Why become a member? ×

A great bass... I know it belongs to somebody of the forum

1 hour ago, Jus Lukin said:

He's also selling his 60's Burns and Warwick Star Bass!

Is everything alright @BigRedX?

Yes everything is fine.

I've just had a very serious think about the instruments I'm using with the bands I'm playing in right now and those which have just been sitting in their cases for the last year without getting any playing time. Also, I'm looking at getting Gus to make me a Bass VI so the money will come in useful!

I am keeping my two fretted Gus G3 5-strings and the G1 Guitar.

There will be some more interesting guitars and basses appearing over the next week or so...

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2

On 05/08/2019 at 15:27, fleabag said:

After all that carbon and dye and whatnot, it just sounds like a million basses

Of course it does. All bass guitars have a fundamental bass guitar sound.

What you get with this bass (or any other that has not been mass-produced) is an excellent constructed and supremely playable instrument which looks different from mainstream. That's what some people want. Others are quite happy with a Squier P-Bass.

On 05/08/2019 at 10:17, Grangur said:

Prince ordered one like this shortly before he passed on. If you can't take too much of Scott's preamble, cut to 2:00.

Dare I say it looks like a bass conceived by the man who makes dachshunds out of ballons...

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, paul_c2 said:

Can you explain to me the rationale behind setting the listing price? I can see its relisted, and was at £2500 with 0 bids previously. Are you not too worried about selling it, just want to wait for the best possible price?

The price is what it is.

As I said in the listing if you wanted a new Gus bass to this specification you would be looking at just over £5,000 and at least a 12 months wait. So for half the price you can get one that is in virtually new condition right now. There isn't a great deal of variation in the specifications of a Gus bass - the most important ones are whether it comes with single coil or humbucking pickups, and active or passive controls. IMO this bass suits single coils so I would imagine that if someone was looking at a 4-string fretless Gus this is hat they would choose. You might want a different finish, but that can easily and relatively cheaply be fixed by sending it back to Simon Farmer. I had my Red 5-string completely overhauled, and refinished including all the metal parts re-profiled and re-chromed for about £800. A simple refinish would be a lot less than that.

I'm not particularly desperate to sell, it's just that I've taken a hard look at the basses I am using (and which I'm likely to be using in the future) and this bass isn't one of them. At the moment it spends most of its time in its case. I don't play any basses that aren't 5-strings or Bass VIs, and that is unlikely to change any time soon.

Also, unlike here, where everyone seems to spend a large amount of time perusing the eBay listings, it is my experience that most people just dip in and out of the eBay when the fancy takes them. I've sold plenty of other expensive guitars and basses there, and some are quicker to sell than others.

IME sometimes items sell within hours of posting the listing if someone makes a suitable offer, other times it can take much longer (and still end in a bidding frenzy at the end).

Besides there is a great big "Make An Offer" button right underneath the "Bid Now" one. I'm open to sensible ones.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

I guess that is why you've chosen not to list it on BC?

I would imagine that everyone on Basschat who is interested in buying this bass has already seen it on eBay as a result of this thread.

Plus my previous experience of selling basses here has made me reluctant to use this site to sell any more. You can see from some the comments in this thread that on the whole Basschat is not the sort of place that this bass will appeal to.

• Like 1

In fairness though, couldn't that be said about ANY bass? That it won't appeal to everyone, only a proportion, or even a minority, of players? But you don't need to sell it to 2000 (or however many there are) members of this forum, you only need one person to buy it.

PS I'm the kind of person who'd be happy with a Squier P-bass.

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Plus my previous experience of selling basses here has made me reluctant to use this site to sell any more. You can see from some the comments in this thread that on the whole Basschat is not the sort of place that this bass will appeal to.

Sadly I think you are correct, and given that you haven't actively promoted it save answering questions here I fail to see anything wrong with what you are doing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Billy Apple said:

That's a canny logic for not wanting to support the site.

I'm  alright Jack... Push the boat off!

That a poor argument, just quoting the part of my post that supports your view and not the part that explains my reasons for not advertising here.

And they are this:

Based on past experience I will be wasting my money and my time advertising this bass on Basschat. It was bad enough when I was selling the sorts of basses that should do well here, but what I got was endless "tyre kickers" and quibbling over what I considered to be a very competitive price and further arguments when my choice of delivery service and insurance was more expensive than what the potential buyer wanted to pay. And this was for a sub £200 bass.

But, I'll make a deal with you. If the person who buys this bass on eBay says that they saw the eBay sale as a result of this thread, then I'll make a donation to basschat of the amount it would have cost me to advertise here. You can't say fairer than that.

• Like 3

My biggest gripe about trying to sell basses here is the avalanche of messages asking what it weighs, and never hearing from any of them ever again. Not even a 'thanks, but too heavy/too light for me' response. Just zilch. 

I only have four basses now, and two of them (the four stringers) mate well be up for sale in the next 12 months, as might half my gigging amps & cabs.

• Thanks 1

• ped locked this topic