Why become a member? ×

Laser etching text into a scratch plate?

I’m planning a new bass at the moment and I was going to get some stickers made but I thought it might be more fun to actually have a scratch plate laser cut and with stencil text and a logo so that the colour underneath the instrument comes out through the pickguard

Before I begin this process has anybody tried this?

Edited by PunkPonyPrincess

9 hours ago, PunkPonyPrincess said:

I’m planning a new bass at the moment and I was going to get some stickers made but I thought it might be more fun to actually have a scratch plate laser cut and with stencil text and a logo so that the colour underneath the instrument comes out through the pickguard

Before I begin this process has anybody tried this?

My buddy Marco Cortes at Marco Bass Guitars has done lots of laser cut scratch plates, control plates, and truss rod covers, including some clear ones. You do need to pay extra attention to the materials you use, but your idea should be totally do-able.

Edited by Passinwind

I've just had a guy try to do a similar job with a CNC cutter on a MIJ Strat plate, I wanted a couple of autographs made permanent.

The friction melted the edges of the cut & quickly clogged the machine as well as melting the edges of the cut. a non-starter. Another guy has done what I required using a laser etching machine. It doesn't go through the plate completely, just recessed with a colour applied into the recess.