Why become a member? ×

Steely Dan's Gold Teeth 2.

bubinga5

I love Gold Teeth for its Jazz funk slide. But this is just stunning musicianship in every way possible. They are/were so superb, from the amazing harmonies, to the bass playing to the drumming. to that excellent guitar part from Denny. Its absolutely magical... imo..  I love soul and funk but if I was stuck on a desert island .

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 4

First heard this sitting in a van as a builders labourer in  the 80s  , was dabbling in bass at the time , but that albums  musicians and production opened my ears  , and I went on to play bass professionally for many years , now full circle and sitting in my own builders van , with Tinnitus and sore elbows 😀! But an interesting journey up to this point I suppose ..And Steely Dan are still on my playlist every week at some point .

Thanks for posting J 

Over 30 years of playing , there are a few stand out moments that have stayed with me over the years as well as Steely Dan , 

Nightfly ,  found  it in my mums car cassette player .

Go West ....First Album ..PP 

Peace Beyond Passion...MN

James Taylor live at The Beacon Theatre... what a band ..😀JJ & SJ

Two against nature DVD ... what a band ...😀.TB & RL

One more once ..Live ..OMG ...AJ

There will be much more in my memories somewhere 👨🏻‍🦳

These are things I go back to often . Yep I’m an old fart ..J 

• Like 1

Over produced  ( or as i call it - slickly produced ) is what SD are about.  Becker and Fagen just seemed to have the knack of finding the right musicians for every track.  And of course, an incredible anal attitude in  the recording studio.  But thats how to produce music to sound like they do, which is intentional.

What amazes me over the most of the SD albums, and i have 6 i think, is that  they somewhow manage to make fab jazzyness sound so accessible.

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

Over produced  ( or as i call it - slickly produced ) is what SD are about.  Becker and Fagen just seemed to have the knack of finding the right musicians for every track.  And of course, an incredible anal attitude in  the recording studio.  But thats how to produce music to sound like they do, which is intentional.

What amazes me over the most of the SD albums, and i have 6 i think, is that  they somewhow manage to make fab jazzyness sound so accessible.

Have you seen the documentary about them? I watched it a few years ago, they mentioned how many top line session guitarists they went through for I think, just one guitar solo on one song.

1 hour ago, haimesy said:

Al Jarreau ...Live in London ...MM

A legendary night. I was at that gig, (the recorded one), an amazing night of musicianship.

Nathan East, Ricky Lawson, Bobby Lyle, Patches Stewart, Charles "Icarus" Johnson and a few others (names escape me).

The support band during the first part of the evening...

David Sanborn, Marcus Miller, Steve Gadd, Hiram Bullock, Don Grolnick...

Two amazing bands for the price of one. It didn't get any better than that! :D 👍

27 minutes ago, ambient said:

Have you seen the documentary about them? I watched it a few years ago, they mentioned how many top line session guitarists they went through for I think, just one guitar solo on one song.

I've seen this one, if that's the one you mean ?  And yes,  thats their anal attitude i speak of.  When you know what you want, you keep on till you find it.  Thats why they sound like they do. If you dont get them, and it sounds like you dont, then you dont get them and that's fine. I dont get rap music, but many do.

• Like 1

I came to SD quite late in the game through the Two Against Nature dvd at a friend's house. It's a continuum between freedom and production and everything sits somewhere on that line. Improvisation is one thing, arrangements another. It's all good. 

That Denny Dias solo is probably my favourite of the large number of killer guitar solos in the 'Dan catalogue.
I'm was initially drawn to stuff like Pretzel Logic and Royal Scam but over the years I learned to appreciate the ice cool Aja and Gaucho material a lot more than when I were a lad. Also enjoyed Everything Must Go and Two Against Nature much more than I thought I would.

Current favourite tune would be this splendid slice of achingly sophisticated pop (Purdie and, I think, Chuck Rainey right in the pocket) with an exquisitely acid lyric:

• Like 1