Why become a member? ×

The “other” (American) bass related conversation site.

Quilly

2 hours ago, Rich said:

I got a thorough public bollocking on there once in a 'famous people who play musical instruments' thread for mentioning the words 'Tony Blair'. Was told in no uncertain terms that they have a no-politics rule and that I was never to do it ever again, 'do you understand?' I think I've been there maybe once or twice since. 

How does it feel being on the other side of moderation for a change? You may have been 'that' mod in the past. 

2 hours ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

How does it feel being on the other side of moderation for a change? You may have been 'that' mod in the past. 

Blimey. When did I pee on your fireworks, exactly?

• Like 10

Finnbass was brilliant, it really served a purpose for us as we could send anyone who couldn’t behave on BC over there where people could spout off about how we’re Nazis and so forth in an echo chamber.

Lots of very nasty things said about me there, quite funny to read at first but actually quite upsetting, sad and frightening at the same time. 

Wishing them all the luck in the world, the more the merrier etc. IIRC the owner got locked out of the forum somehow and couldn’t get back in or decided not to bother. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, ped said:

Finnbass was brilliant, it really served a purpose for us as we could send anyone who couldn’t behave on BC over there where people could spout off about how we’re Nazis and so forth in an echo chamber.

One time I affectionately referred on BC to FinnBass as being a sort of Devil's Island and a tiny but vocal minority of the islanders failed to see the funny side.

Like I f*cking cared. Still miss the BigBeefChief though.

Edited by skankdelvar
grammar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I read a few of his posts the last time this was discussed (some years ago) and they were quite droll. Not in the same league as your good self of course, but amusing all the same.

You're much too kind. The BBC was in a whole different league, looked better than me in a beret and is a very nice man in person. 

• Like 2

No forum is perfect, that's for sure. No matter where you go, you will find people acting in bizarre, unusual ways. 

My mind wanders back to that thread about Scott Devine and the OP who seemed to have some bizarre vendetta against him, even making some not-so-subtle aspersions about his decision to make his wife a director in his business. 

I find Scott's YouTube personality a bit cringey at times but when he takes the mask off he seems like a really sound down to earth bloke. However, no matter what you think of him, he didn't deserve the abuse he got got in that bizarre thread. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mastodon2 said:

No forum is perfect, that's for sure. No matter where you go, you will find people acting in bizarre, unusual ways. 

I'd wager the notion that everyone sometimes acts in bizarre, unusual ways - though admittedly some more than others.
People go through many different kinds of stuff in their lives, and most of the time, one can sense those hardships in the background when they post in said ways on any forum.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BassTractor said:

I'd wager the notion that everyone sometimes acts in bizarre, unusual ways - though admittedly some more than others.
People go through many different kinds of stuff in their lives, and most of the time, one can sense those hardships in the background when they post in said ways on any forum.

. . . . and the Richter scale of idiocy has a tenancy to rise after the pubs have shut!!

On 06/08/2019 at 17:38, dmccombe7 said:

I've seen comments on here about people asking questions and someone chips in with "search the forum its been done already" so TB or other forums aren't alone in that respect.

Clearly the person chipping in is a TB shill.

Just now, Jazzmaster62 said:

Haha, you know that isn't the case. 

Do you know what IIRC means? I’m sure that’s what I read at one point, or maybe it was the new ‘movingair’ forum which was going to be the next big thing and take all my members. 

Seriously Ped, why are you just spreading lies? 

12 hours ago, ped said:

Lots of very nasty things said about me there, quite funny to read at first but actually quite upsetting, sad and frightening at the same time. 

That simply isn't true. No where on Finnbass does it have any of that.

5 minutes ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Seriously Ped, why are you just spreading lies? 

That simply isn't true. No where on Finnbass does it have any of that.

As I say I think I read it somewhere. That’s not the same as spreading lies 🥺

And with regard to your second point, most of it was behind a forum you can only read as a member. I’m now banned and it’s probably been deleted. Trust me, it was there. 

I’m a member. 

But that’s enough about my general persona.

I don’t do Farcebook, Twatter, InstantGran, or whatever other antisocial media is out there, so bass forums are my only internet outlet for the general nonsense in my head.

I really like Finnbass, found the population there incredibly helpful, funny and met a couple of fine people from there in dodgy car parks (that’s another story though). I like the spit and sawdust back street pub feel to it. 

I also have visited TB a couple of times and, again, found some helpful info there. 

I like this place generally too, but this is the only site I’ve got into “arguments“ on, funnily enough never about gear. Once I was accused of lacking a sense of humour and another time my humour being inappropriate. 

My experience to date is that forums are fine places, but it’s too easy to take what is typed too personally, out of context, or interpret with attritional bias, etc, as  I can’t see the face of the person typing so can’t read their intentions. It’s too easy for peeps to get carried away (me included) or type something they wouldn’t necessarily say face to face with someone. 

I would like to add that mods have been very helpful here ime. 

I’m still a member. An old wrinkly member. 

Edited by oldslapper
  • Like 4

Might be an over generalization but I just find people here have a bit of a self-deprecating sense of humour and don't take themselves too seriously. I find its a more friendly site and you're not walking on eggshells as much.  

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

Aside from RRF, mylespaul.com is another minefield. Some of the spats I've seen on there are pages long (search for the Joe Bonamassa gin meltdown) and some of the plonkers over there are not adverse to hurling and insult at you out of the blue, as is a particular Moderator who is frightfully rude and clearly unstable, both on the forum itself and in private messaging.

TDPRI, a Telecaster forum, is pretty friendly, and if you inadvertently cross a line you're politely warned via PM, often with a smiley as an accompaniment. But, RRF and the official RIC forum were scary places to inhabit at times, esp if JH was on the warpath.

Edited by NikNik

19 hours ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

19 hours ago, Jazzmaster62 said:

Point well made. Do as I say but not as I do. 

16 hours ago, Rich said:

Blimey. When did I pee on your fireworks, exactly?

Well? I'd still like to know where I've performed a similar act of kneejerk modding plus public bollocking. The 'do as I say not as I do' was an indirect quote-of-a-quote response to my original comment. You obviously have a beef with me, so let's hear it. Or is my culpability based on a "well I reckon you've probably done it, therefore you have" reasoning?