Why become a member? ×

Stevie’s 12” FRFR Cab Build Thread (Basschat Cab v3)

funkle

19 hours ago, converse320 said:

I can duly report Its really really good for keyboards.  Certainly much more obviously impressive than on bass actually.   I think with a pokier high resolution amplifier it will be even better.  Very happy.

Piano is a much more exacting test of sound quality than bass. You can get away with a lot with bass guitar, but keyboards - and particularly piano - reveal shortcomings  fairly quickly. It's not that you can't hear the the shortcomings with bass, but piano makes them more obvious.

1 hour ago, stevie said:

Indeed. It's the first build I'm aware of that's based on the plans rather than the CNC kit. Perhaps not surprising, as Richard is responsible for producing the plans that appear on the parallel thread.

I wouldn't say responsible - I took what had already been done and adjusted/amended to suit - I'm just the monkey - never the organ grinder!

1 hour ago, stevie said:

Piano is a much more exacting test of sound quality than bass. You can get away with a lot with bass guitar, but keyboards - and particularly piano - reveal shortcomings  fairly quickly. It's not that you can't hear the the shortcomings with bass, but piano makes them more obvious.

I knew there was a good reason I took up bass rather than keyboards...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/11/2019 at 23:04, converse320 said:

Leather corners would be great.   The radiuses are pretty tight though as its fairly thin ply, so not sure if it would work - but thats a great suggestion, I was going for the Mesa Boogie basket weave look as I'll be using a D-180 with it.  The fabric is going to be this one:

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Grillcloth_x/Mojotone-Black-Tan-GrillCloth

Can't wait - this is going to look amazing!

One of the inserts I used instead of T nuts came out yesterday as I re-fitted the Faital Pro. I decided to use one of those self-threading inserts. Big mistake! The insert stated to pull the plywood laminators aprt rather than screw in. Copious amount of wood glue and a lot of pressure patience and the original insert has now been installed. 

• Like 1

On 16/11/2019 at 18:26, funkle said:

@LukeFRC you need to do the leathering effect at least twice to make it decent. I did it three times, I think. I can’t quite remember. 

I’m up to two - it sometimes is lifting to much paint off with it - dabbing it on again with a bunch of scrunched up sheet is working quite well. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stevie said:

And that wiring looks right. Just make sure that the three green wires are in the centre of the connector strip.

That was funkles wiring, I’ll check mine later- I’ve got a grill frame drying currently and a window surround to build

Bit more progress on the cab build....

Rough cut for the baffle holes

RHC1.thumb.jpg.30730474a800171c6b1ad2abe17dd78c.jpg

Making the port hole the right size...

RHC2.thumb.jpg.9d239da375d5436736b9b402c0519dcf.jpg

...yup, it fits

RHC3.thumb.jpg.199565b0a01cdab87f6d59079661dc26.jpg

One baffle done... 

RHC6.thumb.jpg.2dfe50b2f7593dfa9ab5d7940a00ad69.jpg

...which is then used as the template for finishing the second.

RHC8.thumb.jpg.92da524ffe4cb5be1091b3f33769dc01.jpg

...and there we go

RHC12.thumb.jpg.bcc9f0a09bb97faeaa871087a9836e50.jpg

I am still intending to run the second one without tweeter, but since I have two horns I thought I might as well have the baffle cut for them, and then seal the horn instead of fitting the compression driver. If I then want to run them as separate cabs or for keys or something, it will "simply" be a matter of another driver and crossover.

I bought the horns ages ago (as well as the two drivers) - I suspect if I'd held fire and read the comments from people who have them up and running, I might have just gone for one cab, but hey ho!

RHC8.jpg

Edited by RichardH
image duplicated
  • Like 2

While Chienmortbb was here this afternoon repairing my coil winder, we alpha tested the BCcab 112 with  a "sub" (same cab but with a lowpassed 12" bass driver). It was impressive. I had been concerned that the bass might sound excessive, but it wasn't in the slightest. It didn't sound like there was any more bass, but the overall sound was bigger (no surprise) and the bass was tighter (which was a surprise).

I guess this will be a project for the New Year.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, stevie said:

While Chienmortbb was here this afternoon repairing my coil winder, we alpha tested the BCcab 112 with  a "sub" (same cab but with a lowpassed 12" bass driver). It was impressive. I had been concerned that the bass might sound excessive, but it wasn't in the slightest. It didn't sound like there was any more bass, but the overall sound was bigger (no surprise) and the bass was tighter (which was a surprise).

I guess this will be a project for the New Year.

Sounds like my build could be a good guinea pig for this, Stevie...