Why become a member? ×

Amp and cab or combo???

FinnDave

22 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

I should add my comment above was just based on low volume home playing. Not side by side, just that the F112 sounded more to my liking, and that's what counts 🙂

We've just been asked to play a follow up gig at Wembley Box Park on the 17th Dave, so if you and the missus want to come over to that, I'll make sure to give the F112 a spin then. If it ends up being as good as I think it will be, I may struggle to justify holding onto my BF SC! 😎 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I went through the same thought process a couple of weeks ago. I usually play through an Ashdown ABM 600 and Barefaced Super Twin (2x12) but had car problems and ended up playing our most prestigious event of the year through a Rumble 100 (DI'd), which got me thinking. In the end I bought a Super Compact (1x12) cab and will use it for the next couple of gigs with my Rootmaster 800 head - every bit as small and light as a combo, but more flexible. 

Unfortunately, my attempt to cut back on gear resulted in more gear, but that's how it goes!

And you were going to share this with us on your thread exactly when? 😂

IMO BF SC + decent D class head = almost unbeatable in terms of portability for a high quality rig that can deliver up to 500W (at 8 ohms).

Edited by Al Krow

43 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

And you were going to share this with us on your thread exactly when? 😂

IMO BF SC + decent D class head = almost unbeatable in terms of portability for a high quality rig that can deliver up to 500W (at 8 ohms).

I thought I had shared it last week when I agreed to buy the cab! Anyway, you've done it for me, cheers!!

The SC/RM800 rig will be used in Tavistock and Bristol in a week's time, so that should show whether it was a good idea or not! Next time out after that is a fairly small venue in Cockfosters, the 2x12 was definitely a bit OTT last time we played there!

Edited by FinnDave

I know you're kinda thinking that this has resulted in more gear rather reducing the amount of space taken up at home, which was an initial factor for you.

But I wouldn't be massively surprised if you found that your SC did the job just fine, in which case you'll be able to move your ST on and you'll have ticked all your boxes at that point :) 

15 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I thought I had shared it last week when I agreed to buy the cab! Anyway, you've done it for me, cheers!!

The SC/RM800 rig will be used in Tavistock and Bristol in a week's time, so that should show whether it was a good idea or not! Next time out after that is a fairly small venue in Cockfosters, the 2x12 was definitely a bit OTT last time we played there!

@FinnDave I'm sure you'll be satisfied with your solution. As @Al Krow says BF SC + decent D Class amp is great portable & scaleable solution. 

7 minutes ago, la bam said:

Isnt the twin only marginally larger than the compact though? I'm sure I saw a photo a bit back and there wasnt as much difference size wise as youd think.

I think you may have seen my pic of a Fearless F112 (now there's an awesome cab! :) ) and SC side by side? You're correct there isn't much difference in overall size between the two, however the Fearless is 50% heavier at circa 33 lbs vs a featherweight 21 lbs for the SC with cloth grille.

Be good to get a side by side shot of the SC and ST anyway for future ref. @FinnDave could you oblige for us?

Edited by Al Krow

On 06/08/2019 at 19:13, FinnDave said:

Part of the problem on the weekend was that Mitsi Outlander was out of action (about 15 miles into my drive to the venue!) and I had to use my wife's Suzuki Swift - not a very large car! I took an amp (Rootmaster 800) as I was told a cab would be found for me, but in the end, used a Fender combo, which was great - in fact, I'm listening to a recording of the gig as I type this and the bass sounds great!

Why didn't you get the Fender combo? 

8 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I think you may have seen my pic of a Fearless F112 (now there's an awesome cab! :) ) and SC side by side? You're correct there isn't much difference in overall size between the two, however the Fearless is 50% heavier at circa 33 lbs vs a featherweight 21 lbs for the SC with cloth grille.

Be good to get a side by side shot of the SC and ST anyway for future ref. @FinnDave could you oblige for us?

No, it was a 1x12 sc and a 2x12 st. I know it sounds daft, as youd think one would be twice the height at least, but they weren't that different.

30 minutes ago, ped said:

Why didn't you get the Fender combo? 

I already had the RM 800 head, and my friend's music shop didn't have any Rumbles in stock, so the SC was an easy buy (and a known quantity, I had one until February when I stupidly sold it!)

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'll drag the Compact downstairs, drag the Twin out of the corner, take & post a pic, then shove 'em back where they belong.

Eventually!

I've used the Rumble 100 for three or four smaller gigs now, with just a little bass into the PA (which is itself very small: a 12" RCF sub and two small Bose S1 heads*) and it's been fine: plenty loud enough, and super-convenient for simple gigs. Not sure the core tone of it is exactly me, but as I have a Stomp in front of it, it's not really that important - I'm EQing it as flat as I can get it.

I was seriously considering a SC (as well as my ST) for a modular setup, but they don't stack in a pleasing way, and I know it'd drive me mental...the old Compact and the ST, however, are visually stacktastic**.

* These things are ridiculous for their size/weight...and they'll run off batteries, too...

** Maaaaan, I'm as shallow as a puddle... 😕🙂

43 minutes ago, barkin said:

5 inches taller. 1.5 inches wider/deeper.

20 minutes ago, la bam said:

I'd definitely keep the super twin over the super compact in that case.

Except for the small point that the ST is almost DOUBLE the weight of the SC. Will be a consideration for some. 

23 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Except for the small point that the ST is almost DOUBLE the weight of the SC. Will be a consideration for some. 

Which is the reason that the ST lives downstairs and the SC is upstairs, doubling as a practice rig with my RM 800 on its lowest volume setting!

OK,  by popular demand, here are some comparison pics of a Barefaced Super Twin and a Super Compact. Anyone who needs telling which is which is in the wrong thread, probably on the wrong site!

Pictures taken 10 minutes ago in our house, showing one of the new sofas that were discussed in another thread this week, also some glimpses of the dusty cases containing my Fender Precision and Jazz basses, neither of which have been opened for a year now.

Not a lot in it in terms of height, the top of the SC is roughly level with the middle of the cone of the upper speaker of the ST

IMG_1820.thumb.jpg.599bb7d0bc3497730a9fa8023d718570.jpg

Width and depth - the rear and left hand edges are aligned.

IMG_1822.thumb.jpg.c93fdbbfc19882ac699ff20d7102c6d3.jpg

Or if you prefer the SC on its side, it sticks out. 

IMG_1824.thumb.jpg.0a075d8c081eb31992ac5b4a2cd4eeed.jpg

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 3

40 lbs vs 21 lbs for the two models you have shown. And appearances can be deceptive: the SC takes up approx just 60% of the space of the ST.

A 212 is going to beat a 112 for overall "sound". No question.

The SC is pretty much as a close to a 'half ST' as any cab can be IMO (but @FinnDave can now actually confirm that rather take my word for it!)

So boils down to: more sound with similar voicing or lighter weight?

Pays your money and takes your choice!  Or in the OP's case, just pay more money and get both... 😁

Edited by Al Krow

The extra weight does make a difference when carrying the cab any distance (though the ST has castors, which the SC doesn't), especially up steps and if you've got a boogered right hand, as I have.

That, and the fact that I am almost always DI'd into the PA anyway, means that more onstage volume isn't really required, as the Rumble 100 proved recently!

In fact, the only venue I've played with this band that we had only a vocal PA was Cockfosters, and people were complaining that the bass was much too loud at the back of the hall. Naughty Super Twin!

As I've probably said before, the best compromise would be have two SCs, one of which would usually remain at home or in the car when gigging. But I am rather attached to my dear old ST, so it isn't up for sale just yet!

Yep, I'd agree with lots of this: the ST is plenty for even the loudest rawk band I play in, and with the wheels is a relatively easy schlep, so I'm keeping it for the time being. The only thing I'd change it for would be a pair of SCs (which would free up my just-in-case Compact, too), but I haven't got the £££ right now...

The Rumble works on the smallest stages, where even the relatively small-footprint ST is too much (and it's always too much sonically for gigs like that) and we haven't got the bigger PA so I can go backline-free and IEMs...

42 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

As I've probably said before, the best compromise would be have two SCs, one of which would usually remain at home or in the car when gigging. But I am rather attached to my dear old ST, so it isn't up for sale just yet!

I think I might have posted this already somewhere, but doesn't replacing the ST with a Super Midget make a lot of sense?

I have a BB2 and SM - three rigs are possible this way and no heavy lifting.  Also much easier to store and lift into/out of cars.

Frank.

27 minutes ago, machinehead said:

I think I might have posted this already somewhere, but doesn't replacing the ST with a Super Midget make a lot of sense?

I have a BB2 and SM - three rigs are possible this way and no heavy lifting.  Also much easier to store and lift into/out of cars.

Frank.

Yes, it does make sense, but how many of our gear buying decisions are based on sense? :)

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Yes, it does make sense, but how many of our gear buying decisions are based on sense? :)

Absolutely - the sensible thing to do would be for me to move on the 15" Compact and replace it with a SC to stack with the ST; you know, they have the same drivers, etc., but...those overhangs...eeeeek. 🤔

• Like 1

1 hour ago, machinehead said:

Frank.

Just realised that I have three rigs (theoretically), plus the option of the BT & ABM 600 AND the SC with the RM 800. Can't really imagine a situation that would need all that, but it's there if it should be needed!

Then again, as I play in a Grateful Dead tribute, maybe I should invest in a truck and stockpile Barefaced entire output for a year or so!

Grateful Dead.jpg

Edited by FinnDave