Why become a member? ×

Best Way to practice arpeggios?

wishface

• 2 weeks later...

Its probably also worth mentioning, its worth knowing (a variety of) them, so that you can relate what you play in songs/tunes. They come up again and again in tunes.

As a starting point, in this order approx (IMHO of course):

Major
Minor
Dominant 7th
Minor 7th
Major 7th
Diminished*
Half-diminished (7b5)*
Augmented (M3, A5)*

*These last 3 are not common.

So this is what i've been doing, but it's pretty involved. Is it too in depth (i asked this on talkbass)?

Take a major 7th arpegio in F.

Start 1f E string I try to go two octaves and come back through the inversions. Thus:

G----------------2--5--9---10-9------------------------------------------9--10--14------
D---------2--3--------------------10-8-------------------------------10-------------
A-------3---------------------------------8--7------------7--8--12------------------
E-1--5------------------------------------------8--5---8--------------------------

There is one final part, but I couldn't fit it in this diagram - the final inversion and then back all the way to 1f E string.
Not only that, but when i intend to start the exercise afresh with each subsequent inversion. This example is the root inversion (F, A, C, E), it comes down with the first inversion and so on.

If that's clear :D

That's one way of playing the notes. I am sure there's about 128 different ways to do it though - the notes of the arpeggio are all over the fretboard, so you could legitimately play it in loads of different positions. Whether there's one (or a subset) of right and wrong ways, not sure though. So it might be worth practising playing the same thing in the various different positions. I would probably go for the ones which minimise shifts. 

On 20/08/2019 at 14:56, wishface said:

Should you play through more than one octave?

I like to play through all the chord extensions (including inversions), and over the years, I found it to be great ear practise as well (picking out the intervals).

But saying that, I recently went back to real basic, Triad arpeggios (on Electric and Upright), going up and down the neck in semitones.

Only, this time around, singing the notes as I played them. Basic stuff, but good for warm ups ( chop wise, ear training and vocally).

Although below is all major, I also go through all the different triads (maj/min/dim/aug etc...)

Ascending, starting on the root, descending starting on the fifth.

Major Arpeggios Bass.JPG

Major Arpeggios.pdf

Edited by lowdown
  • Like 1