Why become a member? ×

Amp and cab or combo???

FinnDave

That's a good question, and one I can't currently answer. I think the Twin 'projects' better than the Compact, or it might be linked to the height of the driver(s). Also the impedance difference means I can drive the amp a bit harder but have a lower output. 

Until the start of this year I had both SC and ST, and used the Twin with my ABM 600 and the Compact with my Rootmaster 800. I had managed to convince myself that the the SC rig was for pub gigs and the ST for the bigger venues - but then I quit the pub bands and now only play music venues and festivals.

I think I am likely to buy another SC and keep the ST as well - I don't think I've quite got the hang of this cutting back idea!! I've been offered an SC and am very likely to buy it.

22 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

That's a good question, and one I can't currently answer. I think the Twin 'projects' better than the Compact, or it might be linked to the height of the driver(s). Also the impedance difference means I can drive the amp a bit harder but have a lower output. 

Until the start of this year I had both SC and ST, and used the Twin with my ABM 600 and the Compact with my Rootmaster 800. I had managed to convince myself that the the SC rig was for pub gigs and the ST for the bigger venues - but then I quit the pub bands and now only play music venues and festivals.

I think I am likely to buy another SC and keep the ST as well - I don't think I've quite got the hang of this cutting back idea!! I've been offered an SC and am very likely to buy it.

Now we are talking - unless you absolutely have to, why cut back, just enjoy it!

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

Or, to save space, sell your ST and buy a SC and a SM.  If you don't fancy the SM (I love mine.  It's such a useful cab in so many ways.) then a pair of SC will take up less space.

I know, I'm not helping at all.  :)

Frank.

I was sensible, I'd have bought the SC originally, and then maybe considered adding a second later, but instead I bought an ST when they first came out and have been loathe to sell it even though it is more speaker than I ever need.

I'll buy the SC I've been offered and keep the ST until the dust is so thick I'll forget it's there!

Just a thought - but why not dispense with the ST, not bother getting the SC and just get a BB2 as a one stop shop that will cater for all your needs?

Or if you want something outstanding, a Fearless F112 which, as much as I love my SC for its lightness and general capability, just deals with the whole sonic spectrum (lows, mids and highs) with more authority than either the SC or even the BB2. It is IMO the best 1x12 cab I've ever come across - had a fellow BCer over last night @dave_bass5 buying a pedal back off me and I suspect he's a convert to the Fearless F112 too :) 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

That's a good idea, Al, but as I am always DI'd through the PA, I don't need a huge sound from my backline as that just antagonises the sound crew. It's just there for me and the drummers to hear, the rest of the band gets enough through the monitors. I know that in theory we could dispense with the backline completely, but that's not something we want to do just yet (except the keyboard player, he just goes straight into the PA and has a monitor next to him - which on small stages is also my monitor - no backline and I wouldn't hear myself at all!).

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Just a thought - but why not dispense with the ST, not bother getting the SC and just get a BB2 as a one stop shop that will cater for all your needs?

Or if you want something outstanding, a Fearless F112 which, as much as I love my SC for its lightness and general capability, just deals with the whole sonic spectrum (lows, mids and highs) with more authority than either the SC or even the BB2. It is IMO the best 1x12 cab I've ever come across - had a fellow BCer over last night @dave_bass5 buying a pedal back off me and I suspect he's a convert to the Fearless F112 too :) 

Oh yes, it was very impressive. Knocks the socks of the BB2 i had as far as playing at home. Cant comment on a gig situation of course, at least not until i get mine 🙂

• Like 1

I have a Super Twin which I use with a Walkabout for loud backline gigs, and at the other extreme I use inears with no backline at all, but for smaller acoustic trio gigs when we take minimal PA (meaning I won't be going through it), I've recently bought a Rumble 100, and the results have been pretty damn good. It's crazy light and markedly smaller than my ST.

42 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Oh yes, it was very impressive. Knocks the socks of the BB2 i had as far as playing at home. Cant comment on a gig situation of course, at least not until i get mine 🙂

Would be interesting to hear if the hyperbole is true - at the current volume ratings my PJB Cub is king

39 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Would be interesting to hear if the hyperbole is true - at the current volume ratings my PJB Cub is king

I should add my comment above was just based on low volume home playing. Not side by side, just that the F112 sounded more to my liking, and that's what counts 🙂

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I should add my comment above was just based on low volume home playing. Not side by side, just that the F112 sounded more to my liking, and that's what counts 🙂

We weren't being that quiet in the bass-ment last night Dave 😁 

Bear in mind that the Mesa M6 is pretty non-linear in its response i.e. it gets loud pretty quickly. We had the gain and master at between 3 and 4 out of 10 and I'd likely not go that much louder with a full band, maybe to typically 5 / 10 (or poss 6 if I was really pushing it).

After Sat's gig when the SC was feeling a little bit 'scratchy' at higher volumes in a large venue, the next large venue we do I defo need to give the F112 an outing to see how it compares. My gut instinct is that it will do very well.

Depends on company. Ex. Handbox (handmade gear from Poland) have both combos and head+cab solutions on the same pro level. Check them out! I have their R400 head and 2x12 cab and this is by far the best gear I ever had. And I have almost anything from Ampeg, GK, Markbass, Ashdown, etc. http://www.handbox.pl/R-400-MINI-HEAD-p142.html http://www.handbox.pl/WB-100-ALL-TUBE-p150.html http://www.handbox.pl/Fortec-412-p10.html