Why become a member? ×

Stevie’s 12” FRFR Cab Build Thread (Basschat Cab v3)

funkle

4 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Also - my tip - buy the metal grill as Stevie recommends - the frame for the grill cloth is turning out to be harder work than it would have been just buying the metal grill

I had a bit of a problem with the grill. First it had a bit of scarring on it, luckily just one side, so it doesn't show, and the minor marks on the front are covered. 

Second, the holes don't line up with the edge, so I couldn't get screws in one side, and they are right at the edge on the top. Seems pretty solid though.

4 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I had a bit of a problem with the grill. First it had a bit of scarring on it, luckily just one side, so it doesn't show, and the minor marks on the front are covered. 

Second, the holes don't line up with the edge, so I couldn't get screws in one side, and they are right at the edge on the top. Seems pretty solid though.

My first one was not perfect but the seller is sending a replacement. I know what you mean about the holes though. It may need some fixing battens fixed inside the current grille support  frame.

Edited by Chienmortbb

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Looks like it took preference over the skirting boards after all!

Heck no- they are more or less done...and all the spindles, just the last bit of snagging to go. The problem has been what with the big old DIY job, a stressful full time job and wanting to be a half decent husband and daddy I wore myself down, got sick with a chest infection and didn’t get better... so I’ve abandoned the hallway in its “almost finished” state, been off work in bed and taking anti biotics the doctor perscribed for the last three days. I had a bit more energy today and decided that if I was going to do something with it it would be what I wanted to do - rather than this blooming hallway... so first coat of paint on the box and I took my daughter to the library :)

you didn’t need to know all that but it’s been a horrid month of feeling rubbish!
My bass playing isn’t really affected apart from ‘stage demeanour’ but seeing that it’s been playing at church it is not that important I’m not putting on a show!

but thanks for asking, radiators fitted on Monday! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

Heck no- they are more or less done...and all the spindles, just the last bit of snagging to go. The problem has been what with the big old DIY job, a stressful full time job and wanting to be a half decent husband and daddy I wore myself down, got sick with a chest infection and didn’t get better... so I’ve abandoned the hallway in its “almost finished” state, been off work in bed and taking anti biotics the doctor perscribed for the last three days. I had a bit more energy today and decided that if I was going to do something with it it would be what I wanted to do - rather than this blooming hallway... so first coat of paint on the box and I took my daughter to the library :)

you didn’t need to know all that but it’s been a horrid month of feeling rubbish!
My bass playing isn’t really affected apart from ‘stage demeanour’ but seeing that it’s been playing at church it is not that important I’m not putting on a show!

but thanks for asking, radiators fitted on Monday! 

Oh dear, I've been similarly afflicted hope you start to shake it soon.

• Thanks 1

Although my cab is not yet complete (will be getting the Tuffcab on Weds), I took it to both Open Mic night on Thursday and a Gig on Saturday. So what was the sound like? Well on Thursday at Open Mic I was asked to turn the volume UP. When I got there, That has never happened before. I set up my amp as I usually did, adjusting the master volume to what was, by ear, my normal playing level. To my surprise the soundman asked me asked to turn UP. Although the sound on stage was as I liked it, apparently it was too quiet FOH. Through the night (we played for about 90 mins as only one other performer braved the inclement weather) I could hear myself more clearly than before. The performance area is cramped and I am just about on top of the cabinet but I could hear the notes clearly, more mids were getting to my ears. Now I am no short arm, I am well over 6ft so they have a long way to go. I went home happier than I have for a while.

On Saturday we had a paid gig at the same venue. As on Thursday the clarity close up was noticeable and unlike on Thursday,  I  used my wireless system and could go deep into the audience. The sound was great, overall the bottom end seemed well controlled and I could hear myself. It seemed like the low mids were clearer to me up close to that cab and they were nice and clear further back  I should add here that we all have a really poor memory when it comes to sound. Unless you can A/B two items one after the other any comments are subjective at least. However although I was largely happy with the Mk 2 cabinet, It was worth the effort and expense to build the Mk 3.

I should add that I did not buy new drivers and both the 12" driver and compression driver have been in use for some (probably 100) in the Mk 2 cabinet,

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

...I set up my amp as I usually did, adjusting the master volume to what was, by ear, my normal playing level. To my surprise the soundman asked me asked to turn UP. Although the sound on stage was as I liked it, apparently it was too quiet FOH.....

I wonder if that is because you could hear yourself better on stage, whereas normally you would have to be louder, hence your FOH sound was relatively quieter to previous exploits. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RichardH said:

I wonder if that is because you could hear yourself better on stage, whereas normally you would have to be louder, hence your FOH sound was relatively quieter to previous exploits. 

That is exactly what I think although Stevie will probably chip in on that. The cabinet is a little taller than the MK2 and of course the horn is rotate 90 degrees giving better vertical dispersion above the  crossover point. Although most of what I am hearing is harmonics, that makes the definition of the note clearer. 

Edited by Chienmortbb
  • Like 1

Here's one in toughcab green moss, waiting for material for the grille.  The green isn't as blue as it seems in the pictures - its more of a british racing green.

I got it all assembled and then remembered I don't have any cables that will fit, so can't tell you what it sounds like I'm afraid.  But it looks ace.

Thanks again for brilliance of Stevie and all the other helpers.

cab2.jpg

cab1.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, converse320 said:

Here's one in toughcab green moss, waiting for material for the grille.  The green isn't as blue as it seems in the pictures - its more of a british racing green.

I got it all assembled and then remembered I don't have any cables that will fit, so can't tell you what it sounds like I'm afraid.  But it looks ace.

cab2.jpg

cab1.jpg

Oh my word that looks great. I have literally just picked up some black Tuff Cab and think I may have made a mistake. 

4 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Is this more like it?

578EE978-15AE-46FC-A755-65018F9A8BE3.jpeg

Its a bit darker and greener still.  I would have called it British racing Green.  This one is still a bit too blue.  On my uncalibrated monitor.   I'm very pleased with the colour and finish.  It's pretty much perfectly even.   I found I got the best finish by giving it a quick coat for coverage, then rollering it out after a few minutes.  It's hard to get a perfectly even finish if you try to roller it out immediately.  But don't leave it more than a few minutes, it goes off very quickly.  You just need a dryish roller with light pressure to set the crinkles at the end, after you have covered it properly.

I think red would look good.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, converse320 said:

Its a bit darker and greener still.  I would have called it British racing Green.  This one is still a bit too blue.  On my uncalibrated monitor.   I'm very pleased with the colour and finish.  It's pretty much perfectly even.   I found I got the best finish by giving it a quick coat for coverage, then rollering it out after a few minutes.  It's hard to get a perfectly even finish if you try to roller it out immediately.  But don't leave it more than a few minutes, it goes off very quickly.  You just need a dryish roller with light pressure to set the crinkles at the end, after you have covered it properly.

Oh dear Yes can feel another cab build coming on!

1 hour ago, converse320 said:

I would have gone for red on mine, like a darker red, but it was out of stock and I couldn't be arsed to wait!

I finally got to try it at some sort of volume as I had a practice for the other group. Had a bit of a panic, I plugged it in and played and there was no sound but then i noticed the amp wasn't showing anything going in, for some reason it was a dodgy lead. 

It is so clear and bright, it was a great sound (even at a lower volume you could hear it much better). I realised I should have set up my older speakers too so I could see what the difference was. But I am pretty impressed.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, stewblack said:

I think it looks amazing in green. I was thinking of Trace Elliot green. Maybe even carpet. I like carpet on a cab. 

Now, much as I like carpet, I do think it would be a lot harder and probably heavier.  But Tuffcab in Pistachio would be great.  I had a Lotus Elan about 40 years ago and I always dreamed of getting it resprayed Pistachio......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, converse320 said:

cab2.jpg

cab1.jpg

that looks amazing! I was swithering between doing green and matching my Walkabout cab or trying something else... 

Influenced by your suitcases too... you could go for leather corners?!

_DSF8576.thumb.JPG.f7651216635b84b15d9117e9b78e4d66.JPG

• Like 1

Leather corners would be great.   The radiuses are pretty tight though as its fairly thin ply, so not sure if it would work - but thats a great suggestion, I was going for the Mesa Boogie basket weave look as I'll be using a D-180 with it.  The fabric is going to be this one:

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/Grillcloth_x/Mojotone-Black-Tan-GrillCloth

New cable came in the post this morning so I've had a bit of a play with it with an Ampeg PF20 and bass.  First thing I noticed is how efficient it is compared to the cabinet I use most, which is an old 1516 diesel cabinet.  It goes deafeningly loud  with  volume about half way up.  

Second thing I noticed is that there is much less hum coming through than with the other cabinet - Ive always found the Ampeg a bit poor in the hum department, but its much better with the this cab.   I don't know why this would be.  Maybe I was using a better socket.  

Next I noticed I needed to file my nails; there is a LOT of high frequency information available if you want it.  Its very clear and natural though.  Bass was hard to judge, as the room didnt like low frequencies very much.  The floor was shaking at quite low volumes.  It clearly goes very low if you want it to.

It seems to respond very quickly and predictably to tone controls as well - the PF20 is definitely a good match to it.   And I really I can't imagine many situations where you'd need more power.  High efficiency is a nice and unexpected bonus, I think lots of low powered amps will give you all the volume you need with this cabinet.

Impressed so far.  I'll try it with an electric piano when my daughter comes in from school - thats what I built it for really

• Like 3

I bet these cabs would be a great basis for a Helix + power amp setup either with guitar or (of course) bass.

In other news, my cab building journey has finally begun - although in a slightly disjointed way. I had managed to buy some poplar ply from Mike Walsh (Zoot bass) - who has stopped building the Purple Chili cabs to allow him to focus on building basses. He had a sheet or so of poplar ply left over, and sold me the ply with the basic cuts done for me. I moved house this year and have now (finally) got a lovely shed (albeit without lights and power yet) - but other priorities keep getting in the way (redecorating, rebuilding etc) that for some inexplicable reason according to other members of the household (ahem) should take precedence.  

Anyway, Mike has taken pity on me, and has offered to put the cabs together for me. I should stress that he is doing this as a favour to me - he is NOT going to make any of these cabs commercially, and doesn't have much left in the way of the poplar ply anyway. Stevie's flatpack kits are a much more sensible way to go!

Mike has some odds and ends of hardware left as well, so there may be a couple of cosmetic differences (connector plate, different feet etc), but the important stuff (port, drivers, wadding etc) will be to Stevie's spec. The ply is going to be 12mm in the main (as that is what he had left), though with the baffle done in 15mm. I'd originally intended to do it in 12mm but with a 12mm baltic birch baffle, but since there was a bit of 15mm poplar available, then that will be used. Of course this also means that the dimensions of the panels will need slight adjustments.

I had always intended to build a pair of cabs, but one is going to be without tweeter. Stevie has recommended that when used together, the tweeterless cab should have a low pass added at around 500Hz, so there is little or no interference between the two boxes. We'll see what happens there when we get further along the road.

basschat-cab-1.jpg

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RichardH said:

I bet these cabs would be a great basis for a Helix + power amp setup either with guitar or (of course) bass.

In other news, my cab building journey has finally begun - although in a slightly disjointed way. I had managed to buy some poplar ply from Mike Walsh (Zoot bass) - who has stopped building the Purple Chili cabs to allow him to focus on building basses. He had a sheet or so of poplar ply left over, and sold me the ply with the basic cuts done for me. I moved house this year and have now (finally) got a lovely shed (albeit without lights and power yet) - but other priorities keep getting in the way (redecorating, rebuilding etc) that for some inexplicable reason according to other members of the household (ahem) should take precedence.  

Anyway, Mike has taken pity on me, and has offered to put the cabs together for me. I should stress that he is doing this as a favour to me - he is NOT going to make any of these cabs commercially, and doesn't have much left in the way of the poplar ply anyway. Stevie's flatpack kits are a much more sensible way to go!

Mike has some odds and ends of hardware left as well, so there may be a couple of cosmetic differences (connector plate, different feet etc), but the important stuff (port, drivers, wadding etc) will be to Stevie's spec. The ply is going to be 12mm in the main (as that is what he had left), though with the baffle done in 15mm. I'd originally intended to do it in 12mm but with a 12mm baltic birch baffle, but since there was a bit of 15mm poplar available, then that will be used. Of course this also means that the dimensions of the panels will need slight adjustments.

I had always intended to build a pair of cabs, but one is going to be without tweeter. Stevie has recommended that when used together, the tweeterless cab should have a low pass added at around 500Hz, so there is little or no interference between the two boxes. We'll see what happens there when we get further along the road.

basschat-cab-1.jpg

This could be very interesting.