Why become a member? ×

The “other” (American) bass related conversation site.

Quilly

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

The 'do as I say not as I do' was an indirect quote-of-a-quote response to my original comment...

...and was a misconstrued interpretation of my comment, I would like to make clear.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I guess you've proved yourself right about something 😂

In my head I have this image of you as a near 60 year old that really does know the in's and out's of jazz and is right up there with all the greats of that genre.

I hope that is the case because 'Tact and Diplomacymaster62' really doesn't have the same ring to it.

If only you knew... which you don't. Yet you continue to assume. Continue following your dear leader without having a clue. 

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

Well? I'd still like to know where I've performed a similar act of kneejerk modding plus public bollocking. The 'do as I say not as I do' was an indirect quote-of-a-quote response to my original comment. You obviously have a beef with me, so let's hear it. Or is my culpability based on a "well I reckon you've probably done it, therefore you have" reasoning? 

Please PM me to discuss further. 

• Sad 1

Ah, the old Mod tactic - discuss via PM when it suits them. Do as I say, not as I do.

C'mon everyone, gang mentality, pick apart the member who actually calls BS on the ridiculous claims made on this thread. No wonder anyone who is a bass player of even slight fame never sticks around. 

Proof that BC and TB are one and the same. 

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Ah, the old Mod tactic - discuss via PM when it suits them. Do as I say, not as I do.

C'mon everyone, gang mentality, pick apart the member who actually calls BS on the ridiculous claims made on this thread. No wonder anyone who is a bass player of even slight fame never sticks around. 

I’ll PM you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

If you feel that way then why are you here?  You could be having a nice pint in a pub or visiting warm climes in the Seychelles. 

Never understood the need to get riled about something so inconsequential.....

• Like 2

This escalated quickly!

I think TB is very helpful if you know what you're looking for and can avoid getting into long conversations about the best way to sell a bass or the relative merits of craigslist or the more exacting threads where the precise angle of a decal screams Fake because only you know how to spot one etc.

Obvs there is a large quota of privileged young men who happen to play bass, and an even smaller subset of incels who are just there to cause trouble but also like a good P Bass.

If you can hop through several dozen threads without reading: 'Jaco only needed 4!' or 'there's no money above the 5th fret!' unironically - then you aren't actually on TB and it's all a fever dream.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

If you can hop through several dozen threads without reading: 'Jaco only needed 4!' or 'there's no money above the 5th fret!' unironically - then you aren't actually on TB and it's all a fever dream.

:lol: I imagine it to be a bit like Farcebook, where ERBs are met with choruses of "just buy a piano"/"that's a harp"/"Jaco/Jamerson only needed 4"/"can you play {tired rock 'classic'} on it?", etc.

1 minute ago, Rich said:

:lol: I imagine it to be a bit like Farcebook, where ERBs are met with choruses of "just buy a piano"/"that's a harp"/"Jaco/Jamerson only needed 4"/"can you play {tired rock 'classic'} on it?", etc.

oh gosh yes. 'Do you need a stepladder to play it?'

These are the people that think a Bass is the bottom 4 strings of a guitar and you use it for doubling the main riff and 3TSB is as radical as you're allowed to get. Ok dudes.

Have you seen the video clips of either elegantly coiffed European dude playing Bach or Paganini on guitar, or a woman playing (well, anything?) ''No feeling man.' 'Too many notes.' 'She's only got attention because she's pretty. etc.' *shameful*

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

Have you seen the video clips of ... a woman playing (well, anything?)
'She's only got attention because she's pretty. etc.' *shameful*

In fairness to TB, that sort of thing's happened here too. Not our finest hour, for certain.
But yes, certainly on youtube I've seen plenty of displays of breathtaking virtuosity written off as 'grooveless' or some other such Luddite nonsense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

As I say I think I read it somewhere. That’s not the same as spreading lies 🥺

And with regard to your second point, most of it was behind a forum you can only read as a member. I’m now banned and it’s probably been deleted. Trust me, it was there. 

Seconded. I remember a few years ago reading a scattering of very unpleasant posts about Ped and BC on Finnbass. 

I'd joined Finnbass because a couple of people I liked had gone over there. I visited on a number of occasions but the traffic was a little slow and threads took time to evolve (which is perfectly understandable and reasonable in a spin-off forum, NOI).

It struck me that far from being a cross between TB and The Lord Of The Flies Finnbass was simply a bass forum where 99% of the members seemed entirely normal but a tiny number of them exhibited two striking characteristics. The first was that they were obsessed with BC and the second was that they were horrible c*nts.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 8

Who was behind Finnbass? Was it BigBeefChief? I do remember his inane posting on this forum. There are always a few who desire to be 'edgy' and push the limits of what is acceptable, usually resulting in a ban. 

'Makisupastar' on Talkbass was another absolutely prolific poster of rubbish. He had a startlingly high post count after a very short time on the site, and was always trying to push the limits of just what he could get away with saying. I just checked on Google to see where he had went, the first thread that popped up was one from two years after he had joined remarking that he was in the top 5 post count (some feat). 

On the subject of moderation standards, they vary but I think BC is about as good as it gets. It's still 'small enough' in terms of active members for mods to be accountable and fair, and of course their status is publicly known. Compare to that say, a Facebook group. I was given an admin warning (snort) by some twit on NoTreble or something a couple of weeks ago, when in polite discussion with some unknown, he referred to me as 'dyslexic' for not agreeing with him over a point of semantic dispute. When I called him out for the crass insult, he deleted it and noted that I had been given a mod warning for my part in the argument whilst also apologising for using the term 'dyslexic' as an insult. I did ask if he would also give himself a mod warning but received no reply, I guess that's not a two-way street. 😂

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

Who was behind Finnbass? Was it BigBeefChief?

I can't remember who was behind FinnBass (was it Finn?) but I'm sure tBBC went over there some time after it launched

4 minutes ago, Chris2112 said:

On the subject of moderation standards, they vary but I think BC is about as good as it gets. It's still 'small enough' in terms of active members for mods to be accountable and fair, and of course their status is publicly known.

:) Absolutely!

• ped locked this topic