Why become a member? ×

Stevie’s 12” FRFR Cab Build Thread (Basschat Cab v3)

funkle

Just finished fitting the last panel to  my cabinet (serial no.003). Here are a few photos of the build so far. As Stevie has noted, a dry build to check for fit is a must before applying any glue. Also use as many clamps as possible to ensure an even join. I found that the panels do distort (very) slightly when clamped so good even pressure along the joins is beneficial, I  applied pressure until the glue started to squeeze out of the join evenly along the whole length then stopped. I used 3 clamps  per panel join, one at each end and one in the middle. To avoid damage to the panels and to help even out the pressure I used scraps of wood under the clamps. The 600mm clamps which I've seen recommended for this job are only just long enough to reach from top to bottom of a complete cab so I substituted alloy and steel plate scraps I had to spread the clamping load.

IMG_4895.thumb.JPG.f11fcf7572cf2aa58e56a5e0ab2c49d4.JPG

IMG_4894.thumb.JPG.2360927280e8abe384e179119d9db1da.JPG

IMG_4896.thumb.JPG.1570125505530553d7a2f6b92f6c571a.JPG

IMG_4897.thumb.JPG.d6d906456350df0f50a03872e4120570.JPG

IMG_4901.thumb.JPG.370cbe31aa61e4613dfa69fee6d59634.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4898.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RichardH said:

I was admiring the floor tiles :D

2 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

So was I mmmnn

Can you believe they were hidden under an old carpet when we moved in? It was only as the inset door mat left a little ridge that I pulled it back and found them shortly after we moved in. Lots of scrubbing, learning how to clean Victorian floor tiles (1860-70 based on the factory details on the back, House is older) and repairing just two small patches. 

You can see the tools in the background- we are in the middle of one of those mental-when-will-this-finish DIY jobs decorating the hall and landing... it would be simple except the fact that I’ve had to dismantle, restore and rebuild in a more child friendly manner the stair banister... the bass cab build has to be priority two till that is finished :( 

• Like 1

There are now only two kits to send out and I'm hoping to get those out tomorrow. It depends on how quickly I get through my (paid) work. Thanks very much to Tony and John for dropping off the cardboard boxes and bubblewrap - they've been a godsend. Apologies to the final two - you know who you are - but your patience will soon be rewarded.🙂

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

Just now, basstone said:

Last bit of clamping as the grille frame goes in. Centre cross piece is not glued yet but it does give a lot of extra support to the grille so I will probably keep it.IMG_4903.thumb.jpg.0ea2d72801cf5a74f35ec4bfcf61e5c4.jpg

IMG_4905.jpg

IMG_4910.jpg

IMG_4911.jpg

IMG_4912.jpg

Trial fit for horn, handle and grille looking good. No issues with pilot holes 🙂 . The grille badge is not fixed in place yet. I do like the silver paint on the grille. Should look even better when the cab is painted satin black Tuff cab. Filling and sanding next

• Like 1

@basstone I hate to say this...but...

That support you have glued across the front is meant to be across the inside...in the rebate that runs roughly in the same line where you have glued it. 

🤐

However it may still work the way you have done it. @stevie will need to comment. 

Or is that an extra bit of batten you have made yourself and glued across the front?

Pete

It looks like an extra support for the grille. I'm not sure that it needs it but it's certainly a good idea to try to support a grille somewhere close to the centre.

Acoustically, it's close enough to alter the frequency response of the horn but I've no idea whether you'd actually notice it in practice.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, funkle said:

@basstone I hate to say this...but...

That support you have glued across the front is meant to be across the inside...in the rebate that runs roughly in the same line where you have glued it. 

🤐

However it may still work the way you have done it. @stevie will need to comment. 

Or is that an extra bit of batten you have made yourself and glued across the front?

Pete

The support across the middle front of the baffle is not part of the cabinet kit, it's a piece left over from the grille support frame. It does add a considerable amount of stability to the expanded steel grille. It's not glued yet as I just wanted to test it out and may do an audio test just to convince myself that I can't hear any difference with / without it before making a final call.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, basstone said:

The support across the middle front of the baffle is not part of the cabinet kit, it's a piece left over from the grille support frame. It does add a considerable amount of stability to the expanded steel grille. It's not glued yet as I just wanted to test it out and may do an audio test just to convince myself that I can't hear any difference with / without it before making a final call.

It's a good idea. If you find it does affect the sound, consider just gluing a small piece  of batten near the centre instead.

35 minutes ago, stevie said:

It's a good idea. If you find it does affect the sound, consider just gluing a small piece  of batten near the centre instead.

Yes I also have a smaller piece which may be just as effective in supporting the grille. The full length piece was just self supporting without any glue for a quick trial.