Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Ibanez Roadstar ii RB750 BK 1984 Japan with pickguard and backplate mod
£320
London

Marky Screen

Final Price DROP, now £260 collected. Open to working out shipping as well if required.

Another one on the chopping block that I'd like to keep but can't/shouldn't 😛

Japanese Ibanez Roadstar ii RB750 BK with custom made pickguard and backplate.

Its in great condition for a 35 year old. Bit of minor buckle rush and dings in the usual spots (top of headstock etc) but very minimal fretwear, truss rod works well and pups and bridge adjustment screws all work well with no rust. Neck front and back is in great shape too.

The pickups on this are really decent, separate adjustable pole pieces and have nice slightly aggressive growl and med to high passive output (very slightly less output than my Yammy BB424x but more than a Geddy CIJ Jazz I tried it against if anyones interested)

I've given it a decent setup for low/med action and decent intonation and its wearing a newish D'addario med nickel rounds with loads of life in em still.

From Guitar Data Project:

Your guitar was made at the 
on July, 1984
Production Number: 5038

Did a bit of research on this when I got it an its a bit of an oddity it would seem. So its a 21 fret neck and all the other images and old catalogue pages I can find are 24 fret, including this one thats selling at the Bass Gallery at the moment:

https://thebassgallery.com/products/ibanez-roadstar-rb760-1985

Know there got to be some awesome 80s Ibby aficionado on here that can shed some light on things. The one 21 neck I could find on the net was this guys review of this model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM323wNIrRI

Was a difficult one to  price up with the mods and little other info so feel free to give me thoughts on value as well, especially if you think I can get more for it 😂

Collection, Coffee and Try outs in Forest Hill. S.E. London or I'm gigging regularly around the UK a fair bit so a meet up is possible.

Cheers

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Edited by Marky Screen
Sold
  • Like 2

It's an RB750BK:

image.thumb.png.fa33398ad313a7decbeddcafc5dab5d0.png

It's a Roadstar II, not a Roadster - although anecdotally when they rebranded these in the early 80s, apparently "Roadstar" was a typo - they liked it so they kept it!

For anorak value I also have to point out that the Guitar Dater Project info on 80s Ibbys is erroneous - while the actual date is correct, these - and all other 70s & 80s MIJ Ibanez - were built by Fujigen Gakki, not Terada. I understand Terada was predominantly an acoustic guitar maker.

Needs to be asked - is that horrible scratchplate purely decorative, or has it been fitted to conceal extra routing or damage? If it's just for looks, it would be pretty straightforward to fill & touch-in the screwholes. I think some plate-off pics might help your sale.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bassassin said:

It's an RB750BK:

image.thumb.png.fa33398ad313a7decbeddcafc5dab5d0.png

It's a Roadstar II, not a Roadster - although anecdotally when they rebranded these in the early 80s, apparently "Roadstar" was a typo - they liked it so they kept it!

For anorak value I also have to point out that the Guitar Dater Project info on 80s Ibbys is erroneous - while the actual date is correct, these - and all other 70s & 80s MIJ Ibanez - were built by Fujigen Gakki, not Terada. I understand Terada was predominantly an acoustic guitar maker.

Needs to be asked - is that horrible scratchplate purely decorative, or has it been fitted to conceal extra routing or damage? If it's just for looks, it would be pretty straightforward to fill & touch-in the screwholes. I think some plate-off pics might help your sale.

Absolute Gold!! Thanks for all the info. Ive just had a look under the scratchplate and theres no routing or damage. Heres some pics as well as an inside your cavity shot ;) Didnt want to get all the knob covers and knobs out so hope you can make it out alright.

IMG_20190807_161623.jpg

IMG_20190807_161630.jpg

IMG_20190807_161853.jpg

IMG_20190807_161906.jpg

• Like 1