Why become a member? ×

PEDALBOARD HELP NEEDED

Hazza2004

I’m 15 and I’m looking for some advice that I can’t really get from my parents. I play in an indie band and I’m on a really tight budget and am trying to put together a decent pedalboard. I have a dark glass b3k and I’d probably like to add a preamp, compressor and possibly chorus to that with a budget of around £120. I’m not sure whether I should continue buying pedals second hand on eBay, or if my money would be better spent on a multi effects pedal such as a Zoom b3n. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Thank you for your help,

Harry.

• Like 1

The B3n is a good place to start. For one, the B7K model in it sounds better than the real B3K if you ask me. It has a B3K model too but it sounds a bit dark for some reason! That means you could potentially sell the B3K!

In terms of other effects, you may well find better individual effects out there that would beat what you get in the B3n. But it will take a bit of time and money to experiment.

But no matter how good the effects may be, you might find you just don't get on with multi fx units and prefer single pedals, like me!

For £120 you could pick up a used TC Spectracomp, TC Corona Mini or EHX Bass Clone, and maybe a cheap preamp like a Joyo American Sound or Beringer BDI21.

• Like 1

I second the idea of the Zoom B3n, fantastic place to start. When I was in your position quite some time ago I opted for a boss me25b and it was a great decision in terms of quenching the effects thirst and actually providing me with some versatility. Absolutely go for the B3n it will serve you really well.

The best thing i found with buying a multieffects unit is that it helped me to understand what effects i wanted/ desired and i could experiment.

I ended up using one for a while then started buying individual stompboxes later when i knew exactly the sound or effect i was after.

• Like 1

On 12/08/2019 at 16:38, simon88wilson said:

The best thing i found with buying a multieffects unit is that it helped me to understand what effects i wanted/ desired and i could experiment.

I ended up using one for a while then started buying individual stompboxes later when i knew exactly the sound or effect i was after.

Exactly what I was going to say! However, there may be other alternatives around. For example, I tried one of these - https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KPBTBZL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and although it didn't quite work for me (the drive was OK, the compressor was great, but the chorus didn't have enough controlability) it may be perfect for you. Buying from Amazon also allows you to return it if you don't get on with it 😎