Why become a member? ×

Ear Plugs Don’t Work

Billy Apple

1 hour ago, la bam said:

Music is played and measured at 100db. This is considered harmful. BUT you are using a set of ear plug that give a 30db perceived reduction, which makes you feel as if it's at the same levels as 70db. However, due to the pressure levels you are still doing yourself harm as the music is now so loud you suffer the effects of bone conduction that you are not protected from.

If you’re using ACS 17s they’re only 17db so “they don’t work”, they’ll only reduce the sound levels to 83db which is still above the HSE legal limits. The most attenuation you can get are the ACS 27s which would take the levels down to 73db. That’s assuming 100db. A drum kit on its own could be 90-130db (according to a quick google)

So plugs on their own “won’t work” in that scenario.

But that’s for legal levels in the workplace according to the HSE. 

Edited by TimR

5 hours ago, DoubleOhStephan said:

It that so?? So how do you explain this?! 

zeyeswap.jpg

I never said that eyeball vices don't work and even if I did my words have been quoted out of context. I may on one occasion many years ago have said that eyeball vices don't work but I was a young person at the time and I have since been on a personal journey which has taught me that eyeball vices work.

Many of my best friends are eyeball vices and my record as a supporter of enhanced rights for eyeball vices is unchallenged. My supporters will tell you there is not an anti-eyeball vice bone in my body. Any suggestion to the contrary will attract the attentions of my solicitors Messrs. Sue, Grabbit and Run.

• Haha 4

It seems to me that as a singing bassist, I'm fairly screwed. I get the impression that vented moulded plugs are pretty much the only way? Other than ear defenders which, errm, no.
Up to now I've been reliant on, and happy with, my trusty old Etymotic ER20 plugs. They certainly do the trick attenuation-wise, but on the basis of what I've read above I'm thinking maybe they're not such a good idea for singing gigs..?

8 minutes ago, Rich said:

It seems to me that as a singing bassist, I'm fairly screwed. I get the impression that vented moulded plugs are pretty much the only way? Other than ear defenders which, errm, no.
Up to now I've been reliant on, and happy with, my trusty old Etymotic ER20 plugs. They certainly do the trick attenuation-wise, but on the basis of what I've read above I'm thinking maybe they're not such a good idea for singing gigs..?

They should be fine unless you’re doing 8 hour gigs with stage volumes well above 100dB. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rich said:

...and also, as a singing bassist, I encourage you to give the ACS a go. For virtually pennies, the difference between them and the ER20s while singing is incredible.

• Thanks 1

Read the first couple of pages before it became childish and then just skimmed the rest.

I've protected my hearing for the last 20 years or so, mostly with vented plugs, mostly molded but off-the-shelf stuff as well.  In the last 5 years or so, I've used custom molded IEMs with ambient ports, which I suppose can be counted as vents.

However, in the last 10 years or so, I've noticed that I can no longer hear the very 'top end' frequencies in my right ear with a tiny amount of tinnitus.  I attribute this to the fact I usually stand with the drums on my right, with one of the cymbals right next to my lug 'ole.  And snare not far behind that.

My inner ear has changed (as they do over the years) and I was at the point where I needed them adjusted/re-molded but struggled to justify that kind of expense again.  I bought a second had pair of 3-driver isolating IEMs of eBay and the sound is great. 

Having read this though, it would seem that I should go back to the ported custom molds.  Don't think my hearing's got worse in the last few years of using them but can't be sure.

38 minutes ago, Sharkfinger said:

Read the first couple of pages before it became childish and then just skimmed the rest.

I've protected my hearing for the last 20 years or so, mostly with vented plugs, mostly molded but off-the-shelf stuff as well.  In the last 5 years or so, I've used custom molded IEMs with ambient ports, which I suppose can be counted as vents.

However, in the last 10 years or so, I've noticed that I can no longer hear the very 'top end' frequencies in my right ear with a tiny amount of tinnitus.  I attribute this to the fact I usually stand with the drums on my right, with one of the cymbals right next to my lug 'ole.  And snare not far behind that.

My inner ear has changed (as they do over the years) and I was at the point where I needed them adjusted/re-molded but struggled to justify that kind of expense again.  I bought a second had pair of 3-driver isolating IEMs of eBay and the sound is great. 

Having read this though, it would seem that I should go back to the ported custom molds.  Don't think my hearing's got worse in the last few years of using them but can't be sure.

After the age of 30 the top treble freqs start being very muted anyway.

That's why those "mosquito" teenager repelling noise makers work for teenagers and not the middle aged.

5 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

After the age of 30 the top treble freqs start being very muted anyway.

That's why those "mosquito" teenager repelling noise makers work for teenagers and not the middle aged.

Think it's gone a fair bit past 'muted' and my left ear is still fine.  

Now I think about it, I first really noticed it when I first got my IEMs.  With my finger, I covered the ambient port of my left ear-piece and the it muted the top-end.  Did the same with the right and it made bog-all difference.  Though the port was blocked, before I realized what the problem actually was.  

Without realizing it, I'd also started holding my phone against my left ear some time ago.  When I switch it back to my right, I definitely can't hear it as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharkfinger said:

Think it's gone a fair bit past 'muted' and my left ear is still fine.  

Now I think about it, I first really noticed it when I first got my IEMs.  With my finger, I covered the ambient port of my left ear-piece and the it muted the top-end.  Did the same with the right and it made bog-all difference.  Though the port was blocked, before I realized what the problem actually was.  

Without realizing it, I'd also started holding my phone against my left ear some time ago.  When I switch it back to my right, I definitely can't hear it as well.

Funnily enough, it's my right ear that gives me problems too. I also put it down to having the drummer to my right, but the more I've read into this subject, I'm now starting to think it may have more to do with using the headphones on my mobile. For my job I did a lot of conference calls, often when I was out and about, so always had the volume to the max to be able to hear anything. I'd also often take the left plug out a bit to counter the echo effect. I'm wondering now if that is what's given me tinnitus in my right ear. 😔

Ears suffer from attrition. Literally wear&tear. Due to age, exposure to high volumes, genetics and some medication (chemo, vancomycin and others) the inner ear deteriorates. When you suspect something is out of the ordinary: go see an ENT doc and do a clinical hearing test.

Asymmetrical hearing, everyone mumbling, pain, tinnitus, it doesn't matter. Make an appointment to have it checked out! 

Ask your ENT about earplugs. Ask them about bone conduction and the occlusion effect. This is why all Christmas tree style and molded earplugs have an open center canal, with the filter rated for certain decibels in it. Stop making assumptions and go have a chat. Even if the waiting list can be long.

1 hour ago, Chris2112 said:

If you're ever in any doubt as tho whether or not ear plugs work, try riding a fast motorbike without them. I use Auritech ear plugs when riding and they make a massive difference in cutting down wind noise. I wouldn't ride without them. 

Agree. I nick handfuls of earplugs from work for riding. Although the lid helps too. Just the bog-standard yellow 30db ones, but they are fine.

Have ended up with an ear infection from them though.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Billy Apple said:

Agree. I nick handfuls of earplugs from work for riding. Although the lid helps too. Just the bog-standard yellow 30db ones, but they are fine.

Have ended up with an ear infection from them though.

Hear, hear m8 i'll second that 👍