Why become a member? ×

PA advice please

Nicko

With my previous rock covers act we used a system similar to the Stagepas you've provided and vocals ONLY went through it. We had no need for monitors as the singer had sung the same set for years.

In my new band we use a HK Sub & Tops, but the tops are only 150W per side. So that's 300W, but we don't use amps or a full drum kit so the stage volume won't compete with Front of House. 

With the new band, I paid for the lot and the guys paid me back through gig earnings. We now own a third each and can buy each other out if one of us quits.

Haven’t read the whole thread, but here is my advice.

- Powered speakers, passive desk 

- 12” tops seem to work best IMO

- 800w per top minimum (headroom is key)

- If you want to mic bass drum,  get at least one sub

Si

Edited by Sibob
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, phil.c60 said:

Yep, Phil Jones does......!

He uses lots of them. I know. I use PJB cabs. You need several.

Re. the original question, that Yamaha system will not, repeat not, be adequate for a rock covers band. It's a small (and probably good quality - Yamaha kit usually is) PA for moderate volume use on vocals and acoustic instruments. Would suit a folk band, wine bar jazz combo or similar, but that's it. Save your pennies for something more powerful/appropriate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

He uses lots of them. I know. I use PJB cabs. You need several.

Re. the original question, that Yamaha system will not, repeat not, be adequate for a rock covers band. It's a small (and probably good quality - Yamaha kit usually is) PA for moderate volume use on vocals and acoustic instruments. Would suit a folk band, wine bar jazz combo or similar, but that's it. Save your pennies for something more powerful/appropriate.

Yep, the message has come through loud and clear from the responses.