Why become a member? ×

My New Sire M2 4 String instructions and setup?

wishface

Hi, I just picked up the aforementioned bass. Obviously out of the factory it's not 100% setup. Seems very playable just a couple of probably minor things I could manage myself, but wouldn't mind some advice.

Intonation. Is pretty good actually, the G and D are the slightest touch out. I can probably fix that myself, assuming it just needs to settle down somewhat. 

Action. It feels pretty good, although I suspect the string guage is a bit heavier than Id like (I've absolutely no idea what it is or what make they are), they still feel a bit new and need some warming up to flow (if that makes sense). 

Buzz/truss rod: i do that thing where you fret at the first and then hold down the highest fret (nearest the bridge) on the low string to see how mch room between string and neck and it doesn't look abnormally large or small, however there is some noise on the low E, particularly playing the A (5th fret) and Bb (6th fret) and the 12 fret (the octave). I don't know if this is just settling down or anything. I'm a bit paranoid because the last bass I bought (a Cort model) had massive problems around the 5th fret that made it unplayable and I had to get a refund. That wasn't a fun time, for all concerned. I doubt it's as bad here at all, but it is certainly noisy. There's a couple of spots elsewhere, nothing major. I mention this because I don't mind adjusting the truss rod if necessary, however i'd actually like to lower the action, not raise it. Just a touch. That won't address this. As I'm not a luthier I've no frame of reference for these things. Maybe it's just general newness. I'm otherwise perfectly happy so if anyone else has some advice I'd be very grateful.

Finally, instructions. I've no idea what each of the pots and switches do. I'm not use to active basses and there are two battery compartments. I'm sure I coudl google something, but maybe one of you is familiar with this model. It didn't come with a label or user guide so all I can do is twiddle. (I only have a practice amp anyway).

39 minutes ago, wishface said:

Thanks! It's like mission control.

How do you know whether it's in active or passive? 

I would boost the bass control and switch the switch.  You will hear the difference as it is a mighty range of boost when in active mode!

EDIT: The three way EQ only works in active mode.

Either that or take the batteries out and see which way still works.  This will be passive. 

Edited by Huge Hands

28 minutes ago, wishface said:

Is it normal for new strings to feel really dry?

I bought mine second hand so I don't know if the strings on it were the factory originals.  Are they roundwounds, or flats?

I find flatwounds often have a sticky coating on them when new which can make them feel dry and rubber like on your fingers.

they don't seem like flats, but then I've never seen nor played with them. Perhaps they are just dry from sitting in the warehouse and being packaged in that stuff that prevents moisture.

It isn't a huge issue, as sooner or later they'll get changed. I'm more concerned with the odd fret buzz.

Also, I've been adjusting intonation, but getting the D right is a bit of a challenge. The bass sounds fine when I play it, for instance if I fret the 15th fret on the E and compare it to the open G it sounds fine. I don't want to just move the saddle endlessly. that seems unwise.

48 minutes ago, Huge Hands said:

Also, to answer your original question I missed, there are two battery compartments because (as far as I understand it) the active circuit is an 18V one (2x9v batteries).  They are not two separate batteries for powering different things. 

Thanks, I assumed that. Coudln't see what else they awere for (Ultra shred mode perhaps :D)

Yes I'm enjoying it. Though I have a question about intonation, again. So here's a picture of the bridge after I've adjusted the bridges.

The guitar sounds pretty much in tune to me, when I play it. But testing the tuning while intonating, the G and D are still ever so slightly out (flat, so i'm pushing the saddles closer to the neck, shortening the string length). I'm concerned that I'm going to end up pusing the saddles too much. Is that possible? If you look at the picture, are those saddles already too far, if that's evne a thing?

Thanks

20190807_213225.jpg

Is it normal for the socket for the lead to become loose so quickly? I keep having to tighten it back up which is a pain, not like I'm un/plugging it every five seconds.

The buzz on the low E is a problem. I adjusted the truss rod ever so slightly but either not enough to make a difference, or the issue is somewhere else. I can't discern if the frets are a bit high, it doesn't seem like it.

Bit unfortunate to have these issues really. I'd like to know what gauge the strings are, they could be the issue. They feel heavier than I'd like. I don't want to just keep twisting the truss rod.