Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs Don’t Work

Billy Apple

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

210817_poutine.jpg;w=630

Poutine: A popular dish of French-Canadian origin comprising chips, brown gravy and cheese curds

Top Tip For Easy Poutine: If they have't got cheese curds at your supermarket you can just substitute monkey spunk.

One is left wondering how a chap can know this.  Whilst fully appreciating your wide and varied education, travels and adventures there are perhaps some chapters that require further exposition. Your readers await... I can only wonder what I consumed at the restaurant MonoBallon, Rue de Teste,  Bouzille, during my recent European tour.  As an aside, to un homme, Johnny foreigner had an interesting take on Brexit, not at all up for it.

Edited by 3below
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

......you can just substitute monkey spunk.

It's surprising how often that little store cupboard standby has come to the rescue of a mundane recipe. Of course, only the larger Waitrose have it in stock although you can get it online from Ocado.

We're lucky up here in the rural Wolds - we can get it fresh from the Farmers Market in Louth on a Wednesday (that said, Simian Simon, the local monkey chuckler has been in Magaluf for the last couple of weeks so there's been no fresh while he's been away. No doubt he'll be in a hell of a mood when he gets back till he's caught up again.)

• Haha 3

On 07/08/2019 at 00:30, skankdelvar said:

I never said that eyeball vices don't work and even if I did my words have been quoted out of context. I may on one occasion many years ago have said that eyeball vices don't work but I was a young person at the time and I have since been on a personal journey which has taught me that eyeball vices work.

Many of my best friends are eyeball vices and my record as a supporter of enhanced rights for eyeball vices is unchallenged. My supporters will tell you there is not an anti-eyeball vice bone in my body. Any suggestion to the contrary will attract the attentions of my solicitors Messrs. Sue, Grabbit and Run.

If we're back to being silly - this reminds me of that time when I had a very delicate conversation with my sex-doctor (a delightful young lady from Paris), about Philippe Pétain and the Vichy French, while she had my knackers in a testicle vice...

I defy @DoubleOhStephan to produce a picture of a testis vice. 😄

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

Worrying, isn't it?

Perhaps we should take a step backward and divert the course of discussion in another direction...

kittens-in-basket.jpg?itok=7mZDIHOZ

Are you suggesting we put them in a vice?

Or have i misunderstood yet again?😻

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

Cheers Skank. 

That's obviously a vintage model, these days the incorporation of electrical stimulation has taken "pleasure" to a different level... 

PD1000_0001_2__32933_zoom_large.jpg

But is it any good for metal? 🤘

:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

That's obviously a vintage model, these days the incorporation of electrical stimulation has taken "pleasure" to a different level... 

Vintage? That looks suspiciously like Skank has put that together in his home workshop using spares obtained from Allparts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Teebs said:

Or the names of Frank Zappa's grandchildren?

:D

That reminds me of a frightfully cruel** joke that did the rounds after Paula Yates' unfortunate death...

When police searched Paula Yates' house, they found Amphetamine Sulphate and Angel Dust... but there was no sign of her other two children.

** or not, depending on your POV and SOH

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Well, we talked about earplugs a few times on Finnbass, but I don't think this issue ever came up.

Is there hearing damage that can occur via another mechanism than excessive sound arriving at the cochlea, wahtever its transmission route (and not including physical damage to tympanum, malleum, stapes, or the other one)? Because if it's sound arriving at the cochlea that causes the damage, you'd hear the sound. So if something made the sound a lot quieter, it would reduce the potential hearing damage.

As an experiment, I tried talking to myself. When riding a motorcycle at 90mph on a closed private test track, failing to use earplugs results in excessive and painful noise levels, thus demonstrating that a helmet does not act as ear defenders. When wearing a pair of Howard Leight's finest Maxes, the level of noise is considerably reduced. This allows me to talk to myself at a volume lower than normal conversational volume and still hear myself without having to ask myself to repeat myself. Obviously this is possible through bone conduction. As the noise level is considerably reduced, surely this demonstrates that earplugs, even of the 50p a pair 33dB orange bell variety, are effective.

All tests conducted on a closed private test track by a rider who hears no internal voices.

• Haha 3