Why become a member? ×

The “other” (American) bass related conversation site.

Quilly

19 minutes ago, Unknown_User said:

Reelly?  You should float some fishing threads.  I'd be hooked.

Oh, oh! The puns begin. Be afraid, very afraid. I think think some folks are angling to derail this thread. I don't disapprove, as some lightheartedness can tackle some of the heavier comments, which often ends in the posters making a rod for their own backs. 

Ooh, is that my coat?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Oh, oh! The puns begin. Be afraid, very afraid. I think think some folks are angling to derail this thread. I don't disapprove, as some lightheartedness can tackle some of the heavier comments, which often ends in the posters making a rod for their own backs. 

Ooh, is that my coat?

You're just trying to bait me now.

19 hours ago, Quilly said:

Just think the folks here are a much friendlier bunch than that “other” site across the pond. A lot of folks there act like they’ve small willies or something. 

Ive seen a good proportion of posts by eunuch's on here as well 🙂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lowdown said:

That's exactly what someone from TB would like...

:D

Nah, they wouldn't give a stuff about what we think tbf 

"Is Glasgow / York / Bristol etc** in London? I love London"...🤣

** delete as applicable

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

Strictly speaking, "vacuum tube" is a more accurate term than "valve"...

You're both right?  Vacuum tube relates to the construction, valve relates to it's purpose (as a rectifier).

Sorry......slow day at the office.

• Haha 1

I find TB to be a slightly more big-headed version of here.

You can find a lot (and very specific) information on any fx, amp, bass etc. you need - but for every actual expert who designed the thing posting some useful info, there are a dozen 'well I know how it really works' experts. Just ignore them!

I do like that it's big enough and influential enough for manufacturers to appear: Sheldon Dingwall, Jim from Bergantino, all the Source Audio people, Doug from Darkglass etc. they are unfailingly polite and helpful.

You can also get a far greater sample of reviews on any piece of equipment.

There's also some good humour on there too - it only gets a bit silly, imho, on the 'how much is this bass worth? my neighbour's had it in his loft since '68,' threads, or the wall of pseudo-science that pervades the amplifier and speaker cab threads (oh no, that's not what dispersion does...)

Edited by Daz39

It's too big. Takes ages to wade through to find something interesting or relevant.

It's fine if you're interested in gear that's 'Made In America', otherwise forget it. Gear made elsewhere, particularly Indonesia, Korea or China, gets a slating, despite it being as good if not better than American made stuff.

I've therefore found no particular use for the site. Also most contributors seem quite humourless. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

I was kidding but am a bit pished at the pub and couldn’t find emojis, @Bluewine is an exemplary American and definitely an honorary Englishman.

I'm assuming you mean "Brit" once home and sober again. :D:hi:

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I use for reference on gear when thinking of buying. I always use BC first and then onto TB to get as much info as i can. I currently have shortcuts to Mesa, Bergantino and "Scotch" (better known as Whisky over here)

I can't be bothered trying to go thru the vast menu levels looking for things

I've also found that many jump on you just for the sake of arguing. Maybe its an American thing where they enjoy conflict.

Much prefer BC where we are generally a caring, fun bunch with vast amounts of genuine and accurate knowledge without the attitude (well most of the time) We always have our comedians tho and that for me is what makes it kinda more interesting .....EXCEPT WHEN I'M SERIOUSLY LOOKING FOR ADVICE.........(and YES you know who you are) :laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Dave

• Haha 3

I don't mind TB and used to use it a lot. There's loads of helpful people on there. I eventually got bored having to wade passed all the club threads which popped up over the years and dominate the first couple of pages of each thread.

1 minute ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I haven't posted on TB for a long time, but it's a valuable resource.

My favourite TB-related activity at the moment is noticing just how many members have BANNED under their usernames. Seriously, so many have it! What do you have to do to get yourself banned?

I find expressing an opinion online usually does it. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

My favourite TB-related activity at the moment is noticing just how many members have BANNED under their usernames. Seriously, so many have it! What do you have to do to get yourself banned?

This! ^^^^^^^^^^

9 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I haven't posted on TB for a long time, but it's a valuable resource.

Annecdotal evidence I've heard over the years from BC members who've been banned from TB suggests it doesn't take much.

I suspect derailing a thread with cheese puns (standard BC practice) would probably do it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Cato said:

Annecdotal evidence I've heard over the years from BC members who've been banned from TB suggests it doesn't take much.

I suspect derailing a thread with cheese puns (standard BC practice) would probably do it.

Sarcasm will get you a slap. Have a firm opinion that doesn't conform to forum 'perceived wisdom' is frowned upon. Have a negative view of US made products. Most of the humour that is run of the mill on Basschat. 

Take your pick.