Why become a member? ×

Hi

dave moffat

Old git finally got the time to get stuck in to learning bass. Bought myself what to me is a gorgeous Ibanez electric bass guitar about 6yrs ago but didn't have time to get stuck in to learning it so it sat gathering dust until one of my granddaughter starting learning bass at school, so being a doting granddad I bought her one which she took to straight away. This kicked my backside to dust off mine and get serious, got a bit fed up hiding myself at the furthest corner of the house and plugging into an amp and the pre-amp eats D-cells so got myself a Taylor mini-bass to keep handy to practice and generally noodle. I'm also into Ukes so have just added an Excelsior elecro-acoustic U-bass to the collection. Current level of ability is probably intermediate+ so almost ready to be let loose at jams. Lots of questions and an open mind so please be gentle with this old relic.

Edited by dave moffat
senility
  • Like 1

If you consider yourself to be an intermediate+ player then you should definitely be out playing with other musicians. Thais definitely where most of the fun is. I still consider myself very much an amateur but I'm in a gigging band and we always seem to go down pretty well. 

Welcome to the forum. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dave moffat said:

You're right mostly a matter of confidence and opportunity, the 2 sessions locally are Scottish folk and 50s rock'n'roll neither of which do much for me. Other than that I'd probably have to drive for hours.

I still have big confidence issues, but I figure the only way to get over that is to keep doing it. 

The logistics of being in a remote location is probably the biggest problem. Rather than joining an existing band, are there any musicians locally that you can get together with and start something new? 

I live in an extremely rural area in the centre of Bulgaria. If I can get a band together, I'm sure you can. 😉

Thanks for the welcomes folks

Newfoundfreedom yeah I'm lucky that my fiancee is stinky poo hot on keyboards/piano and is learning/noodling around on guitar, uke and mandolin, because she's already got all the theory stuff nailed she's 'getting' it indecently fast. Thinking of sorting out some Christmas tunes soon.

AdChad1987 any link to The League of Ukulele Gentlemen?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dave moffat said:

'stinky poo' how bloody millennial-snowflake.......jeez!

Mr software doesn't want to upset people with real words like sh!t. About as daft an idea as I have ever heard. I can't even type sh!t properly because the forum software substitutes it with something  suitable for kindergartens.

• 2 weeks later...

RoverT, I've got an SDGR800 which gives me a big smile, it just sort of leapt out and wanted to come home with me, bit bling with gold coloured fittings but it's one of my 'for life'  buys.

Off into the local music shop to see about upgrading my bass amp, need LOUDER!! 👹 With maybe some more knobs and dials.