Why become a member? ×

Jackson Basses - no longer just good for metal?

Al Krow

Not particularly come across Jackson basses as being 'big' on BC. But this recently released SIGNATURE DAVID ELLEFSON CONCERT BASS CBX-M V has got my attention!

image.png.75772b511d73466e468d6afd15f6c711.png

image.png.a7f30bd484b0310ff3540f3f8a617a18.png

• 5 string PJ & blend knob
  • reverse P EMGs 
  • 3 band EQ
  • 35" scale
  • graphite reinforced neck
  • £659 GAK in the UK (vs $750 in the US?)

Downsides

• seems to be purely active; no passive 'fall back'
  • 21 frets rather than 24 frets
  • heavy??
Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

I saw this too. Looks like it would a grand back up bass to my Sadowsky. Very traditional design spec for a Jackson. Too many knobs for me (really four is my maximum, any more and I just get lost!).

I really like the following features for the price point: 

- truss rod wheel; 

- 35 inch scale;

- EMG pick ups;

- string retainer;

- Dave Ellefson approved. 

I hope it does well. 

31 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Nice narrow nut on the 5 string - 44.45mm

That's stingray 5 land!

I am interested - if it's light enough!

Sooo much going for this bass, as you guys above have also spotted!

But your last point could be the killer one and not in a good way! I've been trawling the net for some idea on weight and not found anything that looks accurate / sensible. I took the liberty of emailing Jackson last night - hope to hear back within a couple of days.

If anyone beats me to it, please do post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thodrik said:

I saw this too. Looks like it would be a grand back up bass to my Sadowsky. Very traditional design spec for a Jackson. Too many knobs for me (really four is my maximum, any more and I just get lost!).

Whereas I love having access to 3 band EQ rather than just bass and treble on my active basses.

If you think it could provide a back up to a Sadowsky, then that would seem to me to be high praise indeed!

23 minutes ago, Graham said:

35" scale, reverse P EMG, white.....this ticks a lot of boxes for me, I could maybe see my Yamaha going to part fund one at that price

Well I moved my BB 735A on earlier in the year, and this indeed could be a tasty replacement for it!

Even has a striking similarity to the Yammy headstock  :) 

image.png.fd08344f0f17efc7dca35eb4feb7d368.png

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Al Krow said:

Whereas I love having access to 3 band EQ rather than just bass and treble on my active basses.

If you think it could provide a back up to a Sadowsky, then that would seem to me to be high praise indeed!

My previous backup to the Sadowsky was a Squier Affinity Jazz that was never played in 8 years! I don't tend to invest very highly in back up basses (on account that they are rarely used).

I have discovered that I prefer a two band EQ as a three band EQ leads me to constantly twiddle knobs. To be fair, the only three band EQ I have is a Vigier Arpege where each of the two pickups have their own three band EQ(!), which is ingenious but to me just causes me to constantly fiddle with the knobs finding new sounds. 

Seriously though, a three band EQ is not going to be a deal breaker for me. 

Also, I have just noticed that neck radius is a compound 12"-16". Shred-tastic. 

This bass has so many things going for it. 

Just had a very anodyne response from Fender (who acquired the Jackson brand along with its 2002 purchase of Charvel) along the lines of "not saying 'cos weights vary"...

Can't believe I'm potentially heading back to a Fender bass, if I end up getting one of these 😁

But I need to wait for the weight.

• Like 1

I saw the video for this when it first went public and I do think it's a good looking bass, especially in the white. If it had black hardware I think I'd want to buy one on looks alone. 

The spec list is great and I can see the bass being just the ticket for a lot of players in a lot of genres. However, Jackson's typically "metal" image and marketing might put people off what I think will probably be a fantastic bass. EMGs, 35", decent preamp and all for £650. I think it would a great gigging bass if you had expensive stuff that you'd rather keep at home. 

• Like 1

In the US and Japan Jackson gets played a lot in the broad spectrum of Rock, all the way to modern country&western. The pointy headstock may have appealed to metalheads but it's mainly the reliable build quality, durability and solid tone why metal-musicians often choose Jackson.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bolo said:

In the US and Japan Jackson gets played a lot in the broad spectrum of Rock, all the way to modern country&western. The pointy headstock may have appealed to metalheads but it's mainly the reliable build quality, durability and solid tone why metal-musicians often choose Jackson.

Given that it's been part of the Fender stable of brands for the best part of two decades does it have a reputation for being any more or less reliable / build quality than Fender basses?

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

That is a tasty Jackson! More than a passing resemblance to a Schecter or is that just my eyes playing tricks on me?

These were 1997/98-2001 so a bit before Schecter did a similar shape.

they still did this body shape up until last year.

very pretty bass