Why become a member? ×

EHX Black Russian Big Muff issue: very noisy

javi_bassist

Hello guys!

I have recently buy an EHX Big Muff which I love. The sound I get out of it is exactly what I thought a Fuzz should sound. However, it has a very loud noise. I know all fuzzes tend to be noisy. However, my two other fuzzes (a Dr Green Bearded Lady and an Aguilar Fuzzistor) do a noise when not played, but as soon as I play, they are "quiet" (or maybe the noise it is very very low). But not the Big Muff. There are certain parts of one song that I play at a lower volumes and the noise is louder than what I play. Do you know if this is normal? Or what kind of problem it can have?

Edited by javi_bassist

Sounds like electrical interference. Are you using a daisy chain power supply, if so what else is connected? Try the Muff by itself - being the only pedal connected to the power supply as well as being the only thing in the signal chain. 

• Like 4

I know that the older EHX pedals were not "True Bypass" (as they are today), I certainly had a few issues with some of my EHX pedals "back in the day" with "artefacts" coming through when the pedals were switched off.

I had a Black Russian Muff, as well as the Black Small Stone, Black Small Clone (all of which suffered from not being "true bypass"), as well as a few other NYC EHX pedals which were the same. IIRC, they changed to True Bypass around 2005-ish, to compete with all of the new "boutique" pedal manufacturer's who were doing their own interpretations of EHX pedals, but with True Bypass switches added.

Speak to your local musical instrument electronics person at your local friendly music shop to see if they will fit and wire up True Bypass in your pedals.

Or it could just be a dodgy connection.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 1

On 09/08/2019 at 00:20, dannybuoy said:

Sounds like electrical interference. Are you using a daisy chain power supply, if so what else is connected? Try the Muff by itself - being the only pedal connected to the power supply as well as being the only thing in the signal chain. 

+1.

Or... Some Fuzzes tend to be picky with PSU's. Maybe you pedal doesn't get along with the one you're using. 

• Like 1