Why become a member? ×

‘72 (ish) P bass build

Jimothey

I have a standard P bass and soon to finish a 51/54 P bass so I thought I’d make a 72 style P bass as well to complete the set!! (I don’t think I’m missing any p bass styles but please correct me if I’m wrong!!)

Its going to be P/J pickup config body is going to be bright yellow with black pickguard/hardware possibly a black neck I haven’t decided yet?? but if I decide not to have the whole neck black it will probably have a black faced headstock tho 

8FD61C0E-6AB5-429E-B23E-C84526530A7F.thumb.jpeg.f6dcc6b7d1af4a373b5a5eddf9738a3e.jpeg

Just got to fill in some of the pickup cavity first................😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Jimothey said:

Just got to fill in some of the pickup cavity first................😀

I'd be tempted to rout out that whole patch around the pickup and set in a new one and start again, you'll get better integrity I would think

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Christine said:

I'd be tempted to rout out that whole patch around the pickup and set in a new one and start again, you'll get better integrity I would think

Yeah I think your right I did think the same thing after I posted the pic...........😀

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Christine said:

Is that all you've done? I expected to see it finished this morning :laugh1:

Better

I know I’ve been a bit lazy recently!!

All the pickups have been ordered and they are on their way from China so I can’t really do a lot more on either the P’s till I get them...............😀

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I don’t know whether to do it with Chrome hardware as the tuners on the black neck I’m using are Chrome........🤔

64233D40-11E4-4D4D-86B1-668E20DB2337.thumb.jpeg.d91f8a5958e0411325c8eb71b63ccc62.jpeg

Buy black ones and then build another bass so they're not wasted. 

Obvious really.

• Haha 2

Just a quick update the pickups arrived today so it’s all systems go when I get back to work tomorrow!!

As both my P builds are almost done I’ve started thinking about the my next project I’m thinking that I need a Duff Sig bass ...........😀

Edited by Jimothey

I wouldn’t go as far as I know what I’m doing most of the time I just wing it!! This is one of the few basses that I’ve stuck to my original plan!! But thanks anyway mate.......👍

Edited by Jimothey
  • Thanks 1