Why become a member? ×

Tell me about Groundwound/Halfwound strings

I'd rather have a set of strings that feels more like rounds and sounds more like flats. Not being funny, I really like the sound of flats but hate the feel. I love the feel of rounds and EQ them until they sound more like flats. Old rounds are probably the answer, but I can never keep old strings in tune.

• Like 1

D'addario ENR72 half rounds (50 - 105) are my string of choice. 

I like the strong fundamental of flats, the punch and bite of rounds but don't like the sparkle of new rounds, I also like reasonably high tension, these tick all the boxes. Due to my, let's say brutish agricultural technique, I can generate quite a lot of string noise and fret clatter with rounds but not with these. I'd say they're closer to used rounds in sound but with that lovely solid bottom end of your average flat, you can still get a good grind going on with a pick but back off the tone and you've got a great Motown vibe. I'd also say they feel closer to rounds than flats as well.

If flats are 0 and rounds are 10 then these are around the 7 mark rather than a mid way 5.

On 05/08/2019 at 19:28, Jean-Luc Pickguard said:

i've never tried groundwound strings, but I like the idea of a set that feels like flats but sound a little more like rounds. Who's tried them - or swears by them? Which ones are good, or not so good, and why?

Don't bother. Grounds just feel and play and sound like very dead rounds. Nothing feels like a flat other than a flat. Pressurewounds might be worth a punt - feel in between a flat and a round and over time, start to take on more flat like characteristics. 

I've recently fitted a set of short-scale D'Addario ENR71S Half Rounds to one of my cheapie back-up basses (Squier Jag s-s).  They're described as 'Warm/Bright' in 'Regular Light' gauge (45.65.80.100).  Didn't sound bad when I had to gig the bass for the first time last weekend.  Can't really say more at this stage as my lack of outright enthusiasm may be down to the shortcomings of the Jag compared to my more expensive basses.  You also have to take into account that I play s-s basses drop-tuned to Eb. First thing you notice is the slightly rough/sticky feel but either that wore off before the end of the set or my brain edited it out.  In any event, that didn't slow me down.

Interesting thread this - may have to give Status a try if they do a s-s set.

On 05/08/2019 at 19:55, Jus Lukin said:

Status ones are good too, but they only seem to make them in short and medium scales now, not long scale.

The medium scales are fine for 2+2 headstocks - it's only an issue when the headstock are 4 in line.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been using Status HotWire half-wounds on my Manne Acustibass for many years and am happy with the result.  The bass is fretless with a "tone chamber" and has both magnetic and a piezo pickup.  With roundwounds the magnetic pickup works well but the piezo less so.  With flatwounds the reverse was true.  With halfwounds I am able to use both pickups individually or blended and have usable tones across the full range. 

I also tried them on a Fender Jazz fretless and found them to work well there too.

• 2 weeks later...