Why become a member? ×

Aguilar, Ashdown or Genz Benz?

Linus27

Just picked up a wonderful Barefaced Two10 and now considering what head to run with it. The ones on my list so far are the Ashdown RM 500, Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and a Genz Benz Streamliner. Even considering an Ampeg Portaflex 500. I tend to play a Fender Jazz and my tone is clean, warm, round with a little bit of definition in the tone. I play 50's and 60's rock n roll so lots of walking bass lines. Any thoughts from those who have used or use any of these heads?

Edited by Linus27

I’ve had the RM500, the PF500 and the Tonehammer. For me the RM has much more warmth and depth to the sound, but also due to the - imo - better eq options it can sharpen up better. That said the Tonehammer is a very old-school sounding amp, and the PF500 delivers classic ampeg tones. My preference is the RM but I’d be happy with the TH or PF, only one I’ve no experience with is the Genz. I also found the Barefaced 210 to be quite relaxed on the top end so would make sure the amp I went for had high and high-mid adjustment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a happy user of the Ashdown RM500. I get a lot of compliments on my tone when I use it. The EQ is very powerful.

I had never used the "effects" that come with the amp. However, I have started setting just a little bit of comp and a little bit of Drive and the sound is even more impressive. It's the best Class D amp I have ever tried.

I must say though, that I am also a happy user of the Aguilar Tone Hammer pre amp. I use it when I don't take the amp with me. The EQ is also amazing and very flexible. When I used to use the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 I was also very happy. I prefer the Ashdown, but just my personal taste.

I have never used the Genz Benz, so I can't comment on this one. You won't get wrong with any of these options.

• Like 1

I’ve had the RM800 and now run a RM500, it’s a great amp - I’ve recently started using the sub setting on a new idea and listening back to the recording it sounds brilliant.

Did some recording recently and used the Ashdown combo even though I had Ampeg 810/SVT and Trace stacks at my disposal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chris_b said:

Did you change to the RM500 because of any differences in tone?

No, in all honesty I sold the rm800/210/115 rig as I thought I was packing in playing.

The RM500 combo was enough when I realised I wasn’t packing it in...miss having that cool ‘little’ rig though.

I’ve had three RM heads - the original 800, a 500 EVO II and now an 800 EVO.

The power section doesn’t make much difference at all but - and it’s probably placebo effect - I feel the 800 has more girth in it. Volume-wise there’s nothing really in it but of course the 800 will have more headroom. I just think I prefer that module over the 500 but I bet in a blindfold test I’d jot be able to tell them apart. Either which way the 500 is a bloody superb amp and would be my choice from your list. (Though there is a second hand 800 on eBay at the moment...)

• Like 2

I can't comment on the Genz but I ran a PF500 for about 6 years. loved it and still have it in my studio

I have been using the RM500 evoII since christmas and I love it. A little comp and a little drive. I've been wanting to switch to Ashdown for ages as I think they're a great company. I'm even thinking about an Ashdown cab to replace my mark bass cabs

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jb90 said:

Handbox all the way down. Not popular but absolutely the greatest. But if you really must choose from those three I would choose Aguilar D751.

Given that Aguilar model wasn’t on the list I doubt it’ll get a chosen ;) I’d love to try a Handbox R400 one day, everything written about them makes me think they’ll be right up my street.

• Like 2