Why become a member? ×

Tone Styler Bass10 - Soundcloud link added!

krispn

So following a bit of chat about the TSB10 I thought I'd post a quick run through of the unit which is fitted in my p bass. The bass is a bitsa P bass with a Mike Lull T Bird pick up so it's not gonna sound like your 'classic P bass' however as I've said before a TS can really offer a heap of usable tones in any single pick up bass.

I've repeated a bass part and on each pass I've gone from the TS in the 'tone rolled off' position and gone through each 'click' until hitting position 10 which bypassed the TS and is effectively just the pick up's natural voicing.

The bass has some eq and comp on it from my DAW which isn't really that important as the voicing of each setting still comes across. This is the kinda setting I like to use whan playing along and learning stuff at home via headphones

Apologies for the slight clipping as I wasn’t aware I might have been pushing too much signal so not the greatest recording ever! 

Tone off - 0 - 0:26

Pos.1 0:28 - 0:54

Pos.2 0:57 - 1:23

Pos.3 1:25 - 1:53

Pos.4 1:54 - 2:21

Pos.5 2:22 - 2:50

Pos.6 2:51 - 3:18

Pos.7 3:20 - 3:47

Pos.8 3:47 - 4:14

Pos.9 4:15 Effectively 'bypassed'

FBD6BCE0-C0C8-4567-8DC2-D048A677FCE7.jpeg

Edited by krispn
Tidied up and link added
  • Like 6

Beauty of a bass and great clips - love me a Tonestyler- Bravo sir

As we were discussing before, I number it 1 through 10 from wide open to closed, and you go t’other way round - but we end up bout the same clicks from our starting position, although not the same tone!

Edited by Cuzzie

Cheers! Yeah I wasn’t consciously thinking about it until I did the recording and then recalled that folks might well start with wide open as the 1st position. 

Either way it’s pretty easy to figure out and should give an impression of why there’s a few folk singing the praises of these wee units.

If I may... Cuzzie has one of these in a traditional P bass and sets his more to the wide open side whereas I find in about position 3 or 4 (as I hope you can hear above) with the T bird pick up it adds more of that lower mids thing which isn’t a P bass but does add in that quality/character so I have best of both worlds. 

Edited by krispn
  • Like 1

Oh defo - the Ten is cool, they even have an eleven, but as we know we rarely use every available sound available on equipment.

For a Jazz type/2 pick up bass - the 6 will be just right for most people’s tastes.

Not just that though, it differentiates the capacitance between the neck and bridge pick ups within the circuit to make it more pleasing - genius kit

Edited by Cuzzie

@fretmeister

especially if you have more than one P bass and want to offer yourself a little something different then these are a great shout. With my PBird I find on a gig I'm using maybe three settings over the night. This PBird really benefits from the ability to tweak the voicing just enough to have better tonal options than a classic taper tone control IMO. Obviously it's not a P pick up but the TS does offer me a few more options and it's worked out exactly as I had envisioned it would. It's the simplicity of recall too or knowing where your tone control is set.

Edited by krispn

On 08/08/2019 at 20:53, krispn said:

@fretmeister

especially if you have more than one P bass and want to offer yourself a little something different then these are a great shout. With my PBird I find on a gig I'm using maybe three settings over the night. This PBird really benefits from the ability to tweak the voicing just enough to have better tonal options than a classic taper tone control IMO. Obviously it's not a P pick up but the TS does offer me a few more options and it's worked out exactly as I had envisioned it would. It's the simplicity of recall too or knowing where your tone control is set.

I've only got 1 P.

But at the moment it's got the risible Greasebucket circuit in it. I'd be happy just to rip that out and replace it with spaghetti.

On 11/08/2019 at 19:56, fretmeister said:

But at the moment it's got the risible Greasebucket circuit in it. I'd be happy just to rip that out and replace it with spaghetti.

Excellent use of “risible” - haven’t heard that in a while xD. What’s so bad about the grease bucket circuit? Can’t say I’ve used it.

I’ve recently installed a Tonestyler in my Dingwall Super P and have to say it’s excellent. I usually have it wide open or 1 click off closed, depending on the song. If it’s not quite right, I’ll adjust from those positions but generally those are my starting points and they tend to be spot on for me.

Fully closed is cool but I find it loses the characteristic of the P pickup as it’s pure sub. 1 click off fully closed introduces just enough of that P character for me whilst still being very dark. I still use the fully closed position for fun sometimes though!