Why become a member? ×

Stevie’s 12” FRFR Cab Build Thread (Basschat Cab v3)

funkle

I've now heard back from Roqsolid regarding a cover. For one of their Ampguard felt lined covers with your choice of binding the price is £41.36. This price includes postage if you use the discount voucher" basschat"  on checkout - this is only valid for purchase of this cover only. follow this link to see the quote  https://amplifiercoversonline.com/tinyurls/6

They just want me to send them a handle cut out template before making one. My thought would be a 150mm diameter circular hole in the top corresponding to the handle dish diameter. What do you think?

• Like 1

Well, got a bit of paint on, first coat, it looks a bit more like a cab now. That Tuff Cab is weird stuff isn't it?!

I decided to get some M6 tee nuts and put them on the outside of the cab as there are a few places we play that have old tile or concrete floors that are uneven, and the cabs I have at the moment wobble like mad. If I have them on the outside, I can put a bolt through the foot, a nut on the otherside and screw them into the cab, so I can unscrew them to level it. Anything sound wrong with that as an idea?

IMG_5945.thumb.jpg.ce054ada4384fcd62bdb06a5d7b677e5.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, got a bit of paint on, first coat, it looks a bit more like a cab now. That Tuff Cab is weird stuff isn't it?!

I decided to get some M6 tee nuts and put them on the outside of the cab as there are a few places we play that have old tile or concrete floors that are uneven, and the cabs I have at the moment wobble like mad. If I have them on the outside, I can put a bolt through the foot, a nut on the otherside and screw them into the cab, so I can unscrew them to level it. Anything sound wrong with that as an idea?

IMG_5945.thumb.jpg.ce054ada4384fcd62bdb06a5d7b677e5.jpg

you might need to use two nuts on the inside to act as a locknut. 
To solve a similar problem we use a small bit of carpet underlay under the foot of our kitchen table - mechanically far simpler!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

you might need to use two nuts on the inside to act as a locknut. 
To solve a similar problem we use a small bit of carpet underlay under the foot of our kitchen table - mechanically far simpler!

True, but you aren't taking your kitchen table to different dodgy pubs!

I just had a thought that might interest builders using the aluminium grille. Because it's 1.5mm thick and relatively stiff, it doesn't actually need the full picture frame used to support the expanded metal grille. Six individual support points should be ample, with one in the centre if you want. Use wood or maybe even rubber feet as standoffs. EBS use pieces of hosepipe cut to size as standoffs.

As my assembled cab already has the picture-frame grille support fitted, you'll have to experiment a bit with this idea on your own. Please post your results for everyone to see. The good news is that removing the full grille support and fitting the aluminium grille will bring the weight of the cab down to well under 13kg.

Edited by stevie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, stevie said:

I wish I'd thought of it earlier, chaps. However, even with the full grille support, you should still comfortably hit the 13kg mark if you use the aluminium grille.

There is a visual cleanliness to the frame though. 

I need to make a removable frame to stretch grill cloth onto. Velcro (or unbranded alternative) is the way to go I think 

4 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

I need to make a removable frame to stretch grill cloth onto. Velcro (or unbranded alternative) is the way to go I think 

Attach the cloth however seems best but staple the velcro. Having worked as an upholsterer I can tell you no adhesive will hold as strong as the velcro holds to itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

Yes, the frame looks fine. I was just thinking of ways of saving weight, and the grille support frame probably weighs 3 to 400g.

19 minutes ago, stevie said:

We may eventually see a vinyl-covered version then, Stew? That would be cool.

Possibly...but let's wait and see, have a few things up for sale but not much moving anywhere right now. Already taken some big hits, market very sluggish. But if I can shift just a couple  of bits then my name is firmly on a kit.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Possibly...but let's wait and see, have a few things up for sale but not much moving anywhere right now. Already taken some big hits, market very sluggish. But if I can shift just a couple  of bits then my name is firmly on a kit.

should we ask what you're selling? 

On 27/10/2019 at 14:51, Woodinblack said:

There's another alternative - two feet at the front and one foot in the centre at the rear. Triangles are stable (hence three-legged milking stools).

• Like 3

Stevie is this the grille you used? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292422094116 10MM Diameter Holes PERFORATED Sheet - 4 Materials - Popular Pre Cut Sizes? It has round holes but I thought I saw a picture of yours with hexagonal perforations. I have a quote £19 for this one.

Edited by Chienmortbb

59 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Stevie is this the grille you used? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292422094116 10MM Diameter Holes PERFORATED Sheet - 4 Materials - Popular Pre Cut Sizes? It has round holes but I thought I saw a picture of yours with hexagonal perforations. I have a quote £19 for this one.

Yes. 1.5 mm Aluminium Perforated 10 mm Holes 384 x 567 mm. You have to contact them and specify the size you'd like them to cut. They charged me £15 incl.  delivery, which is what I'd expect them to charge you. They put a special Ebay ad up for me for that specific size, but have now taken it down.