Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs Don’t Work

Billy Apple

3 hours ago, Rich said:

It seems to me that as a singing bassist, I'm fairly screwed. I get the impression that vented moulded plugs are pretty much the only way? Other than ear defenders which, errm, no.
Up to now I've been reliant on, and happy with, my trusty old Etymotic ER20 plugs. They certainly do the trick attenuation-wise, but on the basis of what I've read above I'm thinking maybe they're not such a good idea for singing gigs..?

Time to get into in ears! 

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

After the age of 30 the top treble freqs start being very muted anyway.

That's why those "mosquito" teenager repelling noise makers work for teenagers and not the middle aged.

bizarrely , I only started using earplugs then ACS in recent  years and those cat scarers are loud enough to me , but I is down wiv the kidz :sun_bespectacled:

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 20:23, wateroftyne said:

The ACS PRO17s have changed by life.

A flat response, I can have conversations at a normal level with them in, and I can sing without it feeling strange.

Custom moulded, and only £40 quid(!!!!) via the Musician's hearing scheme. Incredible.

I don't know what the audiologist referred to in the OP is on about, but when I gig with these in there seems to be absolutely nothing that could damage my hearing. I'd need to know more.

On the back of your recommendation, I applied to this scheme -- I'm not a pro musician by any stretch, but I thought "ah well, nothing ventured", attached links to yootoob vids and facebook pages etc of my various bands to the application, and they've accepted me. Just waiting for my appointment to be arranged. Thanks for the tip..!

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

On the back of your recommendation, I applied to this scheme -- I'm not a pro musician by any stretch, but I thought "ah well, nothing ventured", attached links to yootoob vids and facebook pages etc of my various bands to the application, and they've accepted me. Just waiting for my appointment to be arranged. Thanks for the tip..!

You're very welcome! I hope you find them as much of a revelation as I did (and still do..).

• Like 2

On 04/08/2019 at 21:25, Billy Apple said:

He was talking about how humans hear and that it’s a misconception that sound is just detected via the ear canal. As far as I’m concerned he is shouting about it, maybe people don’t want to listen?

As someone who is technically deaf in one ear (all the little bones that connect to the ear drum aren't connected anymore) I can confirm that I do hear stuff in the deaf one a bit still.

This explains it, and makes this whole thread worthwhile for me.

Also - custom moulded plugs have changed my life, and if I don't stick one in the deaf ear, the tinnitus in it gets worse.

Hearing is complicated.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BassThing said:

I can firm the headline is true. I have tried earplugs fried, boiled, grilled, oven baked, etc but they still taste like sh*t, even if covered with copious amounts of chilli sauce. Yup, ear plugs don't work (as a meat substitute).

Thought you were going to say earplugs don’t Wok. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Then there's:

Why do Elephants paint their toenails red?
So they can hide in cherry trees

Why do ducks have flat feet?
So they can stamp out forest fires

Why do elephants have flat feet?
So they jump out of the cherry trees and stamp out the blazing ducks

• Haha 2

My wife's just gone to the West Indies

Jamaica?

No, we've got a villa in Barbados we go to every year but she's gone out early this time because I've got a business presentation in Frankfurt and the nice thing is that the villa pays for itself because we let it out to friends we can trust and the woman who cleans and looks after the keys is an absolute treasure and costs peanuts; mind you, the only problem is there's one couple who go there every June and the husband always has a tendency to slip one or two of the books we leave for guests into his bag and brings them home with him because he says he didn't get around to finishing them and he always claims he'll bring them round to us but he never does and we always say we'll really have to mention this to him but we don't like to cause a scene over a couple of books although the last time he did it he took my copy of Polly Toynbee's book about social capital and a new one would cost £29.99 on Amazon and I just couldn't buy a second-hand copy, that would be simply de trop.

Edited by skankdelvar
mis-spelling fo Frankfurt
  • Haha 6

I haven't got the stamina to read another seven pages... but ... surely saying bone conduction means earplugs don't work is a bit like saying sunglasses don't work because light can get around the sides -wear a welding helmet.

It's absolutely true but only relevant if you are exposed to an extreme sound/UV source.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

Too late, my friend. We're onto stupid jokes.

We thought we'd have a change from fish and cheese puns, eh?*

* I'm practising for my Canadian citizenship examination

I should have guessed... it was all far too earnest 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, skankdelvar said:

Too late, my friend. We're onto stupid jokes.

We thought we'd have a change from fish and cheese puns, eh?*

* I'm practising for my Canadian citizenship examination

* Then you, sir, will require fish and poutine.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ezbass said:

poutine

210817_poutine.jpg;w=630

Poutine: A popular dish of French-Canadian origin comprising chips, brown gravy and cheese curds

Top Tip For Easy Poutine: If they have't got cheese curds at your supermarket you can just substitute monkey spunk.

Edited by skankdelvar
  • Haha 3