Why become a member? ×

Harley Benton Block 800B

dave_bass5

I was looking at (not really for) the Quilter Bass Block, and came across this cheaper version.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_block_800b.htm

Just wondered if anyone has used one. Price seems good for a 800watt amp (i know, i know :).

The plan woudl be to use it just as a power amp, and rum a Q/strip as the pre amp. Very portable.

Cheers. Ive started getting the train to rehearsals, meaning i dont take my TCE BH800. The Block 800 might be a good idea as it seems small enough to fit in the bag i take, with (in theory) a very similar output.

Im not sure i can ready any of that thread unless im missing the translate button somewhere

Edited by dave_bass5

Depends exactly what you're looking for, but how about the Crown 1002
https://www.thomann.de/gb/crown_xls_1002.htm ?

It's slightly cheaper, more powerful, an established brand so possibly more reliable - but larger.

Edit: Ah - I see my post crossed with yours, where you say "small enough to fit in the bag i take"!

Edited by jrixn1
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

Depends exactly what you're looking for, but how about the Crown 1002
https://www.thomann.de/gb/crown_xls_1002.htm ?

It's slightly cheaper, more powerful, an established brand so possibly more reliable - but larger.

Edit: Ah - I see my post crossed with yours, where you say "small enough to fit in the bag i take"!

I have 3 small heads, the TCE BH800, GK MB800 and Markbass F1. All good heads but none fit in my small bag.  I’m just looking for a more portable solution for when I’m not travelling in a car, but something that could be used for gigs. I hate buying stuff that only has one use.  

Mind you, that crown looks quite cool. Cheers for the heads up. 

Edited by dave_bass5

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

Haha, you’d hate it, plus the XLR doesn’t work. 

I like GKs, they’re my second favourite behind Ashdown these days 🤓 And did the XLR, I’ll DI from my SansAmp first. So, hand it over 🤣

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Merton said:

I like GKs, they’re my second favourite behind Ashdown these days 🤓 And did the XLR, I’ll DI from my SansAmp first. So, hand it over 🤣

We can talk later.. I am planning on selling it but not until I’ve gigged my BH800 at least once. This will be next month. 
Its been my fav small head, and in fact its the smallest I’ve ever owned, but I fell in love with the BH800 EQ ((via my Spectradrive)

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Merton said:

I just bought an Ashdown head on eBay that I really don’t need, so I should actually really get on with selling my Eden head and shut up about the GK 🤣

I still want the F1 head so I’m not gonna shut up 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Merton said:

I just bought an Ashdown head on eBay that I really don’t need, so I should actually really get on with selling my Eden head and shut up about the GK 🤣

Which one, do tell, just love an Ashdown purchase (even more when it’s not my wallet taking the hit).

5 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I was looking at (not really for) the Quilter Bass Block, and came across this cheaper version.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_block_800b.htm

Just wondered if anyone has used one. Price seems good for a 800watt amp (i know, i know :).

The plan woudl be to use it just as a power amp, and rum a Q/strip as the pre amp. Very portable.

From what I understand, the Quilter BB800 uses a proprietary power module, not the ICEpower module as merton pointed out.

3 hours ago, Merton said:

Will PM so as not to derail Dave’s thread further than I already have!

No problem. In fact this thread did me a favour by reminding me i did still have the GK. Going to dust it off and see how it works. Having looked at it last night It is also small enough to cover what i was looking to do so feel free to take the thread off anywhere you want 🙂

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 06/08/2019 at 17:18, Merton said:

Seems an excellent choice for a backup amp if it lives up to its claims. I guess the ICEpower ASC700 board lives under the hood like most of these new “800W” class D amps...

According to this chap "this amp uses the same exact ICE Power Module as the best and most expnsive class D power amps".

• Like 1