Why become a member? ×

Jackson Basses - no longer just good for metal?

Al Krow

On 08/08/2019 at 17:16, Al Krow said:

Just had a very anodyne response from Fender (who acquired the Jackson brand along with its 2002 purchase of Charvel) along the lines of "not saying 'cos weights vary"...

Can't believe I'm potentially heading back to a Fender bass, if I end up getting one of these 😁

But I need to wait for the weight.

...just asked the Fender sales rep who fobbed me off on the weight, to put just one of these basses (5ers) on the scale on the understanding that YMMV etc!

If the weight of a bass is something we all feel entirely reasonable to ask each other when buying used basses, surely it's even more reasonable when we're paying a new bass 'premium' on top? Not sure why manufacturers can't understand that? :dash1:

• Like 1

Every bass will have some variance in relation to weight. Dingwall make a concerted effort to keep their basses under 4kg or at least that was the case with the Super P - it's pretty hard to give an exact figure for a full production run of a particular model what with wood being wood. Best thing to do is when you're buying one try a few in the shop and nab the one which best fit's your weight needs. Often as you've pointed out before you're happy to have a heavier bass of the balance is correct. 4.5kg is likely a good ball bark figure for a 5 string but by no means the standard.

That's fine if these basses were readily in stock. But seems to me you can only get one of these Jackson signatures if you specifically order one. Which I would be happy to do if I had rough idea of weight. Chicken and egg eh? We all appreciate that there will be some variation but it would be good to have a ball park idea to save wasting everyone's time.

Complete aside: there's a lovely bubinga Warwick fretless in the FS but sadly it weighs as much as a neutron star...

I’ve had a couple of  Charvel/Jacksons of the Pointy variety: in fact my main gigging bass is a Charvel 1B. Build quality is easily as good as anything else I’ve owned (if not better than most) and the versatility of the reverse P Pickup is remarkable. I’d highly recommend them. 

Email Dave Ellefson or hit him up on twitter. I'm sure he'd be happy to help - was he going for a particular weight/consistency QC etc.

Or ask PMT to get you one in to try when they're released. Money back 14 free rental and all that :)

Edited by krispn

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

Sweetwater (the USA retailer) are the only ones I've heard of who weigh each individual bass.

Bass Direct do, as do The Bass Gallery

Andertons do on some - mainly Dingwall.

Peach do it on the more high end models

Thomann and GuitarGuitar will get it out of the box and weigh it if you ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have now managed to coax a response out of Fender, who have confirmed that the weight should be less than 10lbs - they said "8lbs to 10lbs" to be precise but I suspect it will be nearer the top end of the range. That, for me, is fine - it would be a very similar weight to my Yamaha BB 1025. 

Hmmm so a new Jackson 5 or a used Legendary Spector? Decisions... 😄 

Edited by Al Krow

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Pointy headstock was better

Controversial.

On the one hand the new headstock might help widen Jackson's appeal to bring in more non metal oriented customers.

On the other we're talking about a Megadeth signature bass so it's target market is probably pro pointy.

2 minutes ago, krispn said:

Looks like someone designed that with a hangover! Absolutely boggin'!

The jp6/jm6 were lovely looking - I could live with that weird headstock, the other (the name eludes me) looks a bit projecty...

i do wonder if the jm/jp ever made production as I’ve honestly had my eyes open.

26 minutes ago, Cato said:

Controversial.

On the one hand the new headstock might help widen Jackson's appeal to bring in more non metal oriented customers.

On the other we're talking about a Megadeth signature bass so it's target market is probably pro pointy.

Not really - no less controversial than saying turdburst and tort look amazing or lashings of gold hardware on a bass make it look luxurious.

3 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Exactly, which bell piece would ever consider doing that, only some absolute muppet.

Its a bit like someone having a fetish for brown basses

Caramel. Don’t even own it anymore.

Cant wait to hear your graphite necked clang Machine.

• Like 1