Why become a member? ×

Ashdown CTM 30

jimmy23cricket

Very nice. Out of curiosity, the one I’m looking at is the tweed version (only because it’s the only one I can find available at the moment). But anyway, I thought they were all handmade in the UK. The one I’m looking at appears to made in China. Not that that’s a major issue for me, but it seems odd that an amp marketed as made and hand wired in England has a version apparently made abroad? 

They’ve done batches in both UK and China; the last batch they’re actively advertising now is UK custom shop because they’ve strictly speaking moved on to the CTM30 Stubby head instead (which is equally awesome with a different preamp). 2/3 of my Ashdown heads (including my LB) are Chinese-made and are absolutely fine :)

I had one a few years back, it was probably the nicest sounding amp I ever had, but I wanted something louder and cleaner so traded up to the CTM-100. I reckon with a really efficient cab you could probably gig with it (if you didnt mid some break up).

20 hours ago, jimmy23cricket said:

So got it...nice little thing. Been in touch with Mark over at Ashdown for some info as it’s got a quirk in that the Bass and Mid EQ knob are flipped in position. I reckon it may be an early prototype or something...we’ll see! 

EC607FB1-4B0F-4E42-83C6-91DDE4DAE06A.jpeg

54F62D14-974B-4CE4-9FF9-4E5CFB72720B.jpeg

That EQ positioning is the same on the Little Bastard - due to the hand wiring and order of the preamp I think :)

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

Hi Reggae, nope just the actual positioning of the EQ. Goes Mid, Bass then Treble rather then the normal Bass, Mid then treble. Far as I can tell they are still boosting the right frequencies. I reckon I could gig it if I run it through 2 Hydrives...may be a bit gritty but ok for rock type stuff. The amp itself is beautiful though....lovely tweedy niceness! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimmy23cricket said:

Hi Reggae, nope just the actual positioning of the EQ. Goes Mid, Bass then Treble rather then the normal Bass, Mid then treble. Far as I can tell they are still boosting the right frequencies. I reckon I could gig it if I run it through 2 Hydrives...may be a bit gritty but ok for rock type stuff. The amp itself is beautiful though....lovely tweedy niceness! 

I do like the tweedy niceness 😁 . At home   I roll the treble fully off , bass on full and mid about 10 o clock, through a markbass NY 115 and it gives me a nice deep clear reggae tone .   I only use mine for home practice as I have other amps for use outside but I would say they are perfectly gigable 🙂

i