Why become a member? ×

Fender Greasebucket circuit removal

fretmeister

I have a lovely Fender American Special with the Greasebucket tone circuit.

The circuit is crap. In fact I've had 2 basses with it on, and it's crap on both of them.

I've seen various diagrams showing how to turn it into a regular tone control using the existing capacitors. As I understand it, the 0.1uF is the vintage choice and the 0.22uF is the modern one.

I've found a few ebay demos of the capacitor swaps but either they have not been recorded very well or my ears can't tell the difference. Is there really much of a difference?

Which one to I go for?

On 05/08/2019 at 11:45, fretmeister said:

I have a lovely Fender American Special with the Greasebucket tone circuit.

The circuit is crap. In fact I've had 2 basses with it on, and it's crap on both of them.

I've seen various diagrams showing how to turn it into a regular tone control using the existing capacitors. As I understand it, the 0.1uF is the vintage choice and the 0.22uF is the modern one.

I've found a few ebay demos of the capacitor swaps but either they have not been recorded very well or my ears can't tell the difference. Is there really much of a difference?

Which one to I go for?

I'm not familiar with the Greasebucket. What does it do?

On 06/08/2019 at 08:55, dannybuoy said:

Yeah I think .47 is vintage, .22 a bit brighter, .1 rarely used but brighter still?

0.1 is vintage (as used in the original single coil P basses), 0.047 is standard, which I believe were introduced in late 60s and especially the 70s. 0.022 is guitar standard, so very bright!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'm not familiar with the Greasebucket. What does it do?

It’s an ineffective tone control, that doesn’t do a lot.

Or at least does nothing like the description of it about letting clarity through as you turn down the tone.

It’s  crap.

• 2 weeks later...

I really liked greasebucket in Am. Special P I had at home for a few days. Can't see anything wrong in it.

I have vintage spec. P with .1 cap and it's unusable mud city when tone knob is closed for more than 1/3 of range - with a lot of volume loss. I've modified it to more modern specification (.47) and was much better, but eventually few months ago got back to original - I love this bass just as it is ;) I use it with 10-years old LaBellas 760 FL. 

But removing sould be fairly easy - just throw away everything that is not a pot or cable and put .47 cap in the right place ;)

The capacitor costs less than a single bubble gum, you can buy a few and experiment :)