Why become a member? ×

Thoughts on three fingers plucking?

wishface

Like the mighty Billy Sheehan (and a few others)?

I've sort of committed myself to it.. I started months back so giving up now seems counter productive, but I do wonder if, not having done this for decades like Billy, if my finger is ever going to work up to the necessary strength. I don't even know if it can? The first two fingers have that natural independence and flexibility that allow for control and precision. Raking, and string crossing are difficult (of course). Are there any tips people can give? Is three finger meant to be used like this? I assume so because Billy, iirc, uses it for everything. Other three finger players I'm not familiar enough with to comment.

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes use 3 fingers, but i started off life as a classical guitarist so it’s natural to me, I don’t have to think about it.

I don’t really have any tips, but there are no rules, whatever comes/feels natural to you, I guess? Sometimes using fingers one and three on the same sting allows for an instant string change using finger two.