Why become a member? ×

Stevie’s 12” FRFR Cab Build Thread (Basschat Cab v3)

funkle

59 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Stuck the legs on with those things mentioned earlier, the insert nuts - they work well

IMG_5963.jpg.3dbe105e232a2d339b1450840ede9b03.jpg

So now, apart from the grille on the front, its done, I have plugged it in, I have played it and all is good!

IMG_5970.thumb.jpg.263bafbc8893df5168a47472389a7dab.jpg

IMG_5971.thumb.jpg.424003108eeb215e3866dff4d63bb92b.jpg

Looks great - I can’t wait to get mine more finished. 

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Stuck the legs on with those things mentioned earlier, the insert nuts - they work well

IMG_5963.jpg.3dbe105e232a2d339b1450840ede9b03.jpg

So now, apart from the grille on the front, its done, I have plugged it in, I have played it and all is good!

IMG_5970.thumb.jpg.263bafbc8893df5168a47472389a7dab.jpg

IMG_5971.thumb.jpg.424003108eeb215e3866dff4d63bb92b.jpg

What roller did you use to get that finish. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, stevie said:

Here's a drawing of the handle with some more information. This one shows the cutout diameter as 147mm.

And yet another that doesn't tell you much but at least gets the cutout diameter right.

111252_2.pdf 255.24 kB · 7 downloads

111252.pdf 171.35 kB · 6 downloads

Based on the drawings I expect each hole was 1degree or about 0.5mm offset but the offsets would be the opposite way between adjacent holes. The result is that no hole is exactly right for the handle to be exactly parallel to the front and back. Whether your eye would see it is another matter. 

I remembered from looking at the pictures I didn't put the corners on. I painted the grille today as it was sort of warm and dry outside, so gave it a few undercoats and a single coat of black, but then it started raining so it is in the shed drying for a while.

probably put it on tomorrow and then I guess I will be complete, and the only thing left to do is gig it!

49 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I remembered from looking at the pictures I didn't put the corners on. I painted the grille today as it was sort of warm and dry outside, so gave it a few undercoats and a single coat of black, but then it started raining so it is in the shed drying for a while.

probably put it on tomorrow and then I guess I will be complete, and the only thing left to do is gig it!

And then report back on how it gigs :)

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Last picture (promise!) - got the grille on, and now I am thinking I might put side legs on it as well!

IMG_0215.thumb.jpg.4178c41c595ae5d590576597b13c5b8a.jpg

When I was looking though the plans I did wonder if the height being perfect width for rack gear was by accident or design 

5 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I'm just waiting for someone to say the sound dispersionationisation  won't work that way up!

Sounded pretty good sitting in front of it. But it is not a big room. Will take it to practice on thursday and decide if I will gig it next weekend. I suspect I will regardless.

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Sounded pretty good sitting in front of it. But it is not a big room. Will take it to practice on thursday and decide if I will gig it next weekend. I suspect I will regardless.

Hey - I'm not saying it! I think it looks awesome and being a fellow CTM owner I can't wait to hear your review of them together.

Edited by stewblack

16 hours ago, stewblack said:

I'm just waiting for someone to say the sound dispersionationisation  won't work that way up!

It'll sound fine that way up, but if I were intending to use it like that all the time, I'd turn the horn round to increase the vertical dispersion of the compression driver/horn. The cab is quite low down and you'll hear more of the important upper mids with the horn reoriented when you are standing close to the cab.

Unfortunately, turning the horn round means taking a jigsaw to the baffle, but it's a fairly simple task. The good news is that the horn frontplate is square and you can therefore use the same holes.

I'd love to claim that there was a great plan, but the fact that the cab works like this for rack gear is pure serendipity.🙂 Looks good though (although it's definitely going to need four more feet). The question is: where to put the badge?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stevie said:

Looks good though (although it's definitely going to need four more feet). The question is: where to put the badge?

I know - tricky, unless I do the bose trick.

Most of the time I will be using it with my TC450, and using it upright, as nature intended, but it does look nice that way round.

I went over to Stevie’s on Monday to look at the counter on his coil winder. As my cab was almost complete he suggested I take it over and he would measure it. 

The result  was that the response was ruler flat to about 5.5KHz, where there was a slight peak and 7KHz where there was a slight dip. According to Stevie, these could be flattened by tweaking the crossover values and were due to differences in the drivers. 

So could you hear them? No compared to a studio monitor, also in the room, you could not tell the two apart.

What this does show is that unless commercial manufacturers individually tune each and every cabinet, there will be differences. This probably applies to active PA cabinets too.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LukeFRC said:

Also - my tip - buy the metal grill as Stevie recommends - the frame for the grill cloth is turning out to be harder work than it would have been just buying the metal grill

I did that on my MK2 and I should have warned everyone to steer clear. I have the Aluminium grille and it is so much easier. 

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

I did that on my MK2 and I should have warned everyone to steer clear. I have the Aluminium grille and it is so much easier. 

I’ve just come within a whisker of ordering a grill - then tried my insect mesh grill cloth and it actually looked ok over the black baffel so erm until my frame falls to pieces I may stick with that 

35 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I’ve just come within a whisker of ordering a grill - then tried my insect mesh grill cloth and it actually looked ok over the black baffel so erm until my frame falls to pieces I may stick with that 

Mine did eventually fall apart but that was because the frame was too flimsy. My fault. 

Edited by Chienmortbb