Why become a member? ×

Amp and cab or combo???

FinnDave

I used combo's for a long time, then I discovered Trace Elliot, combos way too heavy :lol:, so now I use a Trace head with light weight cabs, certainly gives you more options using a separate head and cabs, might not be a good thing though 🙄

When I first came back to the bass after many years away, I wasn't aware of the benefits of updated technology - I just knew that I saw people gigging locally with small combos.  Jazz DB players in particular I saw using small GK combos. So that's the way my thinking went and I ended up with a TC BG250-112 combo.  After a short while, however, I became aware that there were other options that technology had thrown up. If I'd done my research, I wouldn't have gone the combo route.

What I now have is a great amp head (Genz-Benz Streamliner) and two cabinets for different applications. Barefaced Compact One 10 for rehearsals and small gigs, Genz-Benz 2-12 for bigger events. And I have the TC sitting round and doing very little, so will probably sell it.  Oddly enough though, I like it very much for use with my EUB. It's very rare that I take just that bass to any event, however, so keeping the TC for those occasions seems a bit of an expensive luxury..... 

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Yup their RM series seems to have been very well liked by our fellow BC'ers!

That would be my first port of call. I’d check out the Original range as well but I’ve been so impressed with the RM separates that I’m confident they would be my choice in combo form.

I'd keep the Super Compact and a lightweight head.  It'll outperform most combos and be easier to transport and store.  I find my BB2 to be overkill for most gigs and capable of 99% of my gigs without PA.  (But I play mostly pubs and clubs.)  It's small, light and powerful plus sounds superb.

Frank.

• Like 1

Part of the problem on the weekend was that Mitsi Outlander was out of action (about 15 miles into my drive to the venue!) and I had to use my wife's Suzuki Swift - not a very large car! I took an amp (Rootmaster 800) as I was told a cab would be found for me, but in the end, used a Fender combo, which was great - in fact, I'm listening to a recording of the gig as I type this and the bass sounds great!

36 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Got the Supertwin into my toyota Aygo along with double gig bag, amp and stuff, could prob fit guitar stuff as well, front seat was unused for gear

Smaller amp could be the key and rock the ST 001

The Rootmaster 800 is pretty small - the reason I'm considering a change is the amount of space the gear takes up in the house, where it spends 95% of its time, not space in the car.

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

The Rootmaster 800 is pretty small - the reason I'm considering a change is the amount of space the gear takes up in the house, where it spends 95% of its time, not space in the car.

Gotcha

i decided that clothes were not very important, and when the door is closed no one sees - her indoors certainly won’t worry about the packing becoming tighter

15 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Gotcha

i decided that clothes were not very important, and when the door is closed no one sees - her indoors certainly won’t worry about the packing becoming tighter

We reached bursting point some years ago, when I moved all the stuff from my 5 bedroom  house in Finland over to our 2 1/2 bedroom semi over here. The walls are under pressure!

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

We reached bursting point some years ago, when I moved all the stuff from my 5 bedroom  house in Finland over to our 2 1/2 bedroom semi over here. The walls are under pressure!

Nope - they are keeping the house sturdy in case of subsidence or natural disasters

I sold all my gear (bar 2 basses) this year, I had no intention of playing in bands again. HOWEVER, a drummer, who I said would be the only person I'd be interested in forming a band with asked me to play bass in a new band he's getting off the ground. I'm going to have to get an amp of some sort. I'm going to be looking at lightweight combos I think. I can't face hauling loads of heavy gear around. I wish I had the money for a Fender Rumble 500. I've owned one before and always regretted selling it. Oh well.

Just now, Cuzzie said:

Well, fingers crossed there is always a PA then a nice DI preamp May be all you need!

I've had a sansamp in my bag for years, used it once when an amp failed. The drummers in my band like to hear the bass, so I don't think going ampless is an option just yet.

4 hours ago, FinnDave said:

Sold the SC last year (or maybe earlier this year). Probably sold the wrong one, but that's easier to see retrospectively than at the time.

We've all been in that situation at some time - I know I've regretted selling some gear.  What about a second hand Super Compact or Super Midget?

The SM is very capable indeed and weighs next to nothing.  I often gig mine with a Quilter BB800 and it never fails to impress.

Frank.

The main reason I've not gone back to a combo is back up. 

My last combo I ended up separating the amp from the cab so if it went down I could plug in a spare head. 

But if you're DI into the desk and coming through the foldback then even if your amp goes phut you can finish the gig. 

The whole in ears / amp debate doesn't interest me at all. A band I dep for are all in ears and wireless as they like a clean tidy stage - if I got the gig full time with them I'd happily invest in some. 

But I also love a big pile of backline. It makes me happy. Not either/ or for me. 

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Sorry, should have tagged @Marvin was meant for him as a cheaper alternative! Way back in

Unfortunately not. It'll be a PA owned by a member of the band and only suitable for vocals.

2 minutes ago, machinehead said:

Me too.  I always have a spare amp head at a gig.

Frank.

Never had the money for a spare head. If my last head had gone I did carry a DI pedal, but that may not have been an option and was dependant on the PA (which wasn't usually suitable to DI a bass into).

Like is said earlier in the thread, but have pros & cons. I’ve got a 4x10 & a big valve amp. Looks & sounds great. Total pain in the butt to move about. I’d sooner have my markbass combo back. 

Here’s another option to consider... FRFR. 

I’m thinking about going down this route myself. 

On 06/08/2019 at 06:54, FinnDave said:

That was what I used to do as well, had my current rig plus a BF Super Compact which I used for the smaller gigs, usually with the Rootmaster head. I've changed bands since then though, and now only play medium sized venues or festivals, always with full PA, which means my 600 watt/2x12 rig is usually too big and by the time I get it cranked up so I can hear it close up, it is interfering with the levels out front. 

If I had storage space, I would be off to the shops today to buy a decent little combo, but sadly I have neither space nor money enough to have both options.

Two more gigs at the end of this month that I have to use the current rig for (unless I see a used combo that appeals and I can afford!), so I'll make a decision after that.

If this was me, I'd probably sell the big rig and stick with the small rig, the amp and Super Compact. It'll be the same size as a combo, lighter/easier to move around and, for the size, probably louder than any equivalent sized combo you can find. 

9 minutes ago, chris_b said:

If this was me, I'd probably sell the big rig and stick with the small rig, the amp and Super Compact. It'll be the same size as a combo, lighter/easier to move around and, for the size, probably louder than any equivalent sized combo you can find. 

+1^^

That's exactly the conclusion I came to i.e. BF SC + (in my case 450W at 8 ohm) D class amp = great combination of power & portability

Beginning to regret selling my SC now! Though to be honest, even with the six piece, two drummer band, the Rumble 100 combo at half volume was plenty on stage last weekend.

All good ideas, and food for thought - keep em coming!

@FinnDave interested as to why you would have to crank the Supertwin more than you would the SC to be able to be heard on stage and thus interfere with volumes?

SC is half a Supertwin, further away from your ears so actually would this not have to be cranked to at least the same volume?

Is it more you have to push your head to get a ‘pleasing’ sound on stage thus interfering with volumes and either a head change you don’t have to push as much, or in ears would be a better way to go so you can be at lower volume.