 style cab to match it, the early double baffle one, like this one which is a modern reproduction made by a company in the USA called FlipTops 

898822058_B15E20COMPOSITE.jpg.7921136008135436f3ee97a754af45c4.jpg

It's actually marketed as an extension cab, and as such doesn't have the flip top lid, which I wasn't interested in anyway, so it will be a removable back with the fabled double baffle design at the front. 

I have had a quick doodle with it plugged straight into an Audient interface and it sounded great, it should be lush with the 2 Notes Ampeg cab sim added. 

Very pleased, I have been missing out on the valve sound for years! 

• Like 6

Should be a nice little amp for recording purposes and lower volume stuff!

Regarding the cab, as far as I gather the double baffle cabs function like a more conventional ported cab with the same tuning would (though I've never seen a clear answer on what the port tuning was).  So there could well be a simpler route to the same result. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RedVee said:

I use a PF-20T for home recording and it gives me great results using the transformer out directly in my audio interface. The PF-20T is likened to the Ampeg B-15 and the PF-50T is likened to the Ampeg SVT- VR.

Hi RedVee

this is more or less the sound I'm aiming for, hopefully with the right kind of cab and/or cab sim I can get close

Looking forward to hours of aimless fiddling ! 

Edited by rubis

11 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Should be a nice little amp for recording purposes and lower volume stuff!

Regarding the cab, as far as I gather the double baffle cabs function like a more conventional ported cab with the same tuning would (though I've never seen a clear answer on what the port tuning was).  So there could well be a simpler route to the same result. 

Thanks Beer of the Bass 

Whilst I was on holiday I had time enough on my hands to look for info into the fabled double baffle cabs, and you are tight, there is a surprising lack of clear information on the dimensions, I couldn't really find any complete plans, for example, as you can for other cabs, but I did find a drawing for the front baffle with the port slots in, and enough other dimensions and information to have a crack at it. 

I have a sheet of 3/4" plywood, which has been lying around for years, so there's not going to be much cost involved. 

baffle.pdfbaffle.pdf

848742883_AmpegPortaflexDoubleBaffleCabinet.jpg.3abeecb3f87379637f577412d2d1d0f6.jpg

Thank you very kindly gents, thanks to the kind people and reactions on this very site, especially Chimike……………...

On ‎11‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:06, Chimike said:

There is, or was, a very detailed drawing of the Ampeg Heritage B15 cab, put up by the guy who built the repro cabs. Try google . If no luck, PM me, and I'll hunt out my copy.

mike.

.................I have the necessary information to make a start on the cab build, so keep an eye out for a thread in the build section, where I will be very pleased for any advice and guidance from those in the know.