Why become a member? ×

P/J pupgrade help pls

scrumpymike

I've got a nice Squier s-s Jag that I'm thinking of upgrading to be a properly-giggable back-up bass.  Playability is very good as received and I've fitted a set of Hipshot ultra-light machines I already had, which has improved tuning and balance.  As you would expect, the basic OE pups and pot's are pretty limited in terms of the range and quality of sounds they deliver but, never having changed pups, I just don't know what's out there.  Any suggestions as to what would give me a significant improvement at a reasonable price?  This would be used for classic rock/pop covers, so I need some vintage tones on tap.

Edited by scrumpymike

As above Seymour Duncan quarter pounders are pretty fracking excellent - A set should  set you back about £160. They’re very cuddly and warm presentation and work very well on fretless and  have an excellent high output... your pots remain. Snip snip and replace where you found everything with new pups. Easy. satisfying.

That being said my daily driver is a set of active EMGs which can be had for the same sort of money.  This replaces everything: pots, pups and wires. As a short-term measure you can talk the battery pack in the cavity below the precision pick ups but it really needs a proper battery pack at some point. It’s not really a classic sound unless you want cranked up and gnarly.

Whatever happens upgrading a lower cost Bass with primo parts is always a good idea... 

738618E3-3951-41CA-99C6-1EBCB645B999.thumb.jpeg.cfa76a823c3be988ce08d7cc92143550.jpeg

E93B5D90-C8E3-4F13-91C4-D383C2077A53.thumb.jpeg.3a58107470367ebe1e04f0ef47f6652e.jpeg

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess
  • Like 1